Is Everyone To Preach The Gospel? Or Only Teachers Or Pastors Or Evangelists...?

I like to think myself to be a linear thinker, premise* to conclusion thinker…..

*and I have faith on the premise , so kindly quote a bible verse : )

Hello aha, this is my first comment on this forum so I hope I'm doing it correctly? Your question "is everyone to preach the gospel?". There's no doubt that we can all, to the measure of faith which we've been given, preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and share our own personal testimony with those around us. I would hope that any Christian Pastor would adequately encourage the assembly to do so however, most would need a measure of real teaching on the subject of sharing their faith, so as to have a good result when they do. There's no doubt though, there are those individuals who are truly gifted and anointed to preach the gospel, who God uses to truly reach the lost and win souls to Christ but, many of us shouldn't compare ourselves to them. Hope this adds to the conversation....blessings....

Hello aha, this is my first comment on this forum so I hope I'm doing it correctly? Your question "is everyone to preach the gospel?". There's no doubt that we can all, to the measure of faith which we've been given, preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and share our own personal testimony with those around us. I would hope that any Christian Pastor would adequately encourage the assembly to do so however, most would need a measure of real teaching on the subject of sharing their faith, so as to have a good result when they do. There's no doubt though, there are those individuals who are truly gifted and anointed to preach the gospel, who God uses to truly reach the lost and win souls to Christ but, many of us shouldn't compare ourselves to them. Hope this adds to the conversation....blessings....
Hi Christianbacktobasics,

The only teaching one needs is the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. If someone is saved they know, believe, and have faith in the gospel. Going by one teaching can cause a believer to block doing something that God wants them to do by His Spirit because they are trying to adhere to one way. If you really desire to spread the gospel, the Holy Spirit will guide and teach you and even give you the words to say that will be most meaningful to the particular person or people that you are speaking with at that time. Have faith in God's guidance and direction and he will give it to you.

Hi Christianbacktobasics,

The only teaching one needs is the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. If someone is saved they know, believe, and have faith in the gospel. Going by one teaching can cause a believer to block doing something that God wants them to do by His Spirit because they are trying to adhere to one way. If you really desire to spread the gospel, the Holy Spirit will guide and teach you and even give you the words to say that will be most meaningful to the particular person or people that you are speaking with at that time. Have faith in God's guidance and direction and he will give it to you.

While I respect your opinion on the subject I do find that when you have Christians of all ages and backgrounds to Pastor, all at various stages of their walk with Christ, some need more teaching and instruction that others to step forward into sharing their faith. Being led by the Spirit like you said might be okay for you and me being experienced but there are others who require more instruction. Walking in the Spirit needs to go hand in hand with one's basic knowledge of God's Word to confirm and clarify the will of God in a persons life and maturity can only come with time with the Spirit of God transforming a Christian. A broader view needs to be taken on a subject like this as to not do more damage than good. God bless and thanks for your comments.

One universal scriptural truth, the Holy Spirit would never contradict the word, will or nature of God and when walking in the spirit one must test the spirits to see if they be of God as to not fall into errors....

While I respect your opinion on the subject I do find that when you have Christians of all ages and backgrounds to Pastor, all at various stages of their walk with Christ, some need more teaching and instruction that others to step forward into sharing their faith. Being led by the Spirit like you said might be okay for you and me being experienced but there are others who require more instruction. Walking in the Spirit needs to go hand in hand with one's basic knowledge of God's Word to confirm and clarify the will of God in a persons life and maturity can only come with time with the Spirit of God transforming a Christian. A broader view needs to be taken on a subject like this as to not do more damage than good. God bless and thanks for your comments.

One universal scriptural truth, the Holy Spirit would never contradict the word, will or nature of God and when walking in the spirit one must test the spirits to see if they be of God as to not fall into errors....

2 Peter 3:18
But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

1 Peter 2
2 Rid yourselves, therefore, of all malice, and all guile, insincerity, envy, and all slander. 2 Like newborn infants, long for the pure, spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow into salvation— 3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.

i agree some need like babies to be nurtured and with patience to be taught so they can mature in their faith, love and the Word of our Lord , for not all are born with the Holy Spirit in them and just because they believe does not mean they are mature in the Word of God.

What is the sacrifice or what are they dedicating to God to become the mouthpiece to our Lord Jesus...? Is that completed course with which they get a degree their license of practice in the Lord's ministry ( i googled and saw that one can even become a pastor with an online degree ), and is that all they give up to be a leader of our Lord's gospel ...?
There are quite a few cases where people studied scripture not wanting to be converted but were. I don't believe anyone who gets a theology degree (even online) is a lost case. The Holy Spirit has 'a lot' to work with. We leave these solo preachers in our prayers and always remember Mark 9:40 for whoever is not against us is for us. And Acts 5:38 Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail.

