Just Exactly Who Were The Many Nt Warnings Written To?

Discussion in 'Bible Study' started by evangelist-77, Oct 13, 2012.

1. These are examples of the many warnings given to those who find themselves reading the NT.
    All passages are from the NKJV.

Matthew 7:13-14
    “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction,
    and there are many who go in by it.Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way
    which leads to life, and there are few who find it.”

Matthew 16:24-26
    “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.
    For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.
    For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?”

Luke 14:27-33
    “… which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether
    he has enough to finish it … whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple.”

John 12:25
    ”He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.”

Ephesians 5:3-6
    ”But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting
    for saints; neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving
    of thanks. For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater,
    has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let no one deceive you with empty words,
    for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.”

Galatians 5:19-21
    ”Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness,
    idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions,
    heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as
    I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.”

Galatians 6:7-8
    ”Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.
    For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit
    will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.”

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
    ”Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived.
    Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves,
    nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.”

Revelation 2—3
    Jesus warns the members of all 7 churches that they must be overcomers!
    The overcomers are promised …
    Ephesus -- I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God.
    Smyrna -- the crown of life … and … you shall not be hurt by the second death.
    Pergamos -- I will give some of the hidden manna to eat … and … a new name.
    Thyatira -- power over the nations … and … the morning star.
    Sardis --
    clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life;
    but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.
    Philadelphia -- I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world
    … and … I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God … I will write on him the name of My God
    and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem … And I will write on him My new name.
    Laodicea -- I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat on My Father’s throne.
    (Is this overcoming the same as the 1 John 5:5 overcomers, who believe Jesus is the Son of God?)

Revelation 21:7-8
    ”He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son. But the
    cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars
    shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

Revelation 22:14-15
    ”Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life,
    and may enter through the gates into the city. But outside are dogs and sorcerers and
    sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.”

2. They were aimed at believing Jews who made up the early Christian church.

3. The more I learn about christianity the more I take these warnings to heart.

4. This is the reason why we need to study the Word so that we will know WHO a certain passage was written to and WHY so that we will properly understand the "context" for which it was written.

Kevin likes this.
  5. it was written to us!

it would be foolish to say "no this message was for them, for her for him etc"
    the scripture is God's words!
    when reading it, it is like he is speaking them to you.

i really dislike it when people use the excuse to say "who was he talking to", doesn't matter who he was talking to.
    because if people are going to use that stupid line, then I would say Jesus was only talking to 11 disciples in Matt 28:19

calvin likes this.
  6. The scriptures in your OP can and do apply to everyone imo. The whole bible is for us, but it all has to be read in context of what happened on the cross (Col 2:14-15). The only 'must' is to be saved. All other 'musts' in context are pointers to the need to be saved and the noticeable difference between the saved and the unsaved.

7. Okay, the consensus is that (most of) these warnings were written to church members.

So, the next question is ... Were these warnings written to born-again church members?

8. The Gospel passages were directed at the Jews, simply because the church had not been formed yet, but this doesnt mean they do not apply or have meaning for us.

The remainder of the passages you posted were directed at the various churches at the time who were made up of born again believers - still applies to us though.

9. It is all about context!

All I was saying was that in all cases the books were written "To" specific audiences. They were also written "For" the edification of the faithful and they were gathered together in a volume for the unity of Christ's The Church.

10. if the bible is read context all the time, it will contradict itself majory:)

i have been hearing so many false doctrines when people read bible out of context

*john 3:16 proves we are all saved once we believe and can live our life
    *God is only coming for Israel people
    *matt 7:21 is only for the priest on those mountain
    etc

the only way to read bible out of context is to read them in references.
    For an example when someone says something in New Testament, it can be looked up and referenced to what was said in Old Testament

11. No, I disagee. IF the Bible is read contextually all the time it WILL NOT contradict itself.

When one verse is pulled out here and one there to satify our thinking, then there comes a danger.

IT is all about context!

Kevin and KingJ say Amen and like this.
  12. ok... here is an example:

*Matt 28:19 Jesus told disciples to baptise
    if people are going to use the "who is he talking too", it proves Jesus told disciples to baptise not us!
    *1 Corinthians 1:10
    Jesus said we should baptist, then Paul said we shouldn't baptise but preach the Gospel

*"destroy this body and I will raise it again"
    *"Just like Jonah spent 3 days and 3 nights on Earth, so will the son of man spend 3 days and 3 nights on earth"
    so did Jesus raise on the 3rd day or after the 3rd day?

*Paul saying women should be quiet in churches
    wait...didn't Paul say children of God are all 1 and there is no male, female, jews, gentile etc?
    Paul says if women have anything concerning the church they should ask their husband at home
    wait...didn't Paul suggested women shouldn't be married? he said it is good to be married but better not to be married. So if a woman isn't married how could she ask her husband at home?

*In Romans early chapters 2. Paul goes on about circumcision, saying it doesn't matter.
    wait...didn't Paul just circumcised Timothy?

