Lifting hands during worship

I just realized your username is TH420X... haha

I used to smoke pot, but I stopped when I became a Christian. It didn't give me the same feeling ever since.
Would you believe April 20th is my birthday? Maybe it was predestined! [emoji13]

Seriously though, cannabis is a plant given by God that can be used in a multitude of different ways. I don't want to derail your thread so we can have this discussion in another thread sometime, unless you really want to delve into it further here.

It definitely leads to more questions and maybe a more interesting discussion.
Cigars and alcohol are ambiguous, especially since for some people (like myself), I don't see any spiritual harm with these -- generally speaking...but getting drunk and high for the sake of getting drunk and high, or a use of language (I don't know what you say and in what context)...out of curiosity, do you think you're doing the right thing with these or do you believe it's something you need to address?
We could have that discussion sometime. Openly, privately, on the phone, however. And I believe what I do is the right thing. I could always do things better though. That will never change.

Why do we do it? I mean I know there are places in the Bible where it says to, but I get almost angry with the worship leader when he says "Lift your hands up!" and I do it because he said to. I don't worship God with my hands, and it feels awkward when I try to.

cosmic, please don't lift your hands in worship, just to serve the preferences of the worship leader......this is not worship for God, but submission to man......if lifting your hands do not express the true desire of your heart in worship toward God....skip doing that and find the ways that are truly worship in your person toward God.....
years ago, i was in a worship service where they were clapping to some ridiculous, childish song of alleged worship. God spoke suddenly to my mind and said, "STOP!! Don't do anything in worship toward Me that does not come from your heart!!"
i was hugely relieved i did not have to sing that ridiculous song or do the clapping i so much hated. my expressions of true worship are mainly in using my arms and hands. i would love to dance, but that is not my gift. though i admire those who do.
it might take a while to define what kinds of worship express your true heart toward God, but if you have the courage, God will be faithful to direct your journey.

cosmic, please don't lift your hands in worship, just to serve the preferences of the worship leader......this is not worship for God, but submission to man......if lifting your hands do not express the true desire of your heart in worship toward God....skip doing that and find the ways that are truly worship in your person toward God.....
years ago, i was in a worship service where they were clapping to some ridiculous, childish song of alleged worship. God spoke suddenly to my mind and said, "STOP!! Don't do anything in worship toward Me that does not come from your heart!!"
i was hugely relieved i did not have to sing that ridiculous song or do the clapping i so much hated. my expressions of true worship are mainly in using my arms and hands. i would love to dance, but that is not my gift. though i admire those who do.
it might take a while to define what kinds of worship express your true heart toward God, but if you have the courage, God will be faithful to direct your journey.

What so ever is not directed toward God in worship is actually witchcraft!

Why do we do it? I mean I know there are places in the Bible where it says to, but I get almost angry with the worship leader when he says "Lift your hands up!" and I do it because he said to. I don't worship God with my hands, and it feels awkward when I try to.

You don't answer to that guy.... You don't have to impress him.

If you find yourself getting angry during worship - try some other place.

I LOVE the lifting of hands during singing worship songs. I do it when I feel moved to and I tell those who raise their hands when they are leading worship that I love seeing it. I LOVE demonstrating it to others. I know it makes some people feel uncomfortable to see people DEMONSTRATING their relationship with Christ - but I refuse to let them stop me!!!! WAY too many people are WAY too uptight while worshiping and singing to God. I LOVE hearing Amens too. I don't think the Amens should dominate the message (translation: sermon) or the service, but we (the flock) need to show agreement and solidarity. :rolleyes:

ps IMO, TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE WAY TOO COMFORTABLE AT CHURCH! We need to shake off their complacency ! Let's shake things up a bit!

HEY everyone - what will you do to shake up your church??!!

I've thought about this thread question, and I think a better way to address it is to ask "Do forced actions change people or are actions just a reflection of a change that has already happened?". Personally idk the answer, but considering this is actually a pretty interesting philosophical question I figured i'd give this thread a bump. BUMP!

I will lift my hands as the spirit leads me .l feel with me it comes natral or has started to happen naturally when l worship

Mine are generally on the back of the pew in front of us, or when we go up to the altar for communion and kneel down and wait for the pastor to being the bread and wine, they are folded in front of me.

One of the local Lutheran churches. It's also the church that every third Thursday of the month we attend a MS Support Group. We have been doing that going on 3 years or so now.

It reminds me of this too much so I don't do it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417114997370.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417114997370.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 5

Perhaps you are ashamed or become "self" conscious (in which case do not do it, God wants your focus on Him during worship)...it is however one of the Bible's normal expressions of worship as is falling down on ones knees and and bowing ones face to the ground...its all about the heart

Back