Is Ice-cream Good Or Bad? Or Any Form Of Snacks?

Hello all. So, I love ice-cream. I eat it after a meal. But sometimes I feel guilty - sometimes- because of the following verses:
Dt 21:20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

Pr 23:20 Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: 21 For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

Is it wrong to eat ice-cream or a snack after a meal? That's gluttony right? But if I eat it before that.... isn't that also gluttony?

Thoughts?

I'm sure it has already been said, but there is nothing wrong with eating ice cream or anything like that. Eating something classified as junk food doesn't equal gluttony. Excess is gluttony.

If Nicky eats a bowl of ice cream and Augy eats an excessive amount of carrots refusing to stop, then Augy has committed gluttony and Nicky hasn't done anything wrong.

Hello all. So, I love ice-cream. I eat it after a meal. But sometimes I feel guilty - sometimes- because of the following verses:
Dt 21:20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

Pr 23:20 Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: 21 For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

Is it wrong to eat ice-cream or a snack after a meal? That's gluttony right? But if I eat it before that.... isn't that also gluttony?

Thoughts?

A glutton is one that eats and then vomits it up, They waste food which is a gift from God. They squander a gift.

That is why it is wrong. It is not over eating nor is it being obese.

Oh thanks everyone. I shouldn't have felt so guilty.
Eating should not make you feel guilty.

Because that was God's food to give and he wanted you to have it.

Wasting it is bad. So making more than you can eat would be just as bad as eating and then throwing it up.

Give it away if you made too much. There are lots of people that would love what you made.

A glutton is one that eats and then vomits it up, They waste food which is a gift from God. They squander a gift.

That is why it is wrong. It is not over eating nor is it being obese.

I believe gluttony is a waste of food and a greed of it as well. Bulimia is a form of gluttony (though people wouldn't see it that way). Though mass consumption due to a greed for it is also gluttony. People who are obese may have been gluttonous, but obesity doesn't mean your a glutton, nor does a glutton mean you're obese.

Wait, I didn't know a glutton eats and then vomit it up? And surely it's wrong to overeat to the point where you become obese?

I said that gluttony CAN mean eating with the intention of vomiting it up. It's selfish. It's a form of wanting and taking without considering the responsibility that comes with it.

But it can also mean eating out of greed. Eating more than necessary. And it's not necessarily because it can lead to obesity because some people can literally eat far more than that ought and still appear to be in good shape. It's really a subject of excess and selfishness.

Wait, I didn't know a glutton eats and then vomit it up? And surely it's wrong to overeat to the point where you become obese?

The condition spoken of in The Bible was of the gluttons that existed in heretical areas. Babylon, Egypt and so on. Where this practise happened at feasts that would last weeks.

Going to the buffet once a week and helping yourself to three plates of General Tso's Chicken is NOT gluttony.

Making ten plates and eating only three, IS.

Making a whole cake and eating it yourself is also not gluttony.

Eating a whole cake and the vomiting it up because that much cake makes you sick, IS.

It is the same way with drunkenness. One drink, two drinks, no problem.
A whole bottle of whiskey, a case of beer and a bottle of wine then a quick run to the porcelain throne for a vomit... is.

Think of it as excess that leads to waste.

Hoarders get in there too. People that collect ceramice frogs until they need a whole room for just the frogs, well that's hoarding.

I guess one should know their limits... and not go beyond that.

While I'd say you're right about that, one doesn't have to get too technical. If someone were to eat and not realize that he surpassed his limit, then he hasn't done anything wrong. Most of us do that, and we don't even mean to. But if someone literally means to just eat all they can without any intention of practicing temperance, then they're crossing a line they ought not.

I had BBQ chicken last night with pork n beans n a couple home made buns and a hearty slice of Key Lime pie for dessert. I was HAPPYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!! and satisfied

I had BBQ chicken last night with pork n beans n a couple home made buns and a hearty slice of Key Lime pie for dessert. I was HAPPYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!! and satisfied

And so you should be.

But did you go an waste it by sticking your fingers down your throat?

Nope. God's OK with ya.

And if you wasted Key Lime pie, I'd be cross.

I don't think anyone is saying enjoying food is a sin. It isn't. It's a gift in fact. Excess and selfishness is the sin, and gluttony is directly the link between those things and food.

Though in recent years, people have been calling gluttony "the acceptable sin." It's a very tough one to divide because not only is eating a necessary act, but it is something we even strive to help others with if they need food.

I shared one perspective before. Let me add another perspective now.. Eating excessive is just like everything else.. How tasting wine is different from being a drunkard? It is somewhat similar to that.. Eating itself is not a sin.. If eating is going to define us as a person, then we have given control over to eating.. That is the problem..

Back