Ligt of the World

Light of the World

I do theatre lights for dramatic productions at my church. So when the pastor started preaching on Jesus being the light, my ears perked up. It also happens that the mesage of this year's production for Christmas is light of hope.

Last Sundays sermon was regarding the use in the Bible of different bodies of light to describe Jesus. Some interesting key points....

He's called the bright and morning star

Revelation 22:16 I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.

...But also described as the Sun

Malachi 4:2 But to you who fear My name The Sun of Righteousness shall arise With healing in His wings; And you shall go out And grow fat like stall-fed calves.
Scientifically, the sun is actually a star. The star that is the center of our little world. We travel around it, it sustains us, it has the power to destroy us.

As our Sun, Jesus has the power to destroy or heal...He IS the center of our world...or should be.

Jesus called us the light of the world.

Matthew 5:14 You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.

Dark is actually the absense of light.

If we are the light of the world, and we do not climb that hill, we allow darkness to reign.

Spiritual darkness is the absense of Jesus. If we do not share our light with others, they will remain in the dark.

Our world is in darkness BECAUSE we continue to take God out of the center of our world. Without God there can be no light.

Someone who has spent a large amount of time in the dark will cringe at the light, when it is introduced. Those who are in the dark will naturally despise the light.

This is why the world hates us. We are the light of the world...
candle.gif

Good post, Kitsap. I was reminded also how roaches scatter from the light. Who would want to be in the dark with a bunch of roaches?!?! (figuratively and literally.) :eek: Not me! I'll take the light any day. :)

Back