Life Verses

Most of us have verses we have memorized over the years. They are the words we go to first, they are the words that we go to for comfort, peace, joy, understanding, and praise.
For most of my life my favorite verse has been Matthew 4:19, And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. (‭Matthew‬ ‭4‬:‭19‬ KJV). I chose this verse because it's the first that really spoke to me in a way that made a lasting impression. I have enjoyed fishing since I could walk so I naturally gravitated towards this particular verse. I was hooked. (Forgive the bad pun).
But now, a verse has picked me. It's not one you see embroidered on purses or tattooed on various body parts. It may not be highlighted in most people's bibles.
You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you! Trust in the LORD always, for the LORD GOD is the eternal Rock. (‭Isaiah‬ ‭26‬:‭3-4‬ NLT)
Fixing my thoughts on Jesus is something I thought I was good at. Until that habitual sin rears it's ugly head. Then the cycle of separation, grief, and repentance. The Holy Spirit spoke to me, I trade peace for sin in this instance. That brief moment when temptation wins out and I make a trade. My thoughts betray me, the sinful nature creeps in for that moment, and I trade peace for sin.
Now I have a new life verse, one given to me by the Holy Spirit, and I will not trade Him for anything.

Psalm 23. I recite it aloud when I drive a car lately in the night without other passengers and I am afraid of micro sleep. When I finish Psalm 23, I recite Psalm 1.
And there are hundreds of other verses that are important for me.

My favorite is Genesis 50:20
20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.

Romans 8 is my favorite chapter. "All things work together...", "We are more than conquerors...", "If God is for us who can be against us?" and
38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Also 1 Peter 4:
12 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. 13 But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. 14 If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.

Back