Jonah 1:1-3

Jonah 1:1-3 King James Version (KJV)
1 Now the word of the Lord came unto Jonah the son of Amittai, saying,

2 Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before me.

3 But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the Lord, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto Tarshish from the presence of the Lord.

Jonah 1:1-3 The Voice (VOICE)

1 One day the word of the Eternal One came to the prophet Jonah (Amittai’s son).

Eternal One: 2 Get up, and go to that powerful and notorious city of Nineveh. Call out My message against it because the wickedness of its people has come to My attention.

3 In hearing those instructions, Jonah got up and ran toward Tarshish from the Eternal’s presence. He went down to the port at Joppa and found a ship bound for Tarshish. He climbed aboard, paid the fare, and made himself comfortable in the hold of the ship.

The Voice (VOICE) The Voice Bible Copyright © 2012 Thomas Nelson, Inc. The Voice™ translation © 2012 Ecclesia Bible Society All rights reserved.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

1 So the word came to Jonah, this was because Jonah was a prophet and was to share God’s word. We as Christians are all to share the gospel with people, the greatest testament to us sharing the gospel is living for Him but then we still are to share with others.

2 So Jonah is told to preach against the wrong doing of Nineveh. Nineveh was living wickedly. We as Christians are not to judge but if we don’t share with people when they are living wrong then we don’t show love but we have to let them know out of love and understand most of the time it may not be received.

3So because he didn’t want to go he ran. We can never run to where God cant find us. Jonah ran in the opposite direction. Jonah paid to get out of God’s will, being disobedient to God’s will has results and its cost. Jonah would have been blessed if he went as God told him but instead God had to break him, God may try to break those who are in rebellion from Him much more so if they are His.

Back