Is fear a sin?

2Sa_15:14 And David said unto all his servants that were with him at Jerusalem, Arise, and let us flee; for we shall not else escape from Absalom: make speed to depart, lest he overtake us suddenly, and bring evil upon us, and smite the city with the edge of the sword.
Jer_6:1 O ye children of Benjamin, gather yourselves to flee out of the midst of Jerusalem, and blow the trumpet in Tekoa, and set up a sign of fire in Bethhaccerem: for evil appeareth out of the north, and great destruction.

Luk_21:21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.

The definition of flee is to run away from danger or evil. The first symptom of being in the face of evil is to flee (from fear).
Fear is a symptom of danger. I know I'm going to get pounded with, He who is in you is stronger than.....But scriptural advice as seen above is flee. It is God who is stronger than evil, not you the human being. Fear is a word and it is a warning sign. It all pans out in any event, no matter what happens.

In all your trying to prove fear you have walked out of the context. We are talking about feart that cripples ones faith. I see a truck run a red light yea fear hits and I run but that is not what this is about. Praying for God to move your land lord so he will not evict you before you get more money. Now as you claim to be trusting God by faith you are going around saying I hope God does this or I know that snooty man wont do it I know he hates me.

You are working against your own prayers and faith and this is with fear and doubt.
This gives satan right to interfere and steel kill and destroy. This does not give God much to work on. Faith moves God.........Fear and doubt give way to the devil

Gee, I thought I was going to go quietly off to sleep.
I have a journey to take tomorrow, and need it.

I feel the need to post my thoughts.

Something can be unprofitable but still not being sinful.

Fear is unprofitable, except in special cases. Even craven fear is not necessarily sinful.

Doubt is not unbelief. It may rob the Christian of assurance, and may not exhault the spirit, but not being a rock of faith is not sinful.

A blessed night to all.

In all your trying to prove fear you have walked out of the context. We are talking about feart that cripples ones faith. I see a truck run a red light yea fear hits and I run but that is not what this is about. Praying for God to move your land lord so he will not evict you before you get more money. Now as you claim to be trusting God by faith you are going around saying I hope God does this or I know that snooty man wont do it I know he hates me.

You are working against your own prayers and faith and this is with fear and doubt.
This gives satan right to interfere and steel kill and destroy. This does not give God much to work on. Faith moves God.........Fear and doubt give way to the devil

The thread asks is fear a sin - not about whether fear can cripple your faith. I don't work against my own prayers or faith by stating that fear, in of itself is not a sin. It certainly can cripple if you have baseless fears. However, you are condemning fear in all instances as a sin. I don't see it that way. I've heard your response on another thread that got closed. You said Job opened himself up to Satan by worrying about his children. I don't read that meaning into those scriptures.

The thread asks is fear a sin - not about whether fear can cripple your faith. I don't work against my own prayers or faith by stating that fear, in of itself is not a sin. It certainly can cripple if you have baseless fears. However, you are condemning fear in all instances as a sin. I don't see it that way. I've heard your response on another thread that got closed. You said Job opened himself up to Satan by worrying about his children. I don't read that meaning into those scriptures.

God Bless YOU and you have a wonderful night sister. Thank you for you views and may God bless you richly with His Love and Peace.
Blessings my friend
Jim

Gee, I thought I was going to go quietly off to sleep.
I have a journey to take tomorrow, and need it.

I feel the need to post my thoughts.

Something can be unprofitable but still not being sinful.

Fear is unprofitable, except in special cases. Even craven fear is not necessarily sinful.

Doubt is not unbelief. It may rob the Christian of assurance, and may not exhault the spirit, but not being a rock of faith is not sinful.

A blessed night to all.

A Christian can have "unbelief" and still be saved because he had faith to be saved, but has no faith in other ares of his life which is a sin!!!
Anything a Christian does without faith is sin!! Jesus knows learning faith is not done over night, and requires years to learn, which is why scripture tells us this....

2Ti 2:12 if we endure, we will also reign with him; if we deny him, he also will deny us;
2Ti 2:13 if we are faithless, he remains faithful— for he cannot deny himself.

