Keep No Record

Keep No Record

[Love] bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
1 Corinthians 13:7

Is it possible to “forgive and forget”? We can choose to forgive, but can we choose to forget? Every time we tell ourselves to forget about an offense we have suffered, it refreshes the emotion of that painful event.

It is possible to forgive and not forget an offense, though in time the offense can become a distant memory. The danger in not forgiving is that forgetting becomes impossible. If we don’t forgive, we replay the offense over and over, keeping it alive in our mind as if it happens afresh every day. Then resentment sets in—and resentment gradually transitions into bitterness, a source of trouble and defilement (Hebrews 12:15). So what do we do? First, we choose to forgive when we are hurt. Then we love by bearing, believing, hoping, and enduring all things (1 Corinthians 13:7). We bear the offense and believe and hope that it will never happen again. We begin each day with a clean slate, keeping “no record of wrongs” (1 Corinthians 13:5, NIV).
If you have been hurt, first forgive, then love. Live as if you have no memory of the wrong suffered.

Forgiving what we cannot forget creates a new way to remember. We change the memory of our past into a hope for our future. Lewis B. Smedes

Attachments

• bible-verses-on-love.jpg
    bible-verses-on-love.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 3
Hello TiC;

When we forgive others the majority of the time is the hurt we receive from others, when we least expect or expect in an exchange.

I use to have a problem of “keeping record” face to face or in an online post/chat. I always greet, address or exchange others by their name or maintain eye contact and with every effort have a listening ear, face to face.

About 20 years ago the era of online, chats, pm, etc…was very new to me. In a post/chat I tried to avoid “likes/emojis” and have an actual conversation by writing/posting back. I took this personal when the other responded with a like/emoji or a two word reply and found it offensive and unforgiving. When I go back and play the offense over and over there was no room for forgiveness.

The next day would be a new day and I would just carry on. Little did I know the offense and unforgiveness would build up in me and in time this weight would effect my personality while others, especially “discerning” Christians could read me.

God had to reveal to me that not everyone has my social mannerisms nor do I have theirs. How many did I offend by my social interface?
What was once sociably expected back in the day is not entirely the same today. Does that mean I dismiss the love, bearing, patience and forgiveness toward others? These are the Ways of Jesus and that virtue remains forever.

From personally feeling struck every time I gave my time and interest to others and their response was no binding force. It became an opportunity for me to forgive and allow the Lord to guide me through the process of healing - releasing hurt, anger, bitterness, an offense or being blown off by getting out of God’s way and letting them go. I struggled with all these unpleasant emotions.

By recognizing my inner insecurities, self consciousness, low self esteem in social settings, I confessed this to God and exposed my weakness. Now, it was God’s turn to reveal His strength and take me to a cleansing in my act of forgiveness toward others. Sure, I may remember the offense from an individual or individuals but healing from my inner forgiveness does not allow the memory to linger any longer.

This is just one area of my life that needed work in forgiveness. There have been other circumstances and thankful God is always working.

God bless you, TiC, for always posting these kind of topics that give each of us much to think about.

Bob in faith

Keep No Record

[Love] bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Is it possible to “forgive and forget”? We can choose to forgive, but can we choose to forget? Every time we tell ourselves to forget about an offense we have suffered, it refreshes the emotion of that painful event.

It is possible to forgive and not forget an offense, though in time the offense can become a distant memory. The danger in not forgiving is that forgetting becomes impossible. If we don’t forgive, we replay the offense over and over, keeping it alive in our mind as if it happens afresh every day. Then resentment sets in—and resentment gradually transitions into bitterness, a source of trouble and defilement (Hebrews 12:15). So what do we do? First, we choose to forgive when we are hurt. Then we love by bearing, believing, hoping, and enduring all things (1 Corinthians 13:7). We bear the offense and believe and hope that it will never happen again. We begin each day with a clean slate, keeping “no record of wrongs” (1 Corinthians 13:5, NIV).
If you have been hurt, first forgive, then love. Live as if you have no memory of the wrong suffered.

Forgiving what we cannot forget creates a new way to remember. We change the memory of our past into a hope for our future. Lewis B.