The onus is on us to find a place where we can grow. Some people just don't want to know more / come under sound instruction 2 Tim 4:3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

Paul made a statement that hits the nail on the head too in 1 Cor 2:2 For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.

It is true that when a believer is walking in God's Spirit, others often know they are a believer before anything is even said.
They really do watch us, and they will come to us if they perceive what we have is real. I like to say true faith can never be imposed upon others, its like falling in love...

I like to think myself to be a linear thinker, premise* to conclusion thinker…..

*and I have faith on the premise , so kindly quote a bible verse : )
Another verse I want to give you has Jesus speaking, "Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters." This shows that Jesus expects everyone to be gathering the lost.

Thanks all for the answers.....

I got the idea now on bible verses quoted similar to as “ do unto others what you want others do to you”…..

This is on the basis that what is the righteous to “do unto others” resides with divinely knowledge of what is righteous….

.... Every believers main goal in life should be spreading the good news. If you know someone could be damned for eternity, how can you not do so? Christ puts love in the believers heart that causes an overwhelming desire in them to see people saved.

Ezekiel 3:18 says, "When I say to a wicked person, 'You will surely die,' and you do not warn them or speak out to dissuade them from their evil ways in order to save their life, that wicked person will die for their sin, and I will hold you accountable for their blood."

Although one reason I asked is as example on the bible quoted by Olivia ( hope you don’t mind it is the example I took : )
more so that the word “accountable” caught my attention

Is this verse applies to every Christian? Or this applies only to Ezekiel?

It is my understanding that this verse has to apply only to Ezekiel....?

Thanks all for the answers.....

I got the idea now on bible verses quoted similar to as “ do unto others what you want others do to you”…..

This is on the basis that what is the righteous to “do unto others” resides with divinely knowledge of what is righteous….

Although one reason I asked is as example on the bible quoted by Olivia ( hope you don’t mind it is the example I took : )
more so that the word “accountable” caught my attention

Is this verse applies to every Christian? Or this applies only to Ezekiel?

It is my understanding that this verse has to apply only to Ezekiel....?

That is why I quoted Paul saying, "Paul references the Ezekiel verse in Acts 20. verses 20:25-27 saying, 'And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more. 26Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men. 27For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.'" I knew that could be a question you wondered, so I wanted you to know that being free of the blood of men didn't apply only to Ezekiel. However, the verse I gave you with Jesus speaking is evident that he is speaking to everyone.

Jesus speaking, "Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters" (Matt 12:30). If you are not gathering (gathering means preaching the gospel to gather people for God's kingdom) you are not seen as not doing anything for saving the lost, but actually as worse, that is as scattering the lost. Again Matthew 9:37-38 depicts this, "Then he said to his disciples, 'The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. 38 Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.' because Jesus there is talking about gathering a harvest (that harvest is gathering people [spreading the message of salvation]).

The best verse I can think of to answer your question however, is Matt 12:30 because the whoever means everyone, not just certain ones.

That is why I quoted Paul saying, "Paul references the Ezekiel verse in Acts 20. verses 20:25-27 saying, 'And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more. 26Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men. 27For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.'" I knew that could be a question you wondered, so I wanted you to know that being free of the blood of men didn't apply only to Ezekiel. However, the verse I gave you with Jesus speaking is evident that he is speaking to everyone.

Jesus speaking, "Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters" (Matt 12:30). If you are not gathering (gathering means preaching the gospel to gather people for God's kingdom) you are not seen as not doing anything for saving the lost, but actually as worse, that is as scattering the lost. Again Matthew 9:37-38 depicts this, "Then he said to his disciples, 'The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. 38 Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.' because Jesus there is talking about gathering a harvest (that harvest is gathering people [spreading the message of salvation]).

The best verse I can think of to answer your question however, is Matt 12:30 because the whoever means everyone, not just certain ones.
Sorry for the sloppy writing. It should have said, That is why I said, "Paul references..."

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

We SHALL be witnesses once we receive the Holy Ghost; not optional.

2 Peter 3:18
But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

1 Peter 2
2 Rid yourselves, therefore, of all malice, and all guile, insincerity, envy, and all slander. 2 Like newborn infants, long for the pure, spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow into salvation— 3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.

i agree some need like babies to be nurtured and with patience to be taught so they can mature in their faith, love and the Word of our Lord , for not all are born with the Holy Spirit in them and just because they believe does not mean they are mature in the Word of God.

