Is job allegorical?

Cool thread.

Here is my 2 cents..

Job was real. Job was blameless. In the very first chapter God tells satan Job is blamesless.

I think the whole point of this story, and every story in the Bible is for the glory of God.

God tells satan that his servant Job shuns evil. Satan says it's only because God blessed him, and that if the blessings were taken away he would curse God. However, God knew Job, and He knew Job's faith. So as a demonstration of Jobs faith God allowed Satan to do what he did.

This wasn't about sin, this was about showing Jobs faith in God. Didn't Eliphaz and Temanite believe everything was happening because Job had done something wrong? And God tells them He is angry with them for not telling the truth about Him.
How did this error happen? Eliphaz used religious nonsense to confront Job and so Job turned self-righteous. Then the other two outright accuse Job of doing wrong bringing up his children having paid for their sins, Job 8:4. Then Job turns on God, Job 10:2-3; 16:12. Then his friends rebut and then Job says "I am not inferior to you." In other words, they were in need of a Moderator ;)

But Job points out their hypocrisy and defends God. Then Job falls into self pity. Then Eliphaz accuses Job of not fearing God. The Job turns on his friends as miserable comforters. And he cries out this prophetic statement about Jesus:

Job 16:21 (KJV)
O that one might plead for a man with God, as a man [pleadeth] for his neighbour!

So Job continues to defend his righteousness. Then his friend says how God punishes the wicked, implying Job sinned. THEN!! The truth comes out, Job calls out his friends and shows that they are puffed up showing themselves superior to him because they weren't "punished" by God. The very essences of hypocrisy being vomited onto Job. Job shows his faith in his Redeemer! Still, his friend berate him with accusations he must have done something wrong. Finally Eliphaz says that Job is a great sinner. Isn't that what we do? We quickly judge someone's condition as a matter of cause and effect! We quickly dismiss the truth for our own experiences and excuses, being self-righteous about our state. Then Eliphaz has the gall to say "repent and God will have mercy!" How many times have we heard that!? Job says he's innocent and what does his friends say? "Men cannot be holy in front of God!" Job replies that God is holy unsearchable and infinite. Job goes on to defend his integrity and that of God's. Then a bystander comes into the picture, Elihu, which is SO perfect! "Elihu" means "He is my God!" Son of "Barachel" (meaning (God blesses) the Buzite (hehehe means "Contempt"!) But OH what a message he has! He was so angry because they didn't give God the glory! He calls them all out for trying to be greater than God! He expounds a great truth: God speaks and man hears not, so God speaks in dreams so that man can repent! Oh Lord speak to me!!! Then Elihu speaks of Jesus:

Job 33:23-24 (KJV)
If there be a messenger with him, an interpreter, one among a thousand, to shew unto man his uprightness: Then he is gracious unto him, and saith, Deliver him from going down to the pit: I have found a ransom.

Then he shows God's plan of salvation! WOW!! Hallelujah!!

Job 33:26 (KJV)
He shall pray unto God, and he will be favourable unto him: and he shall see his face with joy: for he will render unto man his righteousness.

Elihu says what Job's error was!

Job 34:10 (KJV)
Therefore hearken unto me, ye men of understanding: far be it from God, [that he should do] wickedness; and [from] the Almighty, [that he should commit] iniquity.

This is Job's sin, his error. Job 1:21 "...The LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away..."

So God calls him out on this:

Job 40:1-2 (ESV2011)
And the LORD said to Job: “Shall a faultfinder contend with the Almighty? He who argues with God, let him answer it.”

Job 40:7-8 (ESV2011)
“Dress for action like a man; I will question you, and you make it known to me. Will you even put me in the wrong? Will you condemn me that you may be in the right?

So what was the error? Job blamed God. That's it. And so Job repented.

Job 42:5-6 (KJV)
I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. Wherefore I abhor [myself], and repent in dust and ashes.

Job is the best example to all Christian forums: something bad happens and the debates begin, bantering back and forth the merits of this that and the other. Punch counter punch. In the end God speaks and puts all to shame. Anyone that says all this, or anything in their lives is God's fault, is a fool.

Job 35:12-13 (ESV2011)
There they cry out, but he does not answer, because of the pride of evil men. Surely God does not hear an empty cry, nor does the Almighty regard it.

Job 36:11-12 (ESV2011)
If they listen and serve him, they complete their days in prosperity, and their years in pleasantness. But if they do not listen, they perish by the sword and die without knowledge.

There is only one cause and effect: choose life and live, choose death and die. Yep, it's that simple. God has given us EVERYTHING we need to prosper in Him giving Him and ONLY Him the glory!

Job 37:24 (ESV2011)
Therefore men fear him; he does not regard any who are wise in their own conceit.”

James 1:13-14 (KJV)
Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

Proverbs 19:3 (ESV2011)
When a man's folly brings his way to ruin, his heart rages against the LORD.

I hope this helps.

Side note:

Job 38:31 (KJV)
Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion?

The Pleiades system is fixed and does not move from one another, yet the belt of Orion is flying apart! Job is a great book for the hidden treasures of God's creation!

