Is God All-Powerful?

• Yes

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said that. But if I do, I'll take more time to explain why I might say such a thing.

But let's go to square 1.
You said, "the Arminian gives glory to the men who preach the gospel and those who recieve it." And I can't think of any reason to go back to square 1 since we can't even agree on whether faith is a work.

You confuse spiritual deadness with physical deadness...

Explain this verse to me if indeed everyone can understand and believe the gospel as you say.

1 Corinthians 2:13-14
This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words. The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

This is parallel to Christ speaking about being born-again.

Do unborn children make a decision to be born?

What you are failing to see and to understand is that nobody can be saved unless, the Holy Spirit reveals to them that God really does exist, because they are spiritually dead. The Lord knew this from the beginning which is why he revealed himself to ALL men so they could have a choice to whom they will serve.

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

This grace did not appear to just a few of God's elect, but to ALL MEN.
If any man says he does not believe in God, God himself calls that person a LIAR......

1Jn 5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.

There is no excuse for any man or woman not to believe the truth that they can be saved. Why do men choose not to believe?

Joh 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Joh 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
Joh 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

These people have made up their own minds and have rejected the truth when they know it is true. There is no forgiveness to these people it is the unpardonable sin, which is knowing the truth but rejecting it.

We could ask the same questions about the way Calvinists deal with John 12:32.

Re. Paul, does God not know who will respond and who will rebel?
we can go about talking about John 12:32.. But I don't know if that is anything to do with Arminian beliefs..

Certainly God does.. Why God chose such a dramatic conversion for Paul? So God knows how Paul would respond positively. He does not proclaim gospel the same way to everyone. Gospel is preached to people in different ways. It is not an universal method applied to every human and then depends on the human to react to that. That is my point. God choses His ways to bring a person to His kingdom.

You said, "the Arminian gives glory to the men who preach the gospel and those who recieve it." And I can't think of any reason to go back to square 1 since we can't even agree on whether faith is a work.
Well let's discuss that then. There are some scriptures that actually say it is.

John 6:29
Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

What is the work? It is believing or having faith in Jesus. So faith is a work.

Ephesians 2:8-9
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.

Salvation by Grace through Faith is a gift from God. Since this is not by works, faith is not our own doing, because if it was our own doing then then salvation would be by works.

Yes it is in us, we are the ones having faith, but God is the one who gives it.

Last edited:
we can go about talking about John 12:32.. But I don't know if that is anything to do with Arminian beliefs..

Certainly God does.. Why God chose such a dramatic conversion for Paul? So God knows how Paul would respond positively. He does not proclaim gospel the same way to everyone. Gospel is preached to people in different ways. It is not an universal method applied to every human and then depends on the human to react to that. That is my point. God choses His ways to bring a person to His kingdom.
I can agree to that completely. There was only one "burning bush" incident, but many ways that God revealed himself to people. And the people to whom he revealed himself were chosen because of how God knew they would respond.

I can agree to that completely. There was only one "burning bush" incident, but many ways that God revealed himself to people. And the people to whom he revealed himself were chosen because of how God knew they would respond.
Okay.. So God knows how a person would respond and to what he or she would respond. That would mean, He also knows that some people are not going to respond positively whatever way He is going to reveal Himself. best example is Pharaoh. He saw the most tremendous miracles every recorded in Bible. He still didn't repent or look towards God. He knew he was fighting the Almighty and never gave up his evil ways. If burnish bush was not enough for Moses, God would have gone beyond that. His invitation to his elect cannot be ignored. Calvinists extend the principle spiritually and hence irresistible grace.

The reason why I don't call myself Calvinist is because I believe personal responsibility is absolutely true. Every man makes a conscious decision to follow Jesus Christ. At the same time, it is Holy Spirit which enables the person to make that decision of acceptance. How these two truth work together? I don't know!!!

Well let's discuss that then. There are some scriptures that actually say it is.

John 6:29
Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

What is the work? It is believing or having faith in Jesus. So faith is a work.

Ephesians 2:8-9
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.

Salvation by Grace through Faith is a gift from God. Since this is not by works, faith is not our own doing, because if it was our own doing then then salvation would be by works.

Yes it is in us, we are the ones having faith, but God is the one who gives it.

Remember no one is saved by, "faith". Why? because faith has works associated with it. We are save by "grace". Grace has no works associated with it as it is a free gift from God. If you want the grace by which we are saved then that requires "faith". Faith only gives us access to the grace in which saves men. No amount of faith, and works can save anyone. Anyone who thinks so does not know God.

Rom 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
Rom 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Last edited:
Okay.. So God knows how a person would respond and to what he or she would respond. That would mean, He also knows that some people are not going to respond positively whatever way He is going to reveal Himself. best example is Pharaoh. He saw the most tremendous miracles every recorded in Bible. He still didn't repent or look towards God. He knew he was fighting the Almighty and never gave up his evil ways. If burnish bush was not enough for Moses, God would have gone beyond that. His invitation to his elect cannot be ignored. Calvinists extend the principle spiritually and hence irresistible grace.

The reason why I don't call myself Calvinist is because I believe personal responsibility is absolutely true. Every man makes a conscious decision to follow Jesus Christ. At the same time, it is Holy Spirit which enables the person to make that decision of acceptance. How these two truth work together? I don't know!!!
Ravindran, you can call yourself a Calvinist. We don't deny the personal responsibility of the believer, but like you said we accept the reality that ultimately our faith and salvation comes from God.

Here is a wonderful video I encourage you to watch to give a better explanation.

Hopefully I am allowed to post a video link.

Ravindran, you can call yourself a Calvinist. We don't deny the personal responsibility of the believer, but like you said we accept the reality that ultimately our faith and salvation comes from God.

Here is a wonderful video I encourage you to watch to give a better explanation.

Hopefully I am allowed to post a video link.
I haven't watched it, but if it doesn't breach the forum rules it should be okay.
I will be watching it though.

Here is a decent link explaining the five points of Calvinism and Arminianism

http://www.graceonlinelibrary.org/r...sm/calvinism-vs-arminianism-comparison-chart/

It is a little known fact that the five points of Calvinism were predated by the five points of Arminianism. The five points of Calvinism were actually a response to these points presented at the Synod of Dort.

So Ravindran, or anyone else, look over these points and see which you agree with. It is probably pretty obvious I am what they call a Five-Point Calvinist.

Please also understand that both Arminians and Calvinists are Christians.

I don't know what's causing this, but now every time I load this page a whole bunch of Flash files start downloading to my computer.

Enough.

This topic has been 'discussed' to death.

If anyone starts another thread about Calvinism vs Arminianism, they will be banned.

Reactions: /
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back