Jesus can no deny him self because lives in us. His mercy is everlasting. To a non believer "unbelief" is never forgiven.

A Christian can have "unbelief" and still be saved because he had faith to be saved, but has no faith in other ares of his life which is a sin!!!
Anything a Christian does without faith is sin!! Jesus knows learning faith is not done over night, and requires years to learn, which is why scripture tells us this....

2Ti 2:12 if we endure, we will also reign with him; if we deny him, he also will deny us;

Jesus can no deny him self because lives in us. His mercy is everlasting. To a non believer "unbelief" is never forgiven.

Amen and here is the cure for doubt and unbelief and fear
Hebrews 11:6 - it is impossible to please God out side of faith.
Romans 12:2 - We are instructed to renew the mind with His written word
Romans 10:7 thus bringing us to Faith cometh by hearing of the word
Blessings
Jim

Amen and here is the cure for doubt and unbelief and fear
Hebrews 11:6 - it is impossible to please God out side of faith.
Romans 12:2 - We are instructed to renew the mind with His written word
Romans 10:7 thus bringing us to Faith cometh by hearing of the word
Blessings
Jim

An issue here is with the application .

We are given much wise advice to help in self examination. We can search our hearts and discover if our good works are rooted in obedience to Him, or if it is rooted in our own self. We can examine our fear and school ourselves to keep our eyes on the Lord.

The problem occurs when we turn these tools of introspective assessment outward and try to apply it to others. We can only surmise the state of the others heart. We may be able to offer advice in love, but the result is that our judgment is often faulty and can even be destructive.

You can (or more to the point, attempt to) measure sin as the difference between the believer's level of maturity and perfection. I really don't believe that is very useful, particularly when dealing with others. No one would ever measure up. It focuses on defects rather than growth.

I had a rather long winded example about the uselessness of using perfection as a measuring stick, but suffice it to say that it is much more effective to nurture whatever level of maturity exists and fight sin by replacing it with edifying behaviors.

The verses you quote are meant to encourage and give the believer heart to be steadfast, not a condemnation of the failings of the weak.

As far as the unbelief of an non-believer, that is quite different from doubt. I don't think anyone is saying that unbelief in Christ and His blood is OK. I know there are church members that have never had a doubt. The problem is that some of these same persons have never had a saving belief in the Lord.

All my life, I have noticed that people seem to feel they need to show or prove they are better than everyone else. The mote in thy brother's eye comes to mind. And some people attempt to show they are better on the backs of others. And I am not saying that is happening here. But "I have more faith than you "-- "I have no fear" whatever the phrase, you fill it in, raises my hackles/red flags because it comes off as a boast, to me. I don't care how anyone else judges my faith - because it is strong and I answer to the Lord. And it's a priviledge that comes with age (I'm an old bat)...But someone else, who doesn't post, who only reads could be mislead by calling out sins against God when they are not. Walking in the spirit is about understanding that and balancing.

You can (or more to the point, attempt to) measure sin as the difference between the believer's level of maturity and perfection. I really don't believe that is very useful, particularly when dealing with others. No one would ever measure up. It focuses on defects rather than growth.

I had a rather long winded example about the uselessness of using perfection as a measuring stick, but suffice it to say that it is much more effective to nurture whatever level of maturity exists and fight sin by replacing it with edifying behaviors.

The verses you quote are meant to encourage and give the believer heart to be steadfast, not a condemnation of the failings of the weak.

As far as the unbelief of an non-believer, that is quite different from doubt. I don't think anyone is saying that unbelief in Christ and His blood is OK. I know there are church members that have never had a doubt. The problem is that some of these same persons have never had a saving belief in the Lord.

With all due respect, I personally didn't view this post as condemning. But I do respect that others may view things differently.

When there is "error" a Christians belief system, God him self "corrects" that error. If we refuse to receive correction, then we are "chastised", and then after that we are "punished" Why would the Lord do that?