How did this error happen? Eliphaz used religious nonsense to confront Job and so Job turned self-righteous. Then the other two outright accuse Job of doing wrong bringing up his children having paid for their sins, Job 8:4. Then Job turns on God, Job 10:2-3; 16:12. Then his friends rebut and then Job says "I am not inferior to you." In other words, they were in need of a Moderator ;)

But Job points out their hypocrisy and defends God. Then Job falls into self pity. Then Eliphaz accuses Job of not fearing God. The Job turns on his friends as miserable comforters. And he cries out this prophetic statement about Jesus:

O that one might plead for a man with God, as a man [pleadeth] for his neighbour!

So Job continues to defend his righteousness. Then his friend says how God punishes the wicked, implying Job sinned. THEN!! The truth comes out, Job calls out his friends and shows that they are puffed up showing themselves superior to him because they weren't "punished" by God. The very essences of hypocrisy being vomited onto Job. Job shows his faith in his Redeemer! Still, his friend berate him with accusations he must have done something wrong. Finally Eliphaz says that Job is a great sinner. Isn't that what we do? We quickly judge someone's condition as a matter of cause and effect! We quickly dismiss the truth for our own experiences and excuses, being self-righteous about our state. Then Eliphaz has the gall to say "repent and God will have mercy!" How many times have we heard that!? Job says he's innocent and what does his friends say? "Men cannot be holy in front of God!" Job replies that God is holy unsearchable and infinite. Job goes on to defend his integrity and that of God's. Then a bystander comes into the picture, Elihu, which is SO perfect! "Elihu" means "He is my God!" Son of "Barachel" (meaning (God blesses) the Buzite (hehehe means "Contempt"!) But OH what a message he has! He was so angry because they didn't give God the glory! He calls them all out for trying to be greater than God! He expounds a great truth: God speaks and man hears not, so God speaks in dreams so that man can repent! Oh Lord speak to me!!! Then Elihu speaks of Jesus:

If there be a messenger with him, an interpreter, one among a thousand, to shew unto man his uprightness: Then he is gracious unto him, and saith, Deliver him from going down to the pit: I have found a ransom.

He shall pray unto God, and he will be favourable unto him: and he shall see his face with joy: for he will render unto man his righteousness.

Therefore hearken unto me, ye men of understanding: far be it from God, [that he should do] wickedness; and [from] the Almighty, [that he should commit] iniquity.

This is Job's sin, his error. Job 1:21 "...The LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away..."

And the LORD said to Job: “Shall a faultfinder contend with the Almighty? He who argues with God, let him answer it.”

“Dress for action like a man; I will question you, and you make it known to me. Will you even put me in the wrong? Will you condemn me that you may be in the right?

I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. Wherefore I abhor [myself], and repent in dust and ashes.

Job is the best example to all Christian forums: something bad happens and the debates begin, bantering back and forth the merits of this that and the other. Punch counter punch. In the end God speaks and puts all to shame. Anyone that says all this, or anything in their lives is God's fault, is a fool.

There they cry out, but he does not answer, because of the pride of evil men. Surely God does not hear an empty cry, nor does the Almighty regard it.

If they listen and serve him, they complete their days in prosperity, and their years in pleasantness. But if they do not listen, they perish by the sword and die without knowledge.

There is only one cause and effect: choose life and live, choose death and die. Yep, it's that simple. God has given us EVERYTHING we need to prosper in Him giving Him and ONLY Him the glory!

Therefore men fear him; he does not regard any who are wise in their own conceit.”

Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

I hope this helps.

Side note:

The Pleiades system is fixed and does not move from one another, yet the belt of Orion is flying apart! Job is a great book for the hidden treasures of God's creation!

Yes to the hidden treasures of God!

Random thought.. I wonder if anyone has ever thought about making a brand of clothing called "For God by God". Then on the clothing it could say 4GBG. The commercial could start off with doves in a cage looking out to a beautiful scenery of a rainforest or some nice landscape in New Zealand. Then an innocent looking child notices the sad doves locked up in the cage and decides to release them. When the doves are released they are filled with joy. As they fly away into the sunset they are chirping "forgeeebeeegeee forgeeebeeegeeeeeeeeee"

I hope this helps.

Side note:

The problem is with gods ordinal gamble he said job would not curse him. However job says "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh". God also says "will you even put me in the wrong". Does that mean that job cursed god because if he did then god would have lost the gamble. Continuing on that line of reasoning leads us to conclude some very strange things.

The problem is with gods ordinal gamble he said job would not curse him. However job says "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh". God also says "will you even put me in the wrong". Does that mean that job cursed god because if he did then god would have lost the gamble. Continuing on that line of reasoning leads us to conclude some very strange things.
Do you know why God asks questions? When you answer that, then you'll know why it happened to Job.

God also says that everything in the Bible is true. If Job was fictional, why in the world should we read the Bible then? That wouldn't follow the teachings he has taught us. If one thing in the Bible isn't true, then so is the rest.

Not all of then. Still something could be god inspired but also fiction. Not all of gods lessons need to be real scenarios
If that's true then is Adam real? Is Noah real? How could you tell if one person is real from the other. Job was just as important as everyone else in the Bible. So I am sticking with the fact that everything in the Bible is nonfictional.

Back