Is God your AUTHORITY?

I get it ,that I am the only person who believes that baptism is essential .

How do I know which church is correctly teaching the scriptures , they ALL say that they are teaching the word of God and ALL are worshiping according to the will of God but there are many differences in their teachings and worshiping .
All of the different church members I speak with believe that their church is teaching and worshiping the way God intended.
Can I just worship at any church of my choice and be saved.

How do I know which church is correctly teaching the scriptures , they ALL say that they are teaching the word of God and ALL are worshiping according to the will of God but there are many differences in their teachings and worshiping .
All of the different church members I speak with believe that their church is teaching and worshiping the way God intended.

As regards baptism. You didn't respond to my question (No3) about the thief on the cross. ie. When was he baptised?
Jesus told the thief that he would be in paradise with Jesus that day. This surely negates your insistence on baptism before salvation.

Also read the following.
Acts10v44While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message.
45The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles.
46For they heard them speaking in tonguesb and praising God. Then Peter said,
47“Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.”
48So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.

Here you see Cornelius and his household all being baptised in the Holy Spirit, demonstrating that they were born again children of God.
Only afterwards did they get baptised.

As regards baptism. You didn't respond to my question (No3) about the thief on the cross. ie. When was he baptised?
Jesus told the thief that he would be in paradise with Jesus that day. This surely negates your insistence on baptism before salvation.

Also read the following.
Acts10v44While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message.
45The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles.
46For they heard them speaking in tonguesb and praising God. Then Peter said,
47“Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.”
48So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.

Here you see Cornelius and his household all being baptised in the Holy Spirit, demonstrating that they were born again children of God.
Only afterwards did they get baptised.
Please read my post on 6/5 at 6:09 pm
It addresses the thief on the cross .

How do you know? By being like a Berean and searching the scriptures to ensure that what is being taught agrees with it. It isn't hard.

It should never be YOUR choice as to where you worship. Let God lead you to where HE DESIRES you to be PLANTED.

Psalm 1:3
He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper.

Jeremiah 17:8
They are like trees planted along a riverbank,
with roots that reach deep into the water.
Such trees are not bothered by the heat
or worried by long months of drought.
Their leaves stay green,
and they never stop producing fruit.

On baptism, I think we should look at Jesus' baptism for the proper view. Jesus was the Son of God before His baptism. His baptism was not for the remission of sin or the washing away of sin. John was baptizing others for the remission of sin. Jesus' baptism was the public announcement of His ministry, hence symbolic. It was and is the public testimony of how the rest of your life will be lived.
You could make a case that the Holy Spirit gets activated by your baptism. You have the believers in Acts who were baptized by John but had not received the Holy Spirit's power. Paul then baptized them properly, then they received the manifestation of the HS.
Baptism is the public profession of faith in Jesus Christ and unites you with Christ in His death, burial and resurrection. It is a commitment that strengthens your faith and is why it is so important.

How do you know? By being like a Berean and searching the scriptures to ensure that what is being taught agrees with it. It isn't hard.

It should never be YOUR choice as to where you worship. Let God lead you to where HE DESIRES you to be PLANTED.

Psalm 1:3
He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper.

Jeremiah 17:8
They are like trees planted along a riverbank,
with roots that reach deep into the water.
Such trees are not bothered by the heat
or worried by long months of drought.
Their leaves stay green,
and they never stop producing fruit.
This post does not answer my question.
I will try to make my question more pointed.
Everyone / every church member believes that the Holy Spirit has shown them that their teachings and their worship is according to the will of God .
They do not teach or worship the same .
Will God except every and all teaching and worship .
I am unable to believe that everyone is being lead by the Holy Spirit to a different church .

On baptism, I think we should look at Jesus' baptism for the proper view. Jesus was the Son of God before His baptism. His baptism was not for the remission of sin or the washing away of sin. John was baptizing others for the remission of sin. Jesus' baptism was the public announcement of His ministry, hence symbolic. It was and is the public testimony of how the rest of your life will be lived.
You could make a case that the Holy Spirit gets activated by your baptism. You have the believers in Acts who were baptized by John but had not received the Holy Spirit's power. Paul then baptized them properly, then they received the manifestation of the HS.
Baptism is the public profession of faith in Jesus Christ and unites you with Christ in His death, burial and resurrection. It is a commitment that strengthens your faith and is why it is so important.

Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist ( emersion) under the law of Moses .
Please study to rightly divide the old covenant from the new covenant . The thief on the cross was saved under the law of Moses .I digress.
Christ was not baptized for the remission of sins.
After Christ's baptism The Spirit of God came down as a dove and landed on Him to signify that He was a son of God because John was told that this was how The Christ would be revealed to him.
The reason it is so important is that on judgment day one of us will be wrong .