Heb 12:6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
Heb 12:7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
Heb 12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
Heb 12:9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
Heb 12:10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
Heb 12:11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

The Lords corrects us so that we might bring forth "the peaceable fruits of righteousness."
No Christian is exempt from this correction. The believers life is not all the time, "happy happy, joy, joy". Correction and discipline is " grevious" as the scripture says. "no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous:"
Unbelief is a sin no matter what we might think in our head, and the Lord corrects us because of it.

An issue here is with the application .

We are given much wise advice to help in self examination. We can search our hearts and discover if our good works are rooted in obedience to Him, or if it is rooted in our own self. We can examine our fear and school ourselves to keep our eyes on the Lord.

The problem occurs when we turn these tools of introspective assessment outward and try to apply it to others. We can only surmise the state of the others heart. We may be able to offer advice in love, but the result is that our judgment is often faulty and can even be destructive.

What are you talking about here ? What is being said is the word of God. Fear is opposed to the word of God and faith.

All my life, I have noticed that people seem to feel they need to show or prove they are better than everyone else. The mote in thy brother's eye comes to mind. And some people attempt to show they are better on the backs of others. And I am not saying that is happening here. But "I have more faith than you "-- "I have no fear" whatever the phrase, you fill it in, raises my hackles/red flags because it comes off as a boast, to me. I don't care how anyone else judges my faith - because it is strong and I answer to the Lord. And it's a priviledge that comes with age (I'm an old bat)...But someone else, who doesn't post, who only reads could be mislead by calling out sins against God when they are not. Walking in the spirit is about understanding that and balancing.

Same question for you. What are you talking about ? No one has said anything about someone having more faith then some one else. Walking in the spirit is walking as the written word of God says to walk, talk acr and react and how to believe and trust and so forth.

What are you talking about here ? What is being said is the word of God. Fear is opposed to the word of God and faith.

What I am talking about is the use of instructions for introspective spiritual self assessment to condem others.

Or, being more concerned with the mote in your brothers eye while being blinded by the beam in yours.

A few posts ago, I alluded to the fear of the Lord. The response was fear = respect. While I do understand better now than I did when I was a new Christian and I have come a fuller understanding, it may be interesting to delve into that, especially in this forum where many members draw broad and firm instruction based on the word choice in the original text.

"Fear of the Lord" / "Fear of God" is refrained throughout His word, but "respect for God" is rare.

I do think there is a lesson here, and it also sheds light on whether fear, in general, is sin.

Fear, even other than the fear of God variety, can be a very positive thing. Fear tells you that there are things beyond your control that can affect you negatively. I have sometimes have a fear of falling. It's inconvenient when I need to work on top of a ladder, but that fear also keeps me from doing fool-hardy stunts unnecessarily.

Getting back to fear = respect, it is the kind of respect one may have for the judge when one is before the judge and your guilt is known. The fact that Christ paid the penalty does not allow you to pretend that it doesn't matter. In fact if you complacently expect forgiveness then you probably haven't repented.

It is not sinful to be weak. Fear may just be a straightforward assessment that you are inadequate. In ourselves, we are all inadequate.

What I am talking about is the use of instructions for introspective spiritual self assessment to condem others.

Or, being more concerned with the mote in your brothers eye while being blinded by the beam in yours.

A few posts ago, I alluded to the fear of the Lord. The response was fear = respect. While I do understand better now than I did when I was a new Christian and I have come a fuller understanding, it may be interesting to delve into that, especially in this forum where many members draw broad and firm instruction based on the word choice in the original text.

"Fear of the Lord" / "Fear of God" is refrained throughout His word, but "respect for God" is rare.

I do think there is a lesson here, and it also sheds light on whether fear, in general, is sin.

Fear, even other than the fear of God variety, can be a very positive thing. Fear tells you that there are things beyond your control that can affect you negatively. I have sometimes have a fear of falling. It's inconvenient when I need to work on top of a ladder, but that fear also keeps me from doing fool-hardy stunts unnecessarily.

Getting back to fear = respect, it is the kind of respect one may have for the judge when one is before the judge and your guilt is known. The fact that Christ paid the penalty does not allow you to pretend that it doesn't matter. In fact if you complacently expect forgiveness then you probably haven't repented.

