Is it a sin to kill a thief

• Yes

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Not if it was an accident

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
It is obvious to chase a thief when he runs away with ur things. He didnt mean to chase him to kill him. I agree that even if he is a thief it is a sin to kill him but even if some random person is killed by a accident it will not be a sin. Because accidents occur we dont make it happen

I would have chased the guy too. He would be taking away what I need to care for my family and that's not acceptable. I'm not a doormat, so I'm not going to let anyone take anything from me and I also won't let anyone walk away with my stuff if they manage to get it.

Maybe it's okay to chase a thief as a nonbeliever but for Christians I think Jesus said something about if your enemy takes something then give him something else also... On the road I'll post scripture later.

Its not about killing its all about an accident..He didn't mean to kill him

Maybe it was an accident, but in court I'm not sure if it would play out that way.

He was chasing after someone that stole from him, so you have motive. Then he crashed into him from behind, and I believe with insurance companies that would of made him automatically at fault. He said the thief was "speeding" so it sounds like he was trying to get away, but the other guy still pursued.

It doesn't really seem like an accident based on the evidence, but anythings possible, it could of been an accident. Probably only God knows the truth.

It is the wrath, revenge and pride that lead to this poor mans death. I'm not sure if the brother is saved or not but regardless I wanted to share something I read in my book today (and I'm paraphrasing); 'Our true heart shows when we are tested and we are in the heat of the moment'. For the brother, it was not love. It's hard to say, but it's the truth. Where is right; if I were the brother, I would repent and ask God for forgiveness.

The thief is responsible for his own death.
He was the author of this tragedy by stealing in the first place.
Your brother apparently tried to recover his money (or at least track the thief), and
was it not the thiefs' erratic driving that caused his death?
Did your brother attempt a Pitt maneuver? If so, he was trying to stop the thief, not kill him.
It is sad that a man died in his sin, but he was the author of his misfortune, nobody else.

We are each responsible for our own actions, and all the results thereof.

He chased after the thief. It was not self defense. He is in sin. He should repent.

I don't often like to agree with Glomung, but .....................................

A believe I met in prison accused of molesting a 9 year old girl whom was the daughter of a women he shacked up with poured out this heart wrenching story to me about how she got the daughter to accuse him falsely and took his truck and moved in right away with a new doctor she met. This is the women second time of doing that to another man she had shacked up with sex abuse accusations.

Now for some reason, I believed this guy, you just know when someone is innocent. The had no evidence and the girl changed her story many times, but put a kid on video up in front of the jury and it's over no matter how innocent you are. He got 8 years and did not take a plea of probation for lack of proof and the fact the mother or the girl did not get their story straight. He said he was innocent and was not going to plea for something he did not do.

He was mad at God for this happening to him. He went to church, read his bible............

So, he asked me why God did not help him. I never give pat answers, I have to hear from God directly, so I told him I'll ask, and I'll get back with you when the Lord says something.

The Lord told me to go back and ask he what he knew about living with someone your not married to, and what bothered him constantly. The Lord told me, I warned him, I put it strong on him not to be with her, or just live with someone and have sex.

So, I went back and asked.......... How do you feel with living with someone your not married to, and have sex with them. He told me it was wrong, and he knew he blew that part..............

Then he went on about how she did him wrong again, and why the Lord did not help him.

I knew, there would be no point in explaining what happened to him, so I walked away.

The moral of the story is that if you put yourself in sin, then anything can happen to you, fair or not fair.

Jesus breaks it down though.

And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
(Luk 13:2-5)

Sin is sin, and it's not that God does not protect, that is not the question. The question is how the devil got a place to kill a person.

If your not right with God, your armor is down and all the devils get a free open season on you.

The other side............

The man that chased the guy down, also should have obeyed. Give him your coat also Jesus said..............Lack of obedience cost you.
God said I will repay........... Not the man back for stealing, but for what got stolen from you, and it's my experience that I get excited when someone steals from me, because God has always gotten me better back.

Got a nice 15 speed bike worth lots more money than my junky 10 speed....... and that is just one of the things.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to chastise Mikey because it falls on deaf, proud ears, but....
Making fun of a persons user name is pointlessly rude and childish, and says much about your level of maturity.

Be polite or be elsewhere.

Maybe it's okay to chase a thief as a nonbeliever but for Christians I think Jesus said something about if your enemy takes something then give him something else also... On the road I'll post scripture later.

That scripture, Matthew 5:40:
If you are sued in court and your shirt is taken from you, give your coat, too.

...is about when we are in the wrong and those who deserve and demand to be made right want more---we ought to give it and offer more to make sure he is made right.

If things are more important to a person than life, then I think the person will choose to defend property by taking a life. That would be sin. Nothing is more valuable than a person's life.

That scripture, Matthew 5:40:
If you are sued in court and your shirt is taken from you, give your coat, too.

...is about when we are in the wrong and those who deserve and demand to be made right want more---we ought to give it and offer more to make sure he is made right.

Lets take a look at the the whole paragraph to see what it's about:

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Love for Enemies
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

So I don't necessarily think the focus is "when we are in the wrong" because the verse before that gives no indication that being slapped and turning the cheek has to do with deserving it, nor does the verse after that give any indication that it's because someone is at fault.

I could be wrong but I think the main point of the passage is not paying evil with evil. It actually appears that the passage is about paying evil with love. So if the man had been following this passage, I think he would of let the thief have the money.

Lets take a look at the the whole paragraph to see what it's about:

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Love for Enemies
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

So I don't necessarily think the focus is "when we are in the wrong" because the verse before that gives no indication that being slapped and turning the cheek has to do with deserving it, nor does the verse after that give any indication that it's because someone is at fault.

I could be wrong but I think the main point of the passage is not paying evil with evil. It actually appears that the passage is about paying evil with love. So if the man had been following this passage, I think he would of let the thief have the money.

For someone to slap your right cheek, they will most likely use their left hand, they didn't have tp then, they used their left hand for that. It is more disrespectful to slap someone on the right cheek. By offering them your other cheek, you would give them an opportunity to show you respect, thereby showing generosity to your enemy gives you authority over them.

Let him keep the money. If you read into it more and compare the other gospel, we are told God will give back what is taken and is good to us and the ungrateful.

Psa 50:18 When thou sawest a thief,then thou consentedst with him, and hast been partaker with adulterers. note View more

Pro 6:30 Men do not despise a thief,if he steal to satisfy his soul when he is hungry;

Psa 34:14 Depart from evil,and do good; seek peace, and pursue it.
Psa 38:20 They also that render evil for good are mine adversaries; because I follow the thing that good

Pro 13:21 Evil pursueth sinners: but to the righteous good shall be repayed.

21 If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink
Pro 25:22 For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the LORD shall reward thee.

More than enough instruction on how this should have been handled.

Being sued indicates that we were in the wrong. I do not think God doesn't want us to mount a proper defense if we are innocent. He enters in and defends us. When we are being sued and lose, we need to offer more than what is required to show a right, humble heart.

Back