Is Ice-cream Good Or Bad? Or Any Form Of Snacks?

If you consider smoking a sin, then you have to consider ice cream to be a sin. Both do harm to the body, and the body is the temple of God. Of course you can make the argument "in moderation." Well, smoking in moderation then too.

Ice cream has high fructose corn syrup, which is proven to cause retardation, often contains mercury, can damage your liver, and many other things. When I think about that, and if I thought what I put in my body is a sin, then I would consider ice cream more of a sin than cigarets.

Hmm. I don't agree though. But I understand your reasoning.

I don't believe so. No.

I believe just because something isn't a sin in the bible doesn't mean we should do it. Ice-cream is ok. Smoking is not.

But I could be wrong.

I could be wrong too, but it's worth diving into.

Help me understand this:
Smoking isn't necessary, isn't healthy, but is calming.
Candy isn't necessary, isn't healthy, but is delicious.

Putting aside addiction and gluttony, John smokes a cigar after his son was born. Milo eats a candy bar that he bought at the bodega. Neither one did this again for a year or two.

Which one of these guys sinned and why? Both, neither, or one of them?

I could be wrong too, but it's worth diving into.

Help me understand this:
Smoking isn't necessary, isn't healthy, but is calming.
Candy isn't necessary, isn't healthy, but is delicious.

Putting aside addiction and gluttony, John smokes a cigar after his son was born. Milo eats a candy bar that he bought at the bodega. Neither one did this again for a year or two.

Which one of these guys sinned and why? Both, neither, or one of them?

Very, interesting. John sinned. Because I believe you open yourself to demons when you smoke. I mean, I read up on people who have had near death experiences, and they were shown the demons that possessed them when they drink. I think when they did drugs too. ( don't remember).

That's just why I believe smoking and drinking is wrong or any drugs for that matter. But I'm not sure.......

And the visions of heaven and hell is a whole other topic, I just mentioned it as it influenced my beliefs on certain things like drinking excessively and smoking.

Very, interesting. John sinned. Because I believe you open yourself to demons when you smoke. I mean, I read up on people who have had near death experiences, and they were shown the demons that possessed them when they drink. I think when they did drugs too. ( don't remember).

That's just why I believe smoking and drinking is wrong or any drugs for that matter. But I'm not sure.......

And the visions of heaven and hell is a whole other topic, I just mentioned it as it influenced my beliefs on certain things like drinking excessively and smoking.

How does one open himself to demons through smoking? I think we're getting somewhere. Also, why not with candy? Why don't demons intervene when someone is eating candy?

I'll definitely be asking about the drinking part soon too, especially in regards to wine.

How does one open himself to demons through smoking? I think we're getting somewhere. Also, why not with candy? Why don't demons intervene when someone is eating candy?

I'll definitely be asking about the drinking part soon too, especially in regards to wine.

LOL. Man, I don't know. I'm just stating my opinion. I'm just going by what these folks say. I don't think they're all truthful, but I believe some really were shown these things by the Lord.

I don't know if we open ourselves to demonic forces when we eat candy. But it's a possibility. lol

LOL. Man, I don't know. I'm just stating my opinion. I'm just going by what these folks say. I don't think they're all truthful, but I believe some really were shown these things by the Lord.

I don't know if we open ourselves to demonic forces when we eat candy. But it's a possibility. lol

Hahaha, perhaps. If so, I need to be careful because I love candy.

Let's say drinking, because drinking is often synonymous with smoking. Is drinking a sin if Christ himself drank? When I say drinking, I don't mean to excess, but just drinking something that happens to be alcoholic. And if it is, why was it not a sin when Christ did it but still a sin when we do it?

Hahaha, perhaps. If so, I need to be careful because I love candy.

Let's say drinking, because drinking is often synonymous with smoking. Is drinking a sin if Christ himself drank? When I say drinking, I don't mean to excess, but just drinking something that happens to be alcoholic. And if it is, why was it not a sin when Christ did it but still a sin when we do it?

Hmm. True. I'm stumped there. But I think it's wrong to drink until one gets drunk. But not one or two. But then I guess drugs once in a while is also not a sin then.

Hmm. True. I'm stumped there. But I think it's wrong to drink until one gets drunk. But not one or two. But then I guess drugs once in a while is also not a sin then.

I agree that drinking for the goal of getting drunk is a sin. The Scriptures made this clear in fact.

The subject of drugs is a good one, but it's one of those things that has to be specified. For example, drugs used to medicine purposes isn't (unless you are a Christian Scientist, then you believe it is always a sin). Drugs designed specifically for a state of intoxication (heroin, meth, crack, etc.) are clearly wrong because it does nothing but intoxicate.

Marijuana is one drug that is ALWAYS argued back and forth. Recreationally, like any drug, I'd say is a problem because the goal is to get into a state of intoxication. Medicinally -- very useful in countering pain and illness.

So when we get into "drugs," it has to be specified since saying either "drugs are good" or "drugs are bad" is very blanketed.

I agree that drinking for the goal of getting drunk is a sin. The Scriptures made this clear in fact.

The subject of drugs is a good one, but it's one of those things that has to be specified. For example, drugs used to medicine purposes isn't (unless you are a Christian Scientist, then you believe it is always a sin). Drugs designed specifically for a state of intoxication (heroin, meth, crack, etc.) are clearly wrong because it does nothing but intoxicate.