Keep No Record

Forgiving what we cannot forget creates a new way to remember. We change the memory of our past into a hope for our future. Lewis B. Smedes
Forgiving what we cannot forget creates a new way to remember.
Ouch!!!

In a post/chat I tried to avoid “likes/emojis” and have an actual conversation by writing/posting back. I took this personal when the other responded with a like/emoji or a two word reply and found it offensive and unforgiving. When I go back and play the offense over and over there was no room for forgiveness.

This is a good reminder that we must all be civil online. Often I simply want to acknowledge reading a post without offering any written response. Likes/Emojis are perfect for this. It never occurred to me that someone would find offense in that. Thank your for sharing.

This is a good reminder that we must all be civil online. Often I simply want to acknowledge reading a post without offering any written response. Likes/Emojis are perfect for this. It never occurred to me that someone would find offense in that. Thank your for sharing.

You’re welcome, brother. All sorts of circumstances, even the ones that don’t occur to us can trigger un forgiveness.

Unfortunately 20 years ago this was a weakness with lessons that I had to deal with. By God’s immeasurable love He blessed me with the discipline to accept correction and get past this.

Bob in faith

Keep No Record

Forgiveness seems to be only possible through Jesus Christ's example, our first response is to draw away from those that hurt us, we too often respond in anger and break the ties that once bound us. Jesus when hurt by Peter's response prior to the crucifixion could have called down the fire of Heaven upon his head but instead we find after the resurrection seeking to encourage Peter to lead the flock, to feed the flock, to answer His call to be the under Shepherd of the flock. Would we respond this way? Would we so easily forgive those who denied us or failed to be faithful when we need them most. I'm not sure I could have forgiven Peter, but in Jesus Christ I know I must. Tsavah2

Forgiveness seems to be only possible through Jesus Christ's example, our first response is to draw away from those that hurt us, we too often respond in anger and break the ties that once bound us. Jesus when hurt by Peter's response prior to the crucifixion could have called down the fire of Heaven upon his head but instead we find after the resurrection seeking to encourage Peter to lead the flock, to feed the flock, to answer His call to be the under Shepherd of the flock. Would we respond this way? Would we so easily forgive those who denied us or failed to be faithful when we need them most. I'm not sure I could have forgiven Peter, but in Jesus Christ I know I must. Tsavah2

Hello Tsavah2;

Forgiveness is a command from God in the Old and New Testaments. Its also a tough work in progress. It can take a lifetime for every man and woman of God to mature in this discipline but along the way I personally have all the faith God guides us to get better at it.

What I mean by “to get better at it” is the more we choose to forgive one another is KEY. It may burn, hurt, or anger but forgiveness is a process of healing and it takes time. What matters is we choose from our hearts and confession to God to forgive others.

Those who struggle with forgiving haven’t applied this discipline enough in their personal relationships with people and walk with Jesus.

We have a furniture company delivering a replacement mattress and the boards for the bed frame. While we went through the process of filing a claim for a defective product (that we trusted and purchased back in January this year) I could see how pleasant they were when they received our payment but when we filed the claim 8 months later, they were disorganized and their manager and customer service seemed to lack concern for us as customers.

Years ago I would have become very vocal and slam them for falling short with our purchase. Wrong!

I kept my focus on God, first, and asked Him to guard my heart and tongue while dealing with the store and how they would make it right. It had to start with forgiveness. It was a release for me because I have peace with no regrets of my manner and knowing God would see the outcome of the store but also watching me.

I agree with your post which tells me I read from a brother with hard knocks experience. You ended with, but in Jesus Christ I know I must (forgive.) Amen!

God bless you, Tsavah2, and your entire family.

Live as if you have no memory of the wrong suffered.
Awesome Passage.
Forgiving what we cannot forget creates a new way to remember
So yeh what I see here is that i can create a new memory, and work with it, without blaming the other person.
I will do this with my family, by first placing a mental blessing on the 'offenders' first in belief... by repeating a phrase in my mind that they are in Gods Hands and He is Guiding us, utilising Gods Promise. See where it leads... Hopefully to faith🙏❤️🙏😊❤️😊😇

thank you TiC

Hello Tsavah2;

Forgiveness is a command from God in the Old and New Testaments. Its also a tough work in progress. It can take a lifetime for every man and woman of God to mature in this discipline but along the way I personally have all the faith God guides us to get better at it.

