James 4:13-14

James 4:13-14 King James Version (KJV)
13 Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain:

14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.

James 4:13-14 New Life Version (NLV)

13 Listen! You who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this city and stay a year and make money.” 14 You do not know about tomorrow. What is your life? It is like fog. You see it and soon it is gone.

New Life Version (NLV) Copyright © 1969 by Christian Literature International

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

13 He isn’t saying making plans is bad but is saying to many of us make plans without seeking the Lord and to many of us follow our plans rather then God’s plans. We are to make plans and keep them if the Lord wills.

14 We don’t know if when we make plans if we can keep them, so many things could come up to prevent us from making them, we should avoid breaking promises and sometimes the best of doing this is not to make them to begin with.

This reminds me of another verse: Matthew 16:26
"What will it benefit a man if he gains the whole world yet loses his life? Or what will a man give in exchange for his life?"

I think this verse is very telling with how it's laid out. We only have temporary residence on this earth, so why do we carry on as the world does? What profit is it if we look elsewhere for temporal pleasure/gain when God cares about our eternal life with Him?

I can also look at it another way. This world causes slavery - if we let it control us. Jobs with many hours, people not coming in to give others relief for selfish reasons, companies short staffing and making their employees miserable. I've been there and learned very early on that I wouldn't survive in this world for long. Thankfully, God hear me and compassed me in His direction. <3 He has given me rest and has extended His strength that I may survive a little longer by His will. <3

I think of this.- We are not promised tomorrow, so we are to take one day at a time, living according to God's will. We are to focus on living a righteous life, not one filled with idols, such as money.

Matthew 6:33-34 (KJV)
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Matthew 6:19-21 King(KJV)
19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Matthew 5:33 (WEB) "Again you have heard that it was said to them of old time, 'You shall not make false vows, but shall perform to the Lord your vows,' 34 but I tell you, don't swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is the throne of God; 35 nor by the earth, for it is the footstool of his feet; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. 36 Neither shall you swear by your head, for you can't make one hair white or black. 37 But let your 'Yes' be 'Yes' and your 'No' be 'No.' Whatever is more than these is of the evil one.

Do not count your chickens before they are hatched - Aesop.

The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry - Robert Burns.

Back