It is not sinful to be weak. Fear may just be a straightforward assessment that you are inadequate. In ourselves, we are all inadequate.
Fear in this case would mean immaturity, lack of completeness...imperfection.
So, in that case let's refer back to 1 John 4:18 "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love."

Hello Siloam,
You have brought this up several times.......What I am talking about is the use ofinstructions for introspective spiritual self assessment to condem others. Or, being more concerned with the mote in your brothers eye while being blinded by the beam in yours.

Why ?
Blessings

I would like to know what are your beliefs on whether fear and doubt are a sin?

I can not recall anywhere in the bible that states that fear or doubt are sins. It says many times not to fear or doubt but does not call them sins. Even the attitude in the bible concerning fear and doubt doesn't seem to express that it is sin. God doesn't get angry or pronounce judgment on it. Now keep in mind I am talking about with regards to the believer.

If anyone can present a scriptural case against this please do so. I really would like to know the truth about it.
Sin is not so much an action as it is a condition of our heart. Sin manifests in a variety of ways, including fear.

But while fear can be sinful, there is also a Godly form of fear. For example, fearing the Lord after understanding how sinful you are.

Fear in this case would mean immaturity, lack of completeness...imperfection.
So, in that case let's refer back to 1 John 4:18 "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love."

Apparently, you folks read things differently than I do because I don't see Siloam's post as " fear in this case would mean immaturity"....How is that exactly? Christ gives warnings to His Apostles and His words are for all believers onward. He fears deception will catch up His followers and issues repeated warnings about false prophets, false christs..and evil. If He fears this is He sinning? And if He is secure this won't happen - WHY WARN? Those who claim they have no fears/worries/concerns, seem to be claiming they are perfect. God the Father and Christ are perfect in their love and being - they are perfect. If someone holds a knife to your throat, or a rabid dog runs at you, slavering, barking/growling....or you face evil - guarentee you will have a physical reaction of fear. It's a God given basic and primal instinct. If you survive these things, it is God alone that does the work - not you. Human beings are not equivalent to Christ. There is such a thing as unfounded fears.....but there are legitimate "fears" that serve as warnings to the individual. It is natural to fear for loved ones when they go off into dangerous situations. It is how you react to fear(s) that can cause sin. Fear is a warning. I pray, I turn to God and His Word, that's my reaction to fear. I'm human, I'm a sinner, I am imperfect, I love...Christ has atoned for my sins and makes me perfect for salvation. He doesn't make me reckless or make me think I am better than anyone else. I don't think He loves me more than you. And I am awed because He doesn't. This is unconditional love. You don't earn it and you can't lose it. You just accept it and everything else follows.

Hello Siloam,
You have brought this up several times.......What I am talking about is the use ofinstructions for introspective spiritual self assessment to condem others. Or, being more concerned with the mote in your brothers eye while being blinded by the beam in yours.

Why ?
Blessings

I guess that I am sensitive to handling the weaker brothers with compassion. (And greatfull when I receive the compassion from others). Many times we look at actions as sinful, when it is not the thing itself that is the problem. It is merely the symptom. Looking inside my self is a necessary part of my Christian growth. Judging others based on actions, even in the general case is error-prone since the state of the heart, which is where sin truely may be found, is cannot be assessed.

In the case of fear, it is really far from a trustworthy symptom. There are so many ways in which fear can be positive; and there are many more where fear can simply be an indication of being spiritually young that I truely hesitate to call it sin.

A blanket condemnation of fear as being sinful is concentrating on the lack of perfection and does little to help the fearful grow.

In general, I see little edifying in labeling behaviors as sin beyond their being indications. (Some may be fairly reliable but the sin itself lies in the heart, not in the action)

Righteousness is not simply the absence of a variety of defined sins. It is replacing sin with trust in the Lord.

When looking into one's own heart, fear can help find the source of problems and aid in the diagnosis and determine treatment, (to extend the symptom metaphor).

Please excuse formatting and other posting problems. I am away from home and getting my tablet to perform editing operations is difficult. I guess I am fearful that I will be unintelligible.

Back