Jesus Questioned About Fasting

Yes, the non-receiving of food may help in the Faith and not only, but usually for a short time, at least because later again may be necessary the receiving of food, while namely/only the Keeping of the Commandments is Lasting and True(-ly) spiritual(-ly). Otherwise, however much to starve, if the Commandments again are not Kept, then there will not be Achieved the Required effect.

1 Timothy 4:8 "For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come."

qtld and to all participants on this Thread, yes quite clearly Paul is emphasizing the "unseen" rather than the "seen" as he also points it out in the following:

* 2 Corinthians 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Thus, what is the real message of FASTING by "divine revelation?"

Honestly, the real message of fasting can drive off the eyes to all of us, and it is that there is a satanic spiritual kingdom called (the) "darkness", and that the believers must be careful in the faith, because otherwise some believers may be prove under satanic influence.

John 9:39-41 "And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not(ie which see not physically) might see(ie physically); and that they which see(ie that have satanic spirituality) might be made blind(ie to losing it). And some of the Pharisees(ie clerics) which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also? Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see(ie we see spiritually/we know the truth of God); therefore your sin remaineth."

It is very difficult to withstand long periods without food, even is dangerous for (the) health, and when starvation be discontinued how will starve?

Colossians 2:20-23 "Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, (Touch not; taste not; handle not; Which all are to perish with the using; ) after the commandments and doctrines of men? Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh."

(When) many human-beings die, consequently, in/with which the believers/clerics must be fast/quick?

And if in some hospital there are ill patients, (then) what the doctors there need to do/make fast/quick with them(with the patients)?

fil3232003, personally i can not understand your question, who or what is/are "Dusty" and "John_Jervis", and what it/they do or try(-ing) to do?, or whatever is your question there?

qtld, Dusty and John_Jervis advocate "fasting" as we can read on this Thread. Thus, my question to them.

Alright, since the words of God are expressed in "parables and dark sayings of old" (Eze 20:49, Psa 78:2), "FASTING" does not really mean literal abstinence from food as SATAN saw Jesus Christ "fasting" in the desert.

From the retort of our Lord to Satan's temptation, "If thou be the Son of God, turn these stones into bread," we can very clearly deduce that indeed "fasting" is not literal, but spiritual. "Man does not live on bread alone, but by every word that comes forth from the mouth of the Lord."

Hence, it is the WORD OF GOD that needs to be "eaten."

How?

OK man.
Excuse me on my inadequate intervention/hindrance.

I would like to say that Word of God is most generally the Kindness/Goodness/Love to the other human/soul beings, because it is written:

Romans 13:8-11 "Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery(ie do not be despotic/intrusive, ie. rigid/haughty/oppressor like the bad adults), Thou shalt not kill(ie do not hit/beat/harm), Thou shalt not steal(ie do not deprive/bereave), Thou shalt not bear false witness(ie do not cause evil through witnessing), Thou shalt not covet(ie do not cause evil by desire/wanting); and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed."

OK man.
Excuse me on my inadequate intervention/hindrance.

I would like to say that Word of God is most generally the Kindness/Goodness/Love to the other human/soul beings, because it is written:

Romans 13:8-11 "Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery(ie do not be despotic/intrusive, ie. rigid/haughty/oppressor like the bad adults), Thou shalt not kill(ie do not hit/beat/harm), Thou shalt not steal(ie do not deprive/bereave), Thou shalt not bear false witness(ie do not cause evil through witnessing), Thou shalt not covet(ie do not cause evil by desire/wanting); and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed."

qtld, with "eating the word," do you mean that these aforementioned commandments/directives, be obeyed LITERALLY or to the "LETTER" of the WORD?

No, it just is written: "Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law." Romans 13:10

If you always are Good to the other "men", so (in this way) you always will fulfill the law - if you Love the others.

May we be reminded of the qualification of "Able Ministers in the New Testament" as written in the following:

* 2 Corinthians 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Quite clearly, GOD warns us of simply taking the "letter" or the literal meaning of His words. Otherwise, we would arrive at the inability to obey His words. The warning is given to James and he wrote:

* James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

The purpose of GOD in giving His law/words is for MAN to realize that he cannot obey ALL! Following the "letter" or the literal meaning of the law/word is IMPOSSIBLE! Thus:

* Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

An illustration is the law/word on "stealing." The religious leaders crucified the TWO THIEVES for being guilty of LITERAL STEALING by applying the "letter" of the law/word. But to JESUS CHRIST this is what He meant by "stealing."

* John 10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
In the "eyes of Jesus Christ," who were "more guilty" as regards "stealing,"

The two thieves, or
The Scribes and Pharisees?

HENCE, "fasting" does not necessarily mean not eating literal food, but rather to "hunger for the word of God" as revealed long time ago:

* Jeremiah 15:16 Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart...

if you mean the keeping of spiritual purity, then you are absolutely right. I mean (the) following word:

1 Corinthians 3:18-21 "Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness. And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain. Therefore let no man glory in men.",

1 Corinthians 1:25-31 "Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord."

if you mean the keeping of spiritual purity, then you are absolutely right. I mean (the) following word:

1 Corinthians 3:18-21 "Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness. And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain. Therefore let no man glory in men.",

1 Corinthians 1:25-31 "Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord."

Right! Let us distinguish "physical purity" that refers to MORALITY, and "spiritual purity" that refers to SPIRITUALITY.

But because of MAN'S "short-sightedness," with MORALITY, he is limited to and ends to RELIGIOSITY!

Typical for this are the Scribes and Pharisees, and the religious leaders during the time of Christ.

Right! Let us distinguish "physical purity" that refers to MORALITY, and "spiritual purity" that refers to SPIRITUALITY.

But because of MAN'S "short-sightedness," with MORALITY, he is limited to and ends to RELIGIOSITY!

Typical for this are the Scribes and Pharisees, and the religious leaders during the time of Christ.

My reference, and for a detailed study of MORALITY, RELIGIOSITY, and SPIRITUALITY,

http://www.purechristianity.org/index.php/news/Morality,_Religiosity,_Spirituality

Back