Is Ice-cream Good Or Bad? Or Any Form Of Snacks?

You know... that could take us down a whole different rabbit hole that you weren't planning on....

Here's a taste....

There's a lot of research that your own very poor nutrition before having children can "Impair" your children for up to 4 generations (Assuming they do not share the poor nutrition)......

I think I read somewhere "The Sins of the Father shall be paid to the 3rd and 4th generation"....

So.... Is it a Sin?

Dig dig dig....

I think it's wrong to smoke. It's a sin. Though it's not like the bible says. I don't think you can compare eating junk food to smoking. Fried chicken and potatoes, a sin? No way. Smoking and killing of brain cells and damaging your lungs? Yes.

But that's my opinion.

If you consider smoking a sin, then you have to consider ice cream to be a sin. Both do harm to the body, and the body is the temple of God. Of course you can make the argument "in moderation." Well, smoking in moderation then too.

Ice cream has high fructose corn syrup, which is proven to cause retardation, often contains mercury, can damage your liver, and many other things. When I think about that, and if I thought what I put in my body is a sin, then I would consider ice cream more of a sin than cigarets.

If you consider smoking a sin, then you have to consider ice cream to be a sin. Both do harm to the body, and the body is the temple of God. Of course you can make the argument "in moderation." Well, smoking in moderation then too.
Smoking can't be done in moderation though. Nicotene is highly addictive.

Hello all. So, I love ice-cream. I eat it after a meal. But sometimes I feel guilty - sometimes- because of the following verses:
Dt 21:20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

Pr 23:20 Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: 21 For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

Is it wrong to eat ice-cream or a snack after a meal? That's gluttony right? But if I eat it before that.... isn't that also gluttony?

Thoughts?
Whenever I think of gluttony I think of the wealthy Romans. I think scripture referred directly to their kind of gluttony. A point often missed is that the sin is chiefly the revelry and debauchery that followed the gluttony. This article is a good read. http://www.lookandlearn.com/blog/27508/gluttony-hastened-the-decline-and-fall-of-the-roman-empire/

Solomon grouped drunkards and gluttons together in Prov 23:20-21 Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of meat, for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags.

I believe we could safely add drunkenness with gluttony in these verses.

Rom 13:13 Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy.
Isaiah 5:11 Woe to those who rise early in the morning (addicted), that they may run after strong drink, who tarry late into the evening as wine inflames them!

1 Pet 4:3 For the time that is past suffices for doing what the Gentiles want to do, living in sensuality, passions, drunkenness, orgies, drinking parties, and lawless idolatry.

If we all had a CFS get together, got drunk, but had no revelry and debauchery, would we be evil?

Debauchery = Indulgence in sensual pleasures; scandalous activities involving sex, alcohol, or drugs without inhibition. Synonyms: dissipation, dissoluteness, degeneracy, corruption, vice, turpitude, depravity, loucheness, rakishness, libertinism, immodesty, indecency, perversion, shamelessness, iniquity, wickedness, sinfulness, sinning, impropriety, lack of morals, lack of principles, immorality, impurity, unchastity, lasciviousness, salaciousness, lechery, lecherousness, lewdness, bawdiness, lust, lustfulness, libidinousness, licentiousness, promiscuity, wantonness, abandonment, abandon, profligacy, decadence, immoderateness, intemperance, lack of restraint, indulgence, self-indulgence, pleasure-seeking, hedonism, sybaritism;

I think it's wrong to smoke. It's a sin. Though it's not like the bible says. I don't think you can compare eating junk food to smoking. Fried chicken and potatoes, a sin? No way. Smoking and killing of brain cells and damaging your lungs? Yes.

But that's my opinion.

If smoking is a sin, is eating mcdonalds also a sin?

Some people do. Celibatory cigars, the occasional pipe, etc. though most who smoke do it regularly.
All I know is that a cigar has 70 times as much nicotine as a cigarette. I crave one whenever I see someone smoke it. Maybe, due to the surplus nicotine intake its less addictive?