Everyone / every church member believes that the Holy Spirit has shown them that their teachings and their worship is according to the will of God .
I am unable to believe that everyone is being lead by the Holy Spirit to a different church .

God desires to lead His children to houses of worship where they will be fed the way He desires, but not many Christians actually stop long enough to ask for His leading, and go about looking for a church of their own particular liking. Despite that, God still is so very willing to work with and in that person who acts in such a way, who gets involved in a church that teaches particular error.

God works with what He's given. So, in a headstrong believer who decides for himself where he will worship, God is constrained to bring correction continually. Growth in that person will be slower in pace because of the error, and some will not grow at all, becoming complacent that this is it for them. God cannot work with such people. He loves to work with people who are malleable in His hands, no matter where they worship. He can lead them out when the time is right, and move them along into places of His choosing to bring correction and more truth to them.

God desires to lead His children to houses of worship where they will be fed the way He desires, but not many Christians actually stop long enough to ask for His leading, and go about looking for a church of their own particular liking. Despite that, God still is so very willing to work with and in that person who acts in such a way, who gets involved in a church that teaches particular error.

God works with what He's given. So, in a headstrong believer who decides for himself where he will worship, God is constrained to bring correction continually. Growth in that person will be slower in pace because of the error, and some will not grow at all, becoming complacent that this is it for them. God cannot work with such people. He loves to work with people who are malleable in His hands, no matter where they worship. He can lead them out when the time is right, and move them along into places of His choosing to bring correction and more truth to them.
I am very glad that you responded in a very short time. I can only respond as time allows . I want more time to read His word . I have this lifes responsibilities.

My joy is studying God's word .

Your answer does not agree with what I believe.
If The Holy Spirit is in the church and they are not teaching God's wil , you say that The Holy Spirit will guide me, why would The Holy Spirit allow that church to be .
Does each church have a function or path for God to bring everyone to His will ?

I am very glad that you responded in a very short time. I can only respond as time allows . I want more time to read His word . I have this lifes responsibilities.

My joy is studying God's word .

Your answer does not agree with what I believe.
If The Holy Spirit is in the church and they are not teaching God's wil , you say that The Holy Spirit will guide me, why would The Holy Spirit allow that church to be .
Does each church have a function or path for God to bring everyone to His will ?

You need to learn to differentiate the church (the local church) from the Church (the entire Body of Christ---all believers).

As for denominational differences---God despises factions and sectarianism, but He will work within it among those who know Him and seek Him, and He VERY OFTEN leads His children OUT of the places where the truth is not important, and false teaching is rife. Churches are closing every day, while others who please God are burgeoning.

As for your last question, God works in the individual to bring about His will. Ministries that are true to God and His word are blessed and have a particular function that He anoints them with to do His will in the world.

You need to learn to differentiate the church (the local church) from the Church (the entire Body of Christ---all believers).

As for denominational differences---God despises factions and sectarianism, but He will work within it among those who know Him and seek Him, and He VERY OFTEN leads His children OUT of the places where the truth is not important, and false teaching is rife. Churches are closing every day, while others who please God are burgeoning.

As for your last question, God works in the individual to bring about His will. Ministries that are true to God and His word are blessed and have a particular function that He anoints them with to do His will in the world.
The churches that I have referred to have been around for many years .
By your description it doesn't matter which church that I attend , I will be saved by The Holy Spirit .
I did not know that We were saved by The Holy Spirit .
My understanding is that we are saved by the sacrifice of the blood of Jesus Christ .
Thanks for your post .

The churches that I have referred to have been around for many years .
By your description it doesn't matter which church that I attend , I will be saved by The Holy Spirit .
I did not know that We were saved by The Holy Spirit .
My understanding is that we are saved by the sacrifice of the blood of Jesus Christ .
Thanks for your post .

Oh, it matters what church you go to. You need to follow the Lord's lead as He desires to plant you where you will put down string roots and grow to maturity, blooming and producing much good fruit!

You seem to read into what I've said and come away with the wrong impression. Please re-read and discover that fact for yourself.

What do you make of Romans 14 ? Does it not pertain to certain differences in beliefs?
1 Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things. 2 For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats only vegetables. 3 Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him. 4 Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.

5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks. 7 For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself. 8 For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. 9 For to this end Christ died and rose and lived again, that He might be Lord of both the dead and the living. 10 But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. 11 For it is written:

As I live, says the Lord,
Every knee shall bow to Me,
And every tongue shall confess to God.”

