Is Mary the New Eve?

Hmmm, now that's an interesting perspective...our gifts are entrusted to us based on our obedience/devotion?
of course,
otherwise you are like simon who tried to buy the gift of the Holy Spirit for money.
a lot of lazy Christians like to pull out the grace card.

I didn't say I WAS offended, you said that. It appears I misunderstood part of his post, but a comparison of Eve to Mary would hardly be of interest to only members of the RCC. That aspect of his message DOES confuse me.

I think if you study the posts that are in this thread, the sticking point has been that Mary is not mentioned as being the new Eve in the Bible.
Nobody is denigrating Mary, merely opposing the idea that the Bible can be made to teach other than what it does. It wouldn't matter if the topic of discussion mentioned Mary or not. Anytime someone tries to add traditions or the ideas of men to the Bible, there is going to be friction. The same thing is happening on the thread about guardian angels.
So my point is that the things RCC adherents hold to be important but are not contained in the Bible should not be pushed onto others. If it was something fundamental and necessary for salvation then that could reasonably be discussed. IMHO.

It did appear so to me, and the RCC was mentioned twice by Calvin in post #147. I did give Calvin the opportunity to clarify which he did not do. I am not attacking Calvin, simply asking a question.

A woman is going to be m0re interested in the lives of the women of the Bible, such as Eve or Mary and others. Simply put, because women look to women as someone to possibly emulate in action and speech. Men will look to more men.

In this, I would say Lady Mary would be a much better example for a young women. We know slightly more about her and she is an excellent example of a pious woman. She is definitely someone to emulate and love.

But in this, Christ Jesus would be the most important example to everyone (regardless of sex), should we be emulating - But for a woman, having a woman to look up to as to what we are to do and be and attempt to live up to, Mary would be it. She was a woman of prayer, faithful to God, she was a good and faithful wife, she was a loving mother.

She was that woman that is praised at the gate.

So, it is perhaps that sometimes Lady Mary is not someone many men will spend much time considering the life of, even though they love her also.

It's St. George I'm specifically wondering about, since he's so synonymous with the Church of England.

I've just looked up St George's in Norwich, the nearest city to me (a small city but one that at one time used to claim to have a church for each week of the year [and a pub for each day of the year]). It has three, St George Colegate, St George Tombland and St George Sprowston. The first two are Church of England but, as I suspected, they were dedicated when the church in England was part of the Roman Catholic church. The third appears to be 20th century and is Roman Catholic.

I'd guess St George may well have been popular in England as he is the patron saint but if (as I thought you were trying to do in a previous post) you are trying to work down Church of England=Anglican vs Roman Catholic dedications, it isn't going to work.

By asking a question like that, Peace, you made Calvin sound like he had insinuated Catholics were not Christ centered, then you stated plainly, "...if you could elaborate when you state that they are not Christ-centered." Calvin in no way stated Catholics are not Christ-centered, nor did he make any objection to the discussion. All he said was he was not interested in the discussion of Eve and Mary and would rather focus on Christ.

Amen! That is what I gathered as well from the post.

Well all I can say is that these discussions on RCC teachings have caused me to fall to my knees (metaphorically speaking) giving thanks to the divine Grace by which I am protestant in my understanding of The Lord, and of His word. The popes tweet as discussed in another thread is all very well and good for the RCC faithful but of no relevance to the rest of the Body of Christ.
As for the idea that Mary is the new, last, final or ultimate Eve, that is a matter for the RCC and I believe has no relevance to the rest off the Body of Christ.
As for myself, I would rather be focused on the things of the Lord Jesus Christ, I have been spending way too much time on trivia.
Again my post # 147 is used, for what purpose?
Exactly which words of mine constitute an objection?
No answer is actually required.
But you'll get one.

See the bolded words.

Again my post # 147 is used, for what purpose?
Exactly which words of mine constitute an objection?
No answer is actually required.

I wasn't referring to you specifically Calvin. I just mean in general, I don't understand why there is objection to calling Mary the new Eve.

I wasn't referring to you specifically Calvin. I just mean in general, I don't understand why there is objection to calling Mary the new Eve.
I think mary has nothing to do with eve, because Jesus is somewhere referred to as the second adam, so how can adam be born of eve, its nonsense,
mary was chosen and blessed end of story, even on the cross Jesus recinded or nulified their relationship by declaring that John was now her son.
He said to His mother, "Woman, behold, your son!" 27Then He said to the disciple, "Behold, your mother!" From that hour the disciple took her into his own household.

OK, I took your post to be addressed to me.
I'd be just guessing, but I think any reference to Mary that is outside the authority of Scripture would tend to act like an instance of Mary worship.
The RCC of course deny this, and most others reject their denials. hence this thread.
As I have indicated previous I don't object to the RCC making this claim in fact I might have hinted that I think it has some merit:eek:
My only personal objection is in the use of the word "new". I think ultimate or 'last' would be more fitting for Mary, because there will be no future Marys. But 'new' allows for the possibility of Mary being replaced at some time in the future by another, which means Jesus would be replaced by another...we have more or less seen this begin to be attempted back around 610AD.

Last edited:
I'd be just guessing, but I think any reference to Mary that is outside the authority of Scripture would tend to act like an instance of Mary worship.
The RCC of course deny this, and most others reject their denials. hence this thread.
As I have indicated previous I don't object to the RCC making this claim in fact I might have hinted that I think it has some merit:eek:
My only personal objection is in the use of the word "new". I think ultimate or 'last' would be more fitting for Mary, because there will be no future Marys. But 'new' allows for the possibility of Mary being replaced at some time in the future by another, which means Jesus would be replaced by another...we have more or less seen this begin to happen back around 610AD.

I think Justin Martyr used to term "Second Mary." But whether the word used is New, Second, or Last, it's really not important. It's not a dogmatic phrase or anything like that. What really matters is the substance behind the phrase. The Catholic Church itself doesn't have an official word for it at all in fact, except for possibly "The Virgin Mary."

Even the word "Transubstantiation" wasn't coined until the medieval era to describe what was always believed in the Church.

I said, "My only personal objection is in the use of the word "new"." Perhaps I should rephrase that to be "My only personal 'concern' is in the use of the word "new"."

I said, "My only personal objection is in the use of the word "new"." Perhaps I should rephrase that to be "My only personal 'concern' is in the use of the word "new"."

Understandable. I think people use the word "new" because so many people refer to Christ as the "New" Adam as opposed to the Last Adam or the Second Adam...even though they technically all work.

My only personal objection is in the use of the word "new". I think ultimate or 'last' would be more fitting for Mary, because there will be no future Marys. But 'new' allows for the possibility of Mary being replaced at some time in the future by another, which means Jesus would be replaced by another...we have more or less seen this begin to be attempted back around 610AD.

The term does come from Paul's assertion that Jesus is the new Adam, which makes Mary a good 'new Eve'.

Certainly Paul's analogy is not indicating there will be a 'new Jesus'

The term does come from Paul's assertion that Jesus is the new Adam, which makes Mary a good 'new Eve'.

Certainly Paul's analogy is not indicating there will be a 'new Jesus'

I do not consider the phrase to come from Paul and he does not indicate it or reference Eve. He contrasts the 1st Adam to Jesus and Him being the 2nd Adam but that is as far as he goes.

I'd guess St George may well have been popular in England as he is the patron saint but if (as I thought you were trying to do in a previous post) you are trying to work down Church of England=Anglican vs Roman Catholic dedications, it isn't going to work.
You thought I was...um, what did you think I was trying to do?? I am confused.

Back