*people bang on about Baptism Jesus told us to do is water baptism.
    wait...Luke 12:50, why Baptism was Jesus undergoing?

i'm sorry but if people take bible out of context, things will contradict itself and will not make sense.
    to also top it all. Isaiah 13 says the virgin will name the him Immanuel, yet Mary named the baby Jesus.
    Also the description of the boy clearly fits John the Baptist:/

i personally will not take bible out of context unless two chapters link up and make sense.
    For an example Romans 15:20 and 1 Corinthians 3:10-15 talks about foundation of works.
    Linking those two together makes more sense.

but to take words that was said from a passage and take the same word said in another passage out of context WILL contradict the bible.
    for an example, many will take the Fasting out of Context, but Isaiah and Zechariah explains the real fasting.

people who take bible out of context only do it to prove their doctrine correct or force it on someone. I really dislike it when people do that.

13. Okay, if (some of) these warnings were written to born-again Christians,
    does this mean that OSAS is an erroneous doctrine?

14. If the whole purpose of this thread is to talk about OSAS then you picked a doozie of a hot-button topic because this is a clash waiting to happen. But anyway, my belief is that ....no I don't believe in OSAS. I believe we can throw away our salvation if we so choose. But, on the other hand......as long as we persevere in the faith, the hounds of hell will never ultimately prevail against us. The danger of taking OSAS to it's extreme is that it creates an atmosphere of possibly giving people the idea of "a license to sin".
    This subject was thoroughly argued on another forum and Tim Warner did a beautiful job refuting OSAS.

15. Do you disagree with OSAS?

16. If OSAS is a correct doctrine, why does the book of Hebrews contain warnings for those who once were enlightened by the Holy Spirit and have walked away?

17. I do to a certain extent. God will never leave us or forsake us. He will not let us out of His hands - BUT we still have the freewill to walk away. I am not talking about a bit of backsliding but an intentional turning away from the truth after recieving salvation. Called apostacy.

18. If you love Jesus, you have to obey his teachings and commands. Jesus is God, therefore 10 commandment is a must to obey too.

People don't know that being a believer is also a Christian-->being a Christian is a disciple-->being a disciple is a child of God-->being a child of God means you are Jesus heir.

so if a believer whatever goes out clubbing, partying, hanging out with wrong crowd.
    Is he living by the book? NO.

If you want to be a believer/christian etc...you HAVE to live by 'The Way of The Cross'
    (i like how Jesus taught of that name:) ...kinda like Way of the Dragon:p)

19. Xino..........I am a little confused here. You seem to be agreeing with me on the "contextual" application.

Notice your comment of...........
    "people who take bible out of context only do it to prove their doctrine correct or force it on someone. I really dislike it when people do that".

I absolutly agree and that is exactly what I said!

Then to adress your statements on the Scriptures you selected, allow me to speak to them when "context" is applied.

*Matt 28:19 .......
    Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

Your comment was......
    Jesus told disciples to baptise
    if people are going to use the "who is he talking too", it proves Jesus told disciples to baptise not us!

Baptism by water in the name of the Trinity has been practised by the Church from its beginning. IN fact water baptism was done by the Jews as a form of spiritual cleansing befor the church was established. Even Paul who was NOT sent to baptise practiced this rite of the early church.

1 Corinthians 1:14-17:
    "I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.
    For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect."

So......what is my point? The point is that the "context" of the application is that teaching is part of the work of the church.

Ephesians 4:11.....
    "And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers".

The teachings of Jesus are found not only in the Gospels but the Epistles as well.

1 Thess. 4:2
    "For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus."
    ************************************************************************************************************

Now Matthew 12:40
    "For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

Your comment was...........
    "so did Jesus raise on the 3rd day or after the 3rd day?"

I actually do not see your concern here using this verse as it relates to our conversation.

The "context" is that Jesus used Jonah's burial in the fish for 3 days and 3 nights as an illustration of the 3 days and 3 nights that He would spend in the grave Himself. The period was from Friday to Sunday which covers parts of 3 days
    (minimally) idiomatically or it could have been Wensday to Sunday which would cover 72 hours literally(maximally).

Which ever is the case, it is exactly what Jesus said and contextually conforms to the story of Jonah.
    *************************************************************************************************************

Then you said..............
    *Paul saying women should be quiet in churches
    wait...didn't Paul say children of God are all 1 and there is no male, female, jews, gentile etc?
    Paul says if women have anything concerning the church they should ask their husband at home
    wait...didn't Paul suggested women shouldn't be married? he said it is good to be married but better not to be married. So if a woman isn't married how could she ask her husband at home?

Lets actually post what Paul did say:

1 Corinthians 14:34-35
    Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

"CONTEXT"!!! What was Paul actually talking about here in the 14th chapter???? "CONTEXT"!!!

1 Corinthians 14:1-4...
    "Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy. For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church."

Paul is telling the church that it is more imporant to TEACH than to speak in an unknown tongue.

He goes on to give an ORDER that is to take place in church in verse #26. There was a lot of talking and confusion in the church which is why Paul gave them directions on behaviour.

Verses 28-30
    But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.

Well there it is in the black and white and that is the CONTEXT of Pauls comments. Then.....God love them and I do,
    women being women love to talk. THAT is what was going on in the church. Women were talking to one another out loud in TONGES (Languages) and that caused chaos and confusion which is why Paul wrote to them and said in verse 34.................................

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."

CONTEXT!
    Well this is way to long so I will end it here.

20. If "once saved always saved" were true, Jesus would never have spoken the parable of the sower, for what else does this apply to?
    And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground; who, when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with gladness;But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away.