1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Learning Language Using The Bible

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Where is the Messiah, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Trying to learn another language. Anyone else use the bible to learn another language, or have tips for learning efficiently?
  2. Immersion! It's the only way. I started by watching movies I've already seen so I know what's going on. Watch a movie with that subtitle on the language you want. It's a start. Understand how it is you think. When I say house you see a house. Train your mind to see a house when you say/hear/read casa in Spanish, or whatever language you want.
  3. So using some type of flash card that has a picture will be helpful. Nice! I'll definitely include that in my learning tactics. What languages have you learned?
  4. Italian and Spanish. I can read French but I can't listen or speak it. I can understand Portuguese though because they're all Latin-based languages. I can read the Hebrew letters and about two-dozen words, but I'm still learning them :)
  5. Wow, really nice. I have Rosetta stone for Spanish, and Hebrew. I have taken 4 years of Russian in school, and right now I am studying Romanian.

They say you only need to know a few hundred words of any given language, to be able to speak it enough to have a basic conversation. If that is the case, maybe I will be able to speak it in another month or so.
  6. Awesome! Romanian is also Latin-based so you'll see Spanish, Italian, French and Portuguese too :) I tried Rosetta stone for French and I didn't do so well - glad my office gave it to me and I didn't have to pay for it :) I tried Arabic when I lived in Bahrain, but my Spanish kept coming out! LOL!
  7. I think Rosetta Stone is actually not great for learning languages. It's a good starting point, but not if someone is trying to be fluent in a language. Arabic seems like a hard one!
  8. Other than the letters, it's very close to Hebrew is spelling and pronunciation. I learned a lot about what they believe (Islam) which is really amazing and opened a lot of understanding for me about the end times. Their eschatology is a mirror of ours. Anyhow, that's another thread :)
    Where is the Messiah likes this.
  9. I like Google Translate: I write something in English, it gives me the phonetics in a chosen language...but many offer only the sound and not the phonetic spelling.
  10. GT does a terrible job... use it sparingly if at all.
  11. I use ivona.com sometimes. It's not a bad tool if you want to know how to pronounce something properly in another language.
  12. _________________________________________

Granted, it's terrible on some languages...especially for me because I like to "read" what I'm hearing. But I think it suits me fine: I would never use what I learned there in a formal setting: maybe just a few words to impress a dignitary:cool:...like, "Yes, I believe the equation is quite correct: ein, zwei, drei, vier, funf.."
    Abdicate and Where is the Messiah say Amen and like this.