Is Satan The "anti-god"?

Lysander, I'm sort of challenging the common notion of God v. Satan = good v. evil. This IMO raises a dualistic interpretation of faith.

I was purporting one of the dogmas of the catholicism that evil is the godlessness not devilishness. And essentially that being of Satan is a misnomer, as really all that means is self-love and anarchy.

Perhaps the title is misleading.

As I read these scriptures, I don't hear this in a familiar relationship, but rather as the inheritance of evil passion. For someone to truly be a son or father their must be love directed at one another. In the case of God, there is the Father and the Son and the love between them generating the Holy Spirit. But Satan does not have an outward expression of love, only an inward expression, so it is not possible for him to have children. Servants, perhaps yes, but only insofar as they follow his suit with self-love, but it is a disorderly and anarchic relationship, not the typical servant-master one we think of. Presumably why the anti-christ is known also as the "Lawless one".

You did not respond to the Bible verse that disagree with your opinion. Why is that?

You did not respond to the Bible verse that disagree with your opinion. Why is that?

I did respond to them, but with a different interpretation than you purported.

If Satan himself and the unholy trinity are damned to the lake of fire as reported in Revelation, how are they overlords over the others that are damned? Satan is another offender and another prisoner not the warden. IMO that precludes him from a role as spiritual father, although I feel that is a powerful enough analogy to compel someone into repentance. I just don't think that is literally the case because it is difficult to apply to the wider Christian theology.

It reminds me of Mormon theology which holds Satan as the spiritual brother of Christ which gives it that dualistic nature I keep referring to. However, I don't think we honor Christ by elevating the importance of Satan. As I said, "prince" is a latin term that ultimately derives form "first" which is to say, Satan is the "first" among sinners, or the first among demons. His personification of evil I think derives from a Jewish tendency, for instance in analogizing the valley of Gehenna as the Tartarus of Hades. But, hell is not "literally" Gehenna, nor is the Dead Sea "literally" the lake of fire, and I don't believe either we are "literally" of God or Satan, but moreover either of light or darkness and darkness is the absence of light, and Satan happens to be the darkest of all (despite his name, "light-bearer" or Lucifer).

Back