All I know is that a cigar has 70 times as much nicotine as a cigarette. I crave one whenever I see someone smoke it. Maybe, due to the surplus nicotine intake its less addictive?

Perhaps.
Though some of us here are making definite statements that smoking is objectively a sin. I'm not necessarily arguing against it, but it is a very blanketed statement. I'm not sure I'm ready to make the same conclusion. There has to be some criteria and reason for it. If it's simply because we don't like it, then it's a matter of taste and opinion.

Take candy for example; it's unhealthy, there is no point to it other than to merely enjoy it as a treat. But I don't think it's a sin to have candy. To take it in excess (ie, gluttony) yes, but the candy is merely the product, not the sin itself.

If we ignore the fact that smoking can be addicting for a moment (because for some, it really isn't), then is it still a sin? If Joe smokes a cigar once every three months or so, just like his 16-year-old daughter Suzie who eats candy only on holidays, is one committing a sin and the other not?

Some people do. Celibatory cigars, the occasional pipe, etc. though most who smoke do it regularly.

The reason why I made a bad comparison in this one is because it would be better for someone to eat McDonald's than to not eat at all. Though perhaps candy (pure flavored and colored sugar) would have been a better comparison.

All smoking products are bad for your respiratory system.

And any nicotine is simply drug abuse.

If something is unhealthy, does that make it a sin? I have to admit, some of my favorite foods aren't the healthiest -- I love a bloody steak sometimes though I know it's not good for me. If it is a sin to have something unhealthy sometimes, then it means I am living a sin and need to stop. But if it isn't, then perhaps the concern is really just a physical one, not a spiritual one.

Perhaps.
Though some of us here are making definite statements that smoking is objectively a sin. I'm not necessarily arguing against it, but it is a very blanketed statement. I'm not sure I'm ready to make the same conclusion. There has to be some criteria and reason for it. If it's simply because we don't like it, then it's a matter of taste and opinion.

Take candy for example; it's unhealthy, there is no point to it other than to merely enjoy it as a treat. But I don't think it's a sin to have candy. To take it in excess (ie, gluttony) yes, but the candy is merely the product, not the sin itself.

If we ignore the fact that smoking can be addicting for a moment (because for some, it really isn't), then is it still a sin? If Joe smokes a cigar once every three months or so, just like his 16-year-old daughter Suzie who eats candy only on holidays, is one committing a sin and the other not?
I agree with your reasoning.

No substance on its own is a sin. God made tobacco. God made wine. It is the debauchery and revelry that accompanies them that is the issue. There is also an argument for 'appearance of evil' since all the wicked I know smoke, drink and have tattoos. I have told me wife that there is a rule in our house...we only drink with Christians :giggle:.

Nicotene addiction is bordering sin though. If we can't abstain / fast from it, it is an issue.

I agree with your reasoning.

No substance on its own is a sin. God made tobacco. God made wine. It is the debauchery and revelry that accompanies them that is the issue. There is also an argument for 'appearance of evil' since all the wicked I know smoke, drink and have tattoos.

Nicotene addiction is bordering sin though. If we can't abstain / fast from it, it is an issue.

That is a good point -- nicotine can really border sin because it is difficult to abstain if someone indulges. But couldn't sex be seen the same way? Sex is a good thing, but if it is mistreated, it becomes a real problem.

But then the problem wouldn't be sex, it would be the mistreatment. Likewise, smoking wouldn't be the sin, but the mistreatment. Couldn't that be the case?

That is a good point -- nicotine can really border sin because it is difficult to abstain if someone indulges. But couldn't sex be seen the same way? Sex is a good thing, but if it is mistreated, it becomes a real problem.

But then the problem wouldn't be sex, it would be the mistreatment. Likewise, smoking wouldn't be the sin, but the mistreatment. Couldn't that be the case?
I am not really sure how addictive nicotene is. Can a chain smoker fast a week from it?

Sex is not a good comparison. Sure, dopamine is addictive. But, excessive sex does not destroy our bodies :cautious:.

Yes, mistreatment is the real problem. Jesus will never say this:

Matt 7:22-23 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you smokers.

