In God We Trust

Gen 3:1 Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said to the woman, "Indeed, has God said, 'You shall not eat from any tree of the garden'?"
Gen 3:2 The woman said to the serpent, "From the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat;
Gen 3:3 but from the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God has said, 'You shall not eat from it or touch it, or you will die.'"
Gen 3:4 The serpent said to the woman, "You surely will not die!
Gen 3:5 "For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."
Gen 3:6 When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate.

In God We Trust

Do We?

In the 1950s the United States made the four words, “In God we trust,” our national motto. Since this nation was given birth by a group of so called Religious English Rebels, the motto would seem to fit but does it? I was just eleven years old in 1956 and do not recall this becoming our motto but there seems to have been the feeling of need at that time... we had traversed history for a hundred and eighty years trusting in our Creator, God, and suddenly we need to proclaim it to the world?

When we were forced into WWII the Japanese commanded the Pacific Ocean and the Germans, under Hitler, commanded the Atlantic. Our Navy was out numbered by the Japanese before they attacked at Pearl and the German U-Boats harried the greatest naval oriented nation to ever exist on the face of the earth, Great Britain. The Germans were sinking ships on our Atlantic Coast and the Japs had ruined our Pacific Force in one swift and secret attack.

I grew up an Atheist, wondering what all the hullabaloo was all about. In the fifties people spoke of God as if He were there, that very instant, and I did not understand. When I went to the Vietnam Conflict I was exposed to God by Special Revelation as I stood there, in the middle of the dirty company street cursing the God, I swore, not to believe in. Then, quite clearly, God said to me, “Why curse Me, you don't even believe!” Seven words, that's all my LORD has ever spoken, directly, to me but those words affect everything I have done since November of 1966. My Faith in God has grown stronger every day, every minute, since that time.

In verses one and two we see that the Word of God is trustworthy and true. Adam and Eve were young, in love and ate freely from the trees God had created, they lacked for nothing! God had their every “need” covered and then the lust for more creped in. When I was in the Army, I had food, clothing, a warm bed, I had all that I needed. But I lusted! I lusted for a car and a motorcycle. I had no place to keep them but I bought them anyway, making about a hundred-thirteen a month. I wanted, lusted, to be more than God had created me to be and that is the condition of the people of this world.

In verse two through 5 we see that, though the Word of God is true, we belittle it. This is the most common issue in the Christian's life today. Satan only inserted one extra word into what God had said, instead of “you shall surely die” he rendered it, “you shall surely not die.” Now, remember, they did not have the completed Word of God, but we do! And still, we are, all of us, guilty of not reading it!

When men reads the Word, it affects their lives. When men do not faithfully read the Word, men like Jim Jones have Christians drinking poison Kool-Aid. By gently bending the Word of God men like David Koresh, the Waco Wacko, convinces good people to sit still, hold their babies and burn to death as he sets the fire. If we think so little of the recorded Word of God that we have no time to read it, we will never know what it says and we are, with skillful manipulation liable to fall for anything. Many German people believed Hitler was introducing the Millennial Reign and if you think about it... that makes him the Christ? They went for it.

In verse 6 we learn that though the Word is authoritative, we disobey it. There is a command in the Bible to love your neighbor as yourself. How are you doing with that? That simple, little, command covers every moment of your life. If a stranger is firing a gun at a woman across the street, do you stand there and watch or do you go take the gun away? When you know Frank's wife has become involved with Charlie, the car junkie, are you quiet or do you take Frank out for coffee and tell him what you know? When you go to the polls this November, will you vote for the most popular, even though he supports homosexuality and the murder of unborn and new born babies or will you vote for the guy whose religion is false but has enough Godly principal to abhor such behavior?

You see. Christianity is not a shirt you put on Sunday Morning and take of after Church. No, Christianity is a life-style! Every single action we take or do not take must e to the Glory of God if we are a follower of the Most Holy God... even the color of our socks!

Back