1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Kerosene lamps

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by Swiss Browns, Aug 12, 2008.

  1. Kerosene lamps

    Has anyone here used kerosene mantle pressure lamps (Coleman or Tilley)? We're wondering about using one during power outages, it might be safer than having kids knocking over candles etc. I'm wondering how safe they were. Were they prone to explode or burst into flames? And is it safe to hang them from a hook in the ceiling where they can't get knocked over, or do they get too hot?
  2. If my memory serves me right our Coleman lamp and camping stove ran on gasoline. I don't know if you can use kerosene. Wouldn't want gasoline in my house.

  3. Are we talking a thunderstorm blowing a transformer or fuse and the power being out for an hour or so? That is about the limit of indoor usefulness with flamible liquids in my home.
    Coleman lamps put out a huge amount of heat and a fair amount of fumes- ventilation is important. Kerosene is (of course) fairly flamible and most lamps incorporate a lot of breakable glass- they also require a lot of ventilation. Many of the folks who live near the Gulf Coast have gasoline powered generators- run them outside and use a few extension cords. A 5000 watt model cost six to eight hundred $ US.I picked up a used one in good shape fopr $250.00.
    A really nice option is a permanent generator hook to a natural gas line. These are generally tied into the main breaker panel via a switch that disconnects it from the main grid while it is running- that protects utility workers from getting fried on a line they "thought was dead". This can also be set up to run of a large propane tank but either way it is an expensive option (five to six thousand $ US).
    I hope this helps- blessings in His Name, brother Larry.
  4. I grew up in Africa and did not have electricity until I was about 16 years old. So we used Coleman lamps and never had any problems with them. I never heard of any blowing up.
  5. Just a reminder in support of what Boanerges already mentioned:

    Carbon Monoxide is a byproduct of combustion. These auxillary lights are to be used ONLY onder the recommendations packed with each lamp to keep you and your family safe.

    As a Chaplain Responder, in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, our team had to remind several families of that fact. We also saw some cases where gasoline and diesel engine powered generators were actually placed inside buildings. Our Carbon Monoxide monitor went off the scale when we entered to check on people. They had no idea that the exhaust from the generators could kill them.
  6. We used them for camping a lot. They are useable Ray but can cause severe burns and need to be well vetilated. I simply do not reccomend them around kids or in a closed area, other than that what ever floats your boat!:)

  7. Oh yes indeed they must be used carefully. They are a burning fire and do get very hot. Knocked over they can cause a bad fire.

    They certainly need ventilation.

    I was just saying that used with the appropriate care they do not explode and do give a good light.

    As I said we did not have access to electricity until I was 16 years old. Having the choice I would always prefer to use electric lighting.
  8. Thanks for that, that pretty much tells me what I wanted to know: Ok outside, bad inside.
  9. We have problems with our power going out from time to time. My wife's health problems make it mandatory we have some sort of backup

    We keep several battery powered lanterns and plenty of extra batteries. The lanterns generally use the large 6 volt batteries, but the model we have (Coleman) came with adapters for D cells. We also have two rechargeable lanterns we keep ready to go.

    Another power source we use is a car battery hooked up to an inverter which provides AC power. We recharge the battery when the power comes back on.

    For longer outages we have a gas powered generator. It lasts about 4-5 hours under a typical load. I have two separate lines running into the house from the generator which we plug into.

Share This Page