12 So then each of us shall give account of himself to God. 13 Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother’s way.
14 I know and am convinced by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean of itself; but to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 Yet if your brother is grieved because of your food, you are no longer walking in love. Do not destroy with your food the one for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let your good be spoken of as evil; 17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18 For he who serves Christ in these things is acceptable to God and approved by men.

19 Therefore let us pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are pure, but it is evil for the man who eats with offense. 21 It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak. 22 Do you have faith? Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. 23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.--

I think the Holy Spirit is saying small differences in beliefs should not become a fight or dispute to the point the weaker in faith could lose their faith or have their heart hardened against growth in the faith.

You may say baptism is not a small difference. Okay, but don't become a stumbling block causing someone to fall out of faith.

It is my belief that baptism is necessary as Jesus did say repent and be baptized, but I also believe that God is indeed merciful and up until the moment you die, there is always time to accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior and if it is 30 seconds before you die, God being merciful will have forgiven you and made you Righteous.

Reactions: Juk
What do you make of Romans 14 ? Does it not pertain to certain differences in beliefs?
1 Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things. 2 For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats only vegetables. 3 Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him. 4 Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.

5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks. 7 For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself. 8 For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. 9 For to this end Christ died and rose and lived again, that He might be Lord of both the dead and the living. 10 But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. 11 For it is written:

As I live, says the Lord,
Every knee shall bow to Me,
And every tongue shall confess to God.”

12 So then each of us shall give account of himself to God. 13 Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother’s way.
14 I know and am convinced by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean of itself; but to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 Yet if your brother is grieved because of your food, you are no longer walking in love. Do not destroy with your food the one for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let your good be spoken of as evil; 17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18 For he who serves Christ in these things is acceptable to God and approved by men.

19 Therefore let us pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are pure, but it is evil for the man who eats with offense. 21 It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak. 22 Do you have faith? Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. 23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.--

I think the Holy Spirit is saying small differences in beliefs should not become a fight or dispute to the point the weaker in faith could lose their faith or have their heart hardened against growth in the faith.

You may say baptism is not a small difference. Okay, but don't become a stumbling block causing someone to fall out of faith.
I believe that baptism is an act that is required by God .
Have you ever wondered how Philip brought up baptism to the Eunuch , oh by the way if you want to prove to me that you really believe you can be baptized.
Paul must have told the prison guard , oh by the way I want you and your house to be baptized to prove to me that you believe .
Peter must have said to Cornelius we don't see why you and your house don't get baptized to prove to us that you believe .
I believe that if it was only a ( believers ) baptism that it would have never been said that it is for remission of sins or to wash away sins .
Your scriptures say that if I do not do what I believe is right ,then I am sinning .
Is that what you are trying for . If it isn't ,then you should be careful about how you try to instruct others , because if I did not do what I believe to be right because you tell me that it is a little thing , then you are causing me to sin .

I do not consider Catholicism a Christian denomination, but rather it is a religion unto itself.

Baptism cannot save anyone. It is an ordinance we participate in as believers already, in obedience to God.
Amen. I also believe that Catholicism is its own religion.

I don't believe that the Catholics are saved, but if I say more,I might get in trouble.
There are thousands of denominations and thousands of churches.
They all preach and teach that they are preaching and teaching by THE HOLY SCRIPTURES .
I believe that there are but a few that are even coming close to preaching and teaching THE HOLY SCRIPTURES .
Many want to add words and others want to remove words .
Many want to change the meaning of words and others believe that meanings of words need to be changed for today .
I BELIEVE that THE HOLY SPIRIT used the correct words in the correct passages for us to see what God wants us to do to receive His Grace .
We must be like the Bereans and be willing to search and RIGHTLY divide God's word by putting them in context with all other scriptures to see the WHOLE STORY .
A very simple lesson to see how all scriptures are related is to read Mathew, Mark , Luke and John to see how when they are combined that you find out that Peter cut of the right ear of Malcus who was a relative and servant of the High Priest and was also the last person to ask Peter if he was with Jesus before the cock crowed .
Each gospel only gives us a portion of the facts . When all of them are combined ,then you know the WHOLE STORY .
Just like you do when all of THE HOLY SCRIPTURES are put together.
An example in Romans 3:38 a man is justified by faith and Romans 5:1 being justified by faith ,many say that it is by faith ( only and not by works) .
1Thessalonians1:3 says that faith is a work .
2 Thessalonians 1:11 says faith is a work.
James by the Holy Spirit explains faith and works or works and faith better than I can .
The HOLY SCRUPTURES are meant to be taken as a whole .

Reactions: Juk
Back