1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for some help with depression from the Bible

Discussion in 'Marriage and Relationships' started by Spookycolt, May 3, 2015.

1. Going through a divorce and sometimes the depression just seems overwhelming and admittedly I am not an expert on the Bible yet so I was wondering if perhaps anyone here may be able to direct me to some passages that may take me out of these slumps I go through.

I have thought about going back to my shrink for medication but that is not really a cure, its just a Band-Aid and I would really, desperately like to get past this.

Thank you
  2. #2 Mykuhl, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
    I am sorry to hear that you are going through depression, but please know that you can surely be free of it through Jesus Christ. I will pray for you. In the mean time, I have these scriptures for you to meditate on: Psalms 42:5, Psalms 23(all of it) this psalm is a comforting psalm but it is also one of victory. The Lord showed me this truth just recently. It was something I never saw before.
    Also, 2Corinthians 10:3-5. Every depressing thought and lie of the devil must be taken captive and replaced with the truth spoken in the Word of God.
    Cturtle likes this.
  3. Hello Spookycolt.
    Been there, done that. Getting divorced is a sad and frightening thing.
    There is more to it than depression. There is grief and loss, guilt, anger, fear of loneliness, fear judgement, etc. All these negative emotions are fear-based, and being caught in it points to forgetting to put one's faith into action.
    Read what you can in the Bible about facing our fears, putting faith into practice, putting our will and life into God's hands. Use your concordance if your bible has one. If not, do an Internet search for fighting depression in the bible.... such as
    Cturtle likes this.
  4. #4 Cturtle, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
    Hi Spookycolt,
    Hope you are doing well! I am sorry for your loss. I know that it is a very sad thing to go through, i cried a lot. My suggestion is to look up Joy or peace or rejoicing in your concordance. Philippians 4:13 it says that we can do all things through Him who gives us strength. Use Philippians 4:8-9 for training your mind on what to think about or on. And Philippians 4:4-7 for when you are depressed also.
    Colossians 1:12-14

Another suggestion is to just spend some time praising the Lord. Meditate on all of the good things that the Lord has done for you

Blessings! We will be praying that the Lord will surround you with peace and joy, and fill you full of laughter and a merry heart. May the comfort of the Holy Spirit consume you. In Jesus Name.
  5. I think, Whatever passage you read in the bible you can get relaxed when you not remember your past memories in your heart. Try to listen Christan songs and attend the events, will be helpful to come out of situations.
    hebrew roots bible
  6. One of the scriptures that I have used in the past in my consultations comes from Proverbs 12:25 - " 25 Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs it down,
    but a good word cheers it up." The word 'anxiety' in that verse is attributed to the original Hebrew descriptor phrase for what is now known in modern times as depression.

When we become stressed because of a very troubling situation, we can be overcome with emotion which sometimes leads to depression. However, if we pray to Our Heavenly Father to help us through our issues, our prayers will be answered - but on God's timetable, not ours. We experience the same things in our lives that most others experience. Paul told of this in 1 Corinthians 10:13 - Please keep in mind that the root word for 'temptations' in the following verse also means burdens in the 'street' Greek language commonly used in Paul's time. 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NLT) : " 13 The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure."

Our burdens are no different from the burdens of others... it is how we deal with those burdens that determines our level of emotion or depression. If we have faith in God and His master plan for us, these setbacks will eventually make us stronger and allow us to learn valuable life-lessons. If we surround ourselves with positive things and have the support of family and dear friends, our burdens will be lessened and our Father will be proud of us for managing things well. May God's blessings be with you and may you find the positive support that you seek.
  7. There is some excellent advice provided above.
    You will be in my prayers.
  8. I have been through a lot of abandonment, depression, anxiety, sadness my whole life. My family was a mess. I got into so many unhealthy , co-dependent relationships and i was always so sad. God and Bible always helped me , i got through abuse, single parenting, abandonment, and all of the issues that go with is thanks to God's word. one of my favorite ones is Matthew 11:28-30:
    28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
    29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
    30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Pray and God will give you rest. whatever you are going through He is right there with you. He made you a promise to never forsake you, to always protect you... which brings me to my other favorite verse :
    Isaiah 41:10
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.'

I have been through so much in my life and I repeated those verses in my head so many times. Believe me, they help. God will never forsake you.
    And please be careful with the psych medications, im a psych RN and i know the cost of psych medications.
    Cturtle likes this.