Marijuana is one drug that is ALWAYS argued back and forth. Recreationally, like any drug, I'd say is a problem because the goal is to get into a state of intoxication. Medicinally -- very useful in countering pain and illness.

So when we get into "drugs," it has to be specified since saying either "drugs are good" or "drugs are bad" is very blanketed.

That's what I meant. I should have been specific. Sorry.
Drugs to get high is wrong, but for medicinal purposes, good. Drinking to get drunk, is wrong. But a little is ok.

That's what I meant. I should have been specific. Sorry.
Drugs to get high is wrong, but for medicinal purposes, good. Drinking to get drunk, is wrong. But a little is ok.

Since we're at this place, what are your thoughts on smoking? I'll agree, not a good idea, but does it still follow that it is a sin or just not the best idea healthwise?

KingJ pointed out earlier that a lot of people link smoking as a sin because of its association; it's often the scoundrels and ne'er-do-wells we link to smoking.

Since we're at this place, what are your thoughts on smoking? I'll agree, not a good idea, but does it still follow that it is a sin or just not the best idea healthwise?

KingJ pointed out earlier that a lot of people link smoking as a sin because of its association; it's often the scoundrels and ne'er-do-wells we link to smoking.

If the bible calls getting drunk a sin, then smoking is to. But in the context of smoking to the point of losing control of yourself.
Yet, it seems wrong, even if it's once in a while. I don't think God would approve of it. But that's my feeling towards it.

If the bible calls getting drunk a sin, then smoking is to. But in the context of smoking to the point of losing control of yourself.
Yet, it seems wrong, even if it's once in a while. I don't think God would approve of it. But that's my feeling towards it.

People literally don't get intoxicated from smoking. Relaxed? Yeah. Though I'm drinking a cup of sleepy time tea right now and that's relaxing me.

If God doesn't approve of smoking, then I suspect he also doesn't approve of candy, right?

People literally don't get intoxicated from smoking. Relaxed? Yeah. Though I'm drinking a cup of sleepy time tea right now and that's relaxing me.

If God doesn't approve of smoking, then I suspect he also doesn't approve of candy, right?

But, eating too much candy won't make you lose control. Or get you addicted. But smoking will. Yes? :p

But, eating too much candy won't make you lose control. Or get you addicted. But smoking will. Yes? :p

Addiction is another subject, especially since people can and do get addicted to candy. But some people might smoke only on special occasions. Addiction is a problem, but that doesn't follow that the item itself is the sin.

Anything can literally become an addiction depending on the individual. Addiction is a red herring in the discussion of whether smoking is a sin or not.

Last edited:
Addiction is another subject, especially since people can and do get addicted to candy. But some people might smoke only on special occasions. Addiction is a problem, but that doesn't follow that the item itself is the sin.
True, but the lack of evil in the item or even the act itself doesn't leave us free and clear.
"Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble."
I don't believe alcohol or the act of drinking it is inherently sinful, but growing up around native american foster brothers and sisters who were placed in care almost exclusively due their parents succumbing to the rampant alcoholism that continues to eat at much of their culture, I'm keenly aware of how my use of my personal liberty to drink can be sinful...not as an act of debauchery, but of neglected charity. Like-wise, as a high-school teacher I watched many students rush to embrace their adulthood by smoking as soon as possible. My experience watching many of them wrestle with addiction over the following years and hearing the quitters struggle when others smoked at get-togethers and reunions convinced me that, in my position, exercising my liberty to smoke would be uncharitable to those who see and react to my actions.
...as of right now, I do still eat meat :) lord willing I will not be put in a position to give that up for the sake of charity :)

True, but the lack of evil in the item or even the act itself doesn't leave us free and clear.
"Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble."
I don't believe alcohol or the act of drinking it is inherently sinful, but growing up around native american foster brothers and sisters who were placed in care almost exclusively due their parents succumbing to the rampant alcoholism that continues to eat at much of their culture, I'm keenly aware of how my use of my personal liberty to drink can be sinful...not as an act of debauchery, but of neglected charity. Like-wise, as a high-school teacher I watched many students rush to embrace their adulthood by smoking as soon as possible. My experience watching many of them wrestle with addiction over the following years and hearing the quitters struggle when others smoked at get-togethers and reunions convinced me that, in my position, exercising my liberty to smoke would be uncharitable to those who see and react to my actions.
...as of right now, I do still eat meat :) lord willing I will not be put in a position to give that up for the sake of charity :)

Oh, and very explicitly. Alcohol, for instance, has been a tool that has torn families apart. You mentioned American Indians -- alcoholism has been a real problem within the cultures. It's very sad.

And you're right that even if something is often good it doesn't mean it's always good. Some people have made exercise their idol.

This is why I'm trying to get the subject of addiction out of the discussion.

Oh, and very explicitly. Alcohol, for instance, has been a tool that has torn families apart. You mentioned American Indians -- alcoholism has been a real problem within the cultures. It's very sad.

And you're right that even if something is often good it doesn't mean it's always good. Some people have made exercise their idol.

Are you talking about people that came from India to America?

Anything can literally become an addiction depending on the individual. Addiction is a red herring in the discussion of whether smoking is a sin or not.
I'm sorry I misunderstood. So what you're trying to establish is if smoking is categorically sinful regardless of context or the attitude of the heart? No exceptions for the tradition of cigars for the new father, peace pipes honoring peace agreements, etc?

Back