What I mean by “to get better at it” is the more we choose to forgive one another is KEY. It may burn, hurt, or anger but forgiveness is a process of healing and it takes time. What matters is we choose from our hearts and confession to God to forgive others.

Those who struggle with forgiving haven’t applied this discipline enough in their personal relationships with people and walk with Jesus.

We have a furniture company delivering a replacement mattress and the boards for the bed frame. While we went through the process of filing a claim for a defective product (that we trusted and purchased back in January this year) I could see how pleasant they were when they received our payment but when we filed the claim 8 months later, they were disorganized and their manager and customer service seemed to lack concern for us as customers.

Years ago I would have become very vocal and slam them for falling short with our purchase. Wrong!

I kept my focus on God, first, and asked Him to guard my heart and tongue while dealing with the store and how they would make it right. It had to start with forgiveness. It was a release for me because I have peace with no regrets of my manner and knowing God would see the outcome of the store but also watching me.

I agree with your post which tells me I read from a brother with hard knocks experience. You ended with, but in Jesus Christ I know I must (forgive.) Amen!

God bless you, Tsavah2, and your entire family.
A number of times in the past whilst involved in ministry God tested our patience and resolve to continue after betrayal from fellow workers and members of the Congregations we were involved with. It hurt at the time but we resolved that it needed to be handed to God, to forgive and forget. The scars are still apparent at times but we realise that it isn't Christlike to harbour resentment nor is it healthy. Love does not store up a record of wrongs and neither should we. Yours in Christ , Tsavah2
Awesome Passage.

So yeh what I see here is that i can create a new memory, and work with it, without blaming the other person.
I will do this with my family, by first placing a mental blessing on the 'offenders' first in belief... by repeating a phrase in my mind that they are in Gods Hands and He is Guiding us, utilising Gods Promise. See where it leads... Hopefully to faith🙏❤️🙏😊❤️😊😇

thank you TiC
Forgiveness is sometimes like trying to to lift a large rock with a feather, the more we try the harder it seems until we realise that we can do nothing in our own strength, with God all things are possible. With the love of God we can love the the unloveable as He did when He showed His love for us through His son Jesus Christ at the Cross of Calvary. Tsavah2

Keep No Record

Forgiving is easy, forgetting is a whole new problem, to see someone you have forgiven and not remember is defiantly a gift from God!

Talking about letting go, I once got dumped by someone I liked, it hurt but, I have gotten over it to the point where I can gladly say he is more sorry than I.
Is it true? How do I know I just believe it is. That’s why I tend to see him looking like something out of the exorcist. I’m reversing the belief to something like we are both very happy people with very happy lives🙏

Last edited:
Talking about letting go, I once got dumped by someone I liked, it hurt but, I have gotten over it to the point where I can gladly say he is more sorry than I. Is it true? How do I know I just believe it is. That’s why I tend to see him looking like something out of the exorcist. I’m reversing the belief to something like we are both very happy people with very happy lives🙏

Hello Via;

It's natural that if you were glad he is more sorry than you, but it seems you don't hold that belief anymore even if he looks like the exorcist.

I believe when God sees us hurt He has compassion but when our heart is filled with retribution, payback or revengeful feelings God turns from those who hurt us, back to us.

I had a girlfriend who chose to break up with me and boy did it hurt, alot. I would go to the beach and walk by myself (kicking a rock.) It took time to get over the breakup. In the meantime she met someone new, very quick.

Their relationship was entirely in the physical flesh. I have to be honest they were a good looking pair. But along the way she learned more about him and him her, they got married and had one or two kids but the marriage led to physical abuse and divorce.

For a long time I felt she was the one that got away and when I learned about the breakdown of their relationship I didn't feel any gloating. Instead I was truly sorry for the result of her life even though she broke up with me.

My wife knows about her and her ex-husband. We both pray for her because by now she would be 63 and we learned she had signs of multiple sclerosis.

Back