I am not really sure how addictive nicotene is. Can a chain smoker fast a week from it?

I don't know. A chain smoker? Probably not very easily for a chain smoker.

Sex is not a good comparison. Sure, dopamine is addictive. But, excessive sex does not destroy our bodies :cautious:.

I'm not talking about the addictive aspect. I think we're not trailing into addiction, which is what I was trying to avoid. It's not a good analogy, but I think it's still a fair one because the analogy was one thing that isn't wrong that can easily slip into being wrong through some form of perversion. It's a dumb analogy, but like any other kind, there are similarities and differences.

Yes, mistreatment is the real problem. Jesus will never say this:

Matt 7:22-23 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you smokers.

Hahaha, nicely done ;)

How about this one.. Is smoking cigarettes good or bad? Why?

Great question. I smoked from 18 until I was about 22, mainly because it was the 'cool' thing to do. Are cigarettes bad for you health wise, yes. Do they serve a purpose other than fulfilling a need because of addiction, no. People who say they need a cigarette to 'cope with stress' are ridiculous in my opinion. Okay, maybe not the people, but their excuse is. I used to use the same one, now I just cast all of my stresses onto the Lord. That's much more fulfilling then smoking the stress away.

Great question. I smoked from 18 until I was about 22, mainly because it was the 'cool' thing to do. Are cigarettes bad for you health wise, yes. Do they serve a purpose other than fulfilling a need because of addiction, no. People who say they need a cigarette to 'cope with stress' are ridiculous in my opinion. Okay, maybe not the people, but their excuse is. I used to use the same one, now I just cast all of my stresses onto the Lord. That's much more fulfilling then smoking the stress away.
Reminds me of these verses

Romans 6
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions. 13 Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness.

If something is unhealthy, does that make it a sin? I have to admit, some of my favorite foods aren't the healthiest -- I love a bloody steak sometimes though I know it's not good for me. If it is a sin to have something unhealthy sometimes, then it means I am living a sin and need to stop. But if it isn't, then perhaps the concern is really just a physical one, not a spiritual one.

Here is my way of determining if it is sinful. Because The king said that which goes into a man does not defile him, but what comes from his wicked heart does.

So is the steak addictive?
Do you need steak everyday? Not want, NEED.
Is there a dependency on steak?
Will steak take you away from family, friends and ruin you financially?

If you say no to any or all of these, then steak is NOT going to defile you.

Drugs, themselves are NOT sinful when used properly.

But when used as a toy, improperly and abusively; then it is sinful.

Just like gluttony, drunkeness, addictions to narcotics, prescriptions, sex, gambling and so forth.

These defile, for you are wasting God's gifts.

A cup of coffee is not an issue, even one red bull a day is not. Ten red bulls, five mountain dews and six five shot ventes in a day from starstrucks IS a problem.

A cup of coffee is not an issue, even one red bull a day is not. Ten red bulls, five mountain dews and six five shot ventes in a day from starstrucks IS a problem.

I don't know if I would so much call this a 'problem' as I would call it 'death' :confused:

Here is my way of determining if it is sinful. Because The king said that which goes into a man does not defile him, but what comes from his wicked heart does.

So is the steak addictive?
Do you need steak everyday? Not want, NEED.
Is there a dependency on steak?
Will steak take you away from family, friends and ruin you financially?

If you say no to any or all of these, then steak is NOT going to defile you.

Drugs, themselves are NOT sinful when used properly.

But when used as a toy, improperly and abusively; then it is sinful.

Just like gluttony, drunkeness, addictions to narcotics, prescriptions, sex, gambling and so forth.

These defile, for you are wasting God's gifts.

I absolutely agree with you. Though would you call those excesses a sin because it's unhealthy or a sin because it is a dependency that divorces one's energy from God to something else--call it an idol.
And now I'm trying to figure our how smoking itself follows as being a sin, set apart from dependency and excess. Not all who smoke are dependent or do it in excess. I don't, but it's really a choice of health more than a choice of abstaining from sin.

Back