Jesus' Humanity

M

Mark_18

Jesus' Humanity

My brother posts so many wrong ideas about God on Facebook. First he thought the doctrine of the Trinity was just some Roman Catholic heresy. (!) Now he proudly preaches that Jesus isn't and never was fully man. Does anyone have any sermons, commentaries, verses, etc, for this? I've got some and can explain it to him, but it's one thing to know something, and quite another to be able to give someone understanding of it...

Okay . Jesus' humanity .

2 John 1:7
Many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist.

1 John 4:2
This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God,

as for the trinity .. it is a mystery . there are many ways of coming at it .. but really someone can only understand it when God makes it real to them . Trinity is well documented in the Gospel of John (and if you have eyes to see and ears to hear throughout the rest of scripture) . the gospel of John appears to be quoted by church fathers in the early 100s AD so the trinity is definitely an apostolic teaching . it is just at first it wasn't the main focus . and that is what a lot of people denying the trinity focus on re: baptism in Jesus name . for Jesus coming in the flesh . that is just basic .. but i would also suggest to look up roman historians who did not deny that Jesus was crucified and buried .. but tried to deny the more spiritual aspects of what actually happened . if He didn't come in the flesh . then no one could have nailed Him to the cross is what comes to mind .

Hope that is of assistance .

Hey Mark ..... First of all .... Welcome back . I really missed you and hope you will stick around . Tell us a little of what you have been doing lately . Or PM me .

All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit [Matthew 28:19].

May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all [2 Corinthians 13:14].

To God’s elect. . .who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood [1 Peter 1:1-2].

Here are three passages in Scripture, one on the lips of Jesus, and the other two from leading apostles, each bringing together the three Persons of the Godhead in an unmistakable way. But these are only a sampling of other similar passages.

Among others are the following:
Romans 14:17-18; 15:16;
1 Corinthians 2:2-5; 6:11; 12:4-6; 2 Corinthians 1:21-22; Galatians 4:6; Ephesians 2:18-22; 3:14-19; Ephesians 4:4-6; Colossians 1:6-8; 1Thessalonians 1:3-5; 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14; Titus 3:4-6.

Note how God (Father), Son (Jesus Christ) and the Holy Spirit are brought together as instruments of our salvation.

Because of the three Persons of the Trinity, we can now understand why God uses the word "Us" in the following verses.
Adam had sinned. THE LORD SAID, BEHOLD, THE MAN IS BECOME AS ONE OF US (plural)-Gen 3:22.

The "Us" is referring to more than one—the Trinity.
AND GOD SAID, LET US (more than one) MAKE MAN IN OUR (plural) IMAGE, AFTER OUR (plural) LIKENESS-Gen 1:26. The "us" is referring to more than one, the Trinity.

There are many other Scriptures that also show two or three Persons of the Trinity. Some of them are listed here.
Job 26:13; 27:3; 33:4; 1 Cor 12:4-6; Ps 2:2,7,12; Isa 63:6-16; Ps 51:1; Zech 7:12.

My brother posts so many wrong ideas about God on Facebook. First he thought the doctrine of the Trinity was just some Roman Catholic heresy. (!) Now he proudly preaches that Jesus isn't and never was fully man. Does anyone have any sermons, commentaries, verses, etc, for this? I've got some and can explain it to him, but it's one thing to know something, and quite another to be able to give someone understanding of it...
If I may add a few thoughts here; not too many quoted verses, but a little argument from some verses.

Jesus was the son of Mary, who was fully human. He was the only begotten Son of God. As Mary's son , he was fully human; human females don't give birth to non human offspring. Similarly as God's Son He was fully divine by nature. Jesus taught something about fidelity of reproduction:
For every tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they gather grapes from a bramble bush. Luke 6:44 Nkjv
Mary could not give issue to anything other than a fully human baby. It seems to me then that to deny the humanity of Jesus is to argue against the witness of nature itself.

Also, Jesus could, hypothetically have just appeared on the scene without parentage similar to Melchizedek. But then He could never ever represent mankind on the Cross.
What was necessary to represent both God and man in the final defeat of sin and death was/is both God and Man. Consider:
1For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect. 2For then would they not have ceased to be offered? For the worshipers, once purified, would have had no more consciousness of sins. 3But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year. 4For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins.
5Therefore, when He came into the world, He said:
"Sacrifice and offering You did not desire,
But a body You have prepared for Me.
6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin
You had no pleasure.
7 Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come—
In the volume of the book it is written of Me—
To do Your will, O God.’" 8Previously saying, "Sacrifice and offering, burnt offerings, and offerings for sin You did not desire, nor had pleasure in them" (which are offered according to the law), 9then He said, "Behold, I have come to do Your will,
Code:
O God." He takes away the first that He may establish the second. 10By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
11And every priest stands ministering daily and offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. 12But this Man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God, 13from that time waiting till His enemies are made His footstool. 14For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified. Hebrews 10:1-14 Nkjv
In this conflict of sin versus righteousness, Mankind can not be served or defended by a representative who is anything other than human--Jesus.
In like manner God can not be represented by anyone less than God--Jesus.
In summary, If Jesus was not fully man, we are all dead in our sins still, without possibility of effective representation. If Jesus was not fully God, He could not represent God............We're just so much dead meat.
But praise the Lord! Jesus is fully man and can fully represent us, Fully God so we have representation at the highest possible level
hope this helps,
blessings,
calvin

Back