1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Is Pray For Unconditionally Love Is Something God Will Definitely Grant?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by 福井舞, Jul 3, 2014.

1. for example, if any of us here were to become step parents, or adoptive parents of older children, will God "definitively" strengthen us and give us the capacity to love them unconditionally as if they are our own?

I asked because I have heard of so many Christian testimonies indicated that this is not guaranteed, that one can only try their best.

in another word, there will always be a gap between ideals we strive for and reality, for most anyway.

it would be great for those of you who have personal experiences with this type of things to share them as well, to help explain why you feel a certain way.

2. God will do wondrous things in your life if you ask him to, and if your motives are pure. To the best of my knowledge, the only place there is a 'definite' is in Malachi 3:10, where God gives permission to test him. In the years since I began tithing, my financial security has grown. When I look back to the way things used to be, there is no reason why I am better off today (meaning, I did not better my education, inherit money, etc.). I put God first in my financial life (I'm still struggling with the other aspects, but I'm getting there) and He has blessed me many times over in return.

福井舞, christianbacktobasics and Euphemia says Amen and like this.
  3. I believe that God has already given us that capacity. It is for us to exercise it. Loving others as God calls us to is a deliberate act of the will.

This goes for other things as well, such as forgiveness. It is all a part of God's instruction for us to renew our minds as found in:

Romans 12:2 (NLT)
    Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Years ago I learned a valuable lesson about this.

Think of yourself as a carpenter and of God as the master builder, and you are building a house. You as the carpenter must build a form of wood for the foundation concrete to be poured. Then the builder contracts the pouring of concrete into those forms, and when the concrete is hardened and able to support the weight of the structure to come, the forms are then deemed useless and removed...and voila! The foundation stands! Just like the carpenter, we are charged with building those forms of love and forgiveness, and God comes along and pours the real thing in! All of a sudden, those forms of love and forgiveness we managed to produce are changed into real love and real forgiveness! That is due to complying with God's word---what a reward!

4. Hello, that's a really interesting one. Over the years I have been a step-parent, a youth Pastor and a Father so it's interesting the point you've just made, are you asking this for any deeper reasons? When I first met my now wife, she had a child from a previous marriage and her former husband (became saved) died so I took on the responsibility as a father. Later I became a youth Pastor which basically amounts to being a father if you Pastor according to the word and recently, God blessed us with two babies of our own after a nine year promise. So I would have to say that love in itself is very broad and yes, you can love unconditionally through the Lord Jesus, with my step-son, he became mine and I continue to be his guardian even though he's left home. The youth kids were mine as far as I was concerned and as for my babies, well, there's a deeper connection there.

I don't think you love any less, I believe God's Love is too wide (according to the true interpretation and practice of 1st Cor' 13) and has the ability to love all in various ways. Depends what your view is on true love.....

5. sorry, when you say you have a deeper connection with your babies, are you referring to your biological children with your wife?

to be honest, I first become interested in this topic when I came across this discussion on Christian step parenting, and I was rather surprised to see so many Christian step parenting seem to struggle to love their step children as their own, and that seem to create problems for the families.

also to be perfectly honest, I personally think the term unconditionally love is used in a very loose way.....

for me, 100% true love or unconditional love can only come from God, but if one want to define in terms of what "we" as men are capable giving, I would define unconditional love as the type of love a parent have for their biological children.

I am not a parent yet, but I have heard so many new parents says the very moment they get to hold their first new born in their hands, they experience this love that is so "intense", nothing else they have experienced up to that point ( whether it is relationship with one's parents, grandparents, siblings or best friends) could remotely match what they feel for their child. The type of love where a person can say with 100% certainty that if situations arises, they will absolutely take a bullet for the other person if needed.

another good definition I have came across is from this book by Rebecca Walker, where she talked about she would do anything for her own son, where as for her step son, who she loves also, she would do anything for him, within reasons

so based on your response, as I understood it, is that you love your babies much much more than say, those kids you knew in your ministry.