Interesting Point

Dusty

Inactive
Interesting Point

Luke 17:14-17

14When he saw them, he said, "Go, show yourselves to the priests." And as they went, they were cleansed.
15One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. 16He threw himself at Jesus' feet and thanked him—and he was a Samaritan. 17Jesus asked, "Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine?

Did you ever think and wonder ;.... Why did Jesus say to the ten " Go show yourselves to the priests? Why not go and be healed and then go show your selves to the priests. ?

Very interesting point that Jesus did not touch them , did not breath on them or annoint them with oil or say you are healed your faith has made you whole . Or go and wash in a pool .

Instead he told the lepers to get moving ( my words ) . Go to the priest who can declare you whole .... Take action .

Hmmm - As they walked in faith and took action they were healed along the way . Can you imagine the talk ? All of a sudden they're like " Hey check me out - I'm whole , no deformities , skin like a baby's bottom .... Wooo - Hooo . !!!

The sad part of this story is how many of the lepers returned to give the Healer thanks ? And the only one was a Samaritan who was supposedly an enemy of the Jews.

My wonder goes a little further in this story , thinking , if maybe the others healing remained because they had not given thanks but we will never know .

So give thanks with a grateful heart.

Jesus fulfills the law of the leper.

The Father left Jesus on the cross, the leper shaves his head, removes his covering.
The leper covers his upper lip. This is done when you pray and do not get an answer. Jesus asked to have the cup removed.
The leper is kept outside the camp and Christ was taken outside the camp.
When the leper is completely covered with leprosy, he is declared clean. When Jesus was completely covered with our sin He conquered it and was clean.
The cleansed leper goes through a ceremony like the priesthood ordination. Jesus, was made the high priest.

It is unlikely the priest had ever actually seen a leper cleansed so Jesus was highlighting his own ministry by having them go to the priests.

Jesus fulfills the law of the leper.

The Father left Jesus on the cross, the leper shaves his head, removes his covering.
The leper covers his upper lip. This is done when you pray and do not get an answer. Jesus asked to have the cup removed.
The leper is kept outside the camp and Christ was taken outside the camp.
When the leper is completely covered with leprosy, he is declared clean. When Jesus was completely covered with our sin He conquered it and was clean.
The cleansed leper goes through a ceremony like the priesthood ordination. Jesus, was made the high priest.

It is unlikely the priest had ever actually seen a leper cleansed so Jesus was highlighting his own ministry by having them go to the priests.

Thank you for that . Now I understand better. God Bless.

So give thanks with a grateful heart.

Amen.

What is interesting to me is that the leper disobeyed Christ. He was suppose to go to the priest but instead he went to Christ.

Meaning, giving thanks is more important. And that what is Christ is looking for.

I think its best to over thank God than under thank Him...
So I pretty much thank Him for everything good :)
EDIT: It just crossed my mind that its probably totally impossible to over thank Him, when you consider that He has preserved His word and there is Word for pretty much anything you will come across in life....
So He is always there, not only with us but in His word...
Yeah I would I have to say that its impossible to over thank, so ignore the top, just thank for everything good, because its God anyway, hmmm.

Eph 5:20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

If our goal is to put off the old man and put on the new, and tribulation helps us do that, then we can receive all the 'bad' stuff as gifts from God with thanksgiving.

Ro 5:3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

I think its best to over thank God than under thank Him...
So I pretty much thank Him for everything good :)
EDIT: It just crossed my mind that its probably totally impossible to over thank Him, when you consider that He has preserved His word and there is Word for pretty much anything you will come across in life....
So He is always there, not only with us but in His word...
Yeah I would I have to say that its impossible to over thank, so ignore the top, just thank for everything good, because its God anyway, hmmm.

Hey I agree with you but the everythiong good . Even in the bad times we are to praise and thank Him .... In all things give thanks .... If we have a thankful heart , it spills out on others and they cannot help but be thank ful also .

I guess my pet peave is people who just go along expecting God to bless them and never giving Him the honour that He deserves. If we have hearts overflowing with love for our Saviour , it just comes so naturally that you just want to praise Him . At least thsat is the way I see it anyways .

That is an interesting thought John .
What is interesting to me is that the leper disobeyed Christ. He was suppose to go to the priest but instead he went to Christ.

The Bible does not tell us , he did not go to the priest first.

Eph 5:20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

If our goal is to put off the old man and put on the new, and tribulation helps us do that, then we can receive all the 'bad' stuff as gifts from God with thanksgiving.

Ro 5:3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Exactly .... We are told to praise Him in and the good and bad times . If we do not priase Him in the good ... How can we expect to do it in the bad.? Praise and thankfulness are a daily part of our walk . I believe that thankfulness and praise go hand in hand.

The Bible does not tell us , he did not go to the priest first.
And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed
And one of them, when he saw that he was healed,
turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God
Luke 17:14-15
:)

Hmmm ... my version says came back which I assumed meant he came back after he showed himself to the priest . Oh well we don't really know for sure but we do know that he was the only one of the 10 who thanked Jesus .Which when we think about it is the important part of the story . We need to thank Jesus all the time what ever situation we are in .

I think the difference here is . 9 went to go follow the law out of obligation to the earthly priests in the earthen temple . but the 1 came and gave thanks to the spiritual High Priest who is the temple of the Father from a cheerful heart .

this may be the difference between worshipping in spirit and in truth .. and Cain's way .

I think the difference here is . 9 went to go follow the law out of obligation to the earthly priests in the earthen temple . but the 1 came and gave thanks to the spiritual High Priest who is the temple of the Father from a cheerful heart .

this may be the difference between worshipping in spirit and in truth .. and Cain's way .

Nice .... I like it .

Even today sometimes people are glad you did something for them but they don't care about you or thank you. That's ungrateful at the least. That was the difference in the children of Israel and Moses. They knew God's acts, but Moses knew HIM.

In sensus plenior 1000 = king, 100 = church, the tithe belonging to the king. Here we see the tithe returning to the king as one returns to give thanks. He is the church of mixed lineage (from all nations).

Also in sensus plenior Jesus is portrayed as the sickly priest until after the resurrection. This is because he was ineffectual as a priest in the flesh and had to die to become the High Priest. The indication that he is the ineffectual priest in this passage is his deference to the priests of the temple.

Hmm not sure about the ineffectual part as Jesus did say "the son of man has the power on earth to forgive sins" or what is the role of priest you were referring to?

In the parables it is the King who forgives debt, not the priest. The priests offer sacrifice.
In the flesh he could not be a priest since he was from the wrong tribe. Jesus was king as Matthews genealogy testifies, and also as proclaimed by Pilate.

Only after the sacrifice of himself could he act as intermediary between man and God as High priest, according to Hebrews.

Hence the ineffectual priest. Even his offers of forgiveness were promises of forgiveness to be consummated at the cross, for without the shedding of blood there can be no forgiveness of sin.

Remember it is not an indictment against Christ. It is a riddle which says "In what way was Christ an ineffectual or sickly priest? The answer is that he was not a priest until his death according to Hebrews.

Back