God bless you. Yes I find as a Pastor that you have individuals of all different levels of understanding and the balance is not to put too much pressure on but at the same time encourage that we share the gospel. God either gives an individual great opportunities to witness and for others not so much. Balance must be the key I believe, I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone in earshot feeling condemned because they struggle to witness. Bless you....

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

We SHALL be witnesses once we receive the Holy Ghost; not optional.
I believe one truth you need to bear in mind was that before Jesus said those things, he'd already trained his Apostles for three and half years and spent 40 days teaching them the things of the Kingdom, they weren't going out un-equipped...

We have the same teaching, through the apostles writings; and we have the same power if we have been baptized with the Spirit (there's the key).

Your statement is basically correct however, every Christian grows at different rates and different levels from many backgrounds and many needs. It takes true teaching and true shepherding to bring Christians forward, even to bring them to that place to receive the baptism of his Spirit. I've seen individuals be baptized in the spirit at the moment of conversion and others months down the line, some receive it by themselves and other times I've had to lay hands on them to receive. Even with the baptism of the spirit, a Christian needs taught clear doctrine so that they might have a sure foundation in which to operate, just like the Apostles..

It is my understanding that this verse has to apply only to Ezekiel....
I can be wrong of course, but that how I see it as describe in the OP....

I believe one truth you need to bear in mind was that before Jesus said those things, he'd already trained his Apostles for three and half years and spent 40 days teaching them the things of the Kingdom, they weren't going out un-equipped...

Both you and Lyle Savant are correct: We shall be witnesses, but we need to first be disciples in or to witness more effectivre.

It is my understanding that this verse has to apply only to Ezekiel....
I can be wrong of course, but that how I see it as describe in the OP....

Both you and Lyle Savant are correct: We shall be witnesses, but we need to first be disciples in or to witness more effectivre.

Although this was stated to Ezekiel and directed toward him, my point was to note that Paul said the same thing when he said that he was innocent of all men's blood. Someone could say that Paul was individually given the same command as Ezekiel, but I believe Paul was using Ezekiel when he made his statement which would then identify all of us who are believers with the statement because all of us are commanded to tell the gospel. Someone could argue that Acts 1:8 was for the apostles only, but Matthew 12:30 is clearly for everyone since Jesus said it as whosoever. Matthew 12:30- "Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters."

Matt. 28:18-19 __ "All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth; go you therefore and teach (make disciples of) all nations, baptizing them...";
Mark 16:15-16 __ "Go you into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believes and is baptized shall be saved."

The apostles indeed preached the gospel to all nation: first, to the nations that were known at that time; second, the gospel they learned of the Lord Jesus and preached, has been able to reach the believers in all nations through the Church!

Matt. 28:18-19 __ "All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth; go you therefore and teach (make disciples of) all nations, baptizing them...";
Mark 16:15-16 __ "Go you into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believes and is baptized shall be saved."

The apostles indeed preached the gospel to all nation: first, to the nations that were known at that time; second, the gospel they learned of the Lord Jesus and preached, has been able to reach the believers in all nations through the Church!
I am not sure of why you have the exclamation point. I am saying that it is the responsibility of all believers to spread the gospel. What do you not understand in my writing.

God bless you. Yes I find as a Pastor that you have individuals of all different levels of understanding and the balance is not to put too much pressure on but at the same time encourage that we share the gospel. God either gives an individual great opportunities to witness and for others not so much. Balance must be the key I believe, I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone in earshot feeling condemned because they struggle to witness. Bless you....

indeed .. not all are given the same gifts/blessings (talents in Jesus' parable) to start with .. as the HS gives to each according to their abilities .. to those who are faithful in using/investing the gifts/blessings (talents in Jesus' parable) to those He gives more ..
but it is important not to NOT use/invest what the master gives you, or He will regard you as useless (as in the parable) .. so IF you do NOT get out there .. that says very clearly you do NOT love God with your ALL, or neighbor as self to bring them the Good News (Gospel) of God's love of salvation ..

if you are NOT given the opportunities as you say, that is because you are not working but sitting down .. pray "Increase my Faith" .. for Faith is Trust, and Trust is Love .. and it IS by Love that we get up daily and bear His cross with Him .. indeed .. I encourage ALL to get busy before He returns ..

if they do feel condemned because they may struggle to witness (and you are aware of that) then you ARE responsible for not giving them the benefit of skills you may have received or learned .. as a pastor, your remark surprises me .. is that not what a pastor is suppose to be doing ???

God Bless you ..

Last edited:
Back