Immaculate Conception

Status
Not open for further replies.
Major, EXCELLENT verses that point to Christ being our one and only savior. Though they don't address Sola Scriptura

Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

The only "good" "traditions" were spelled out to Timothy by the Apostle Paul.

2Th 2:15= So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter.

In other words, do not believe anything except what I have written to you by my own hand, or what I have spoken to you face to face.

Last edited:
The bible was inspired by God, right? So, not believing the bible is not believing God. If the bible is man-made only, then everything we believe in is a lie, and the martyrs for Christ suffered and died in vain.

Okay, what traditions are you guys talking about? There's the tradition in the old testament (laws of Moses, though God gave him those laws) and the new testament traditions (water baptism, washing of feet and communion) I don't know all of them.

Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Another good verse, but also says nothing on Sola Scriptura -- though it does address traditions of man.

I know but I was address the post that stated..... "verses that show the Bible's exclusivity".

They were the first ones that came to my mind...(what there is left of it).

But I can do that if you like.

1 Cor 4:6: Jesus said, "upon this rock I will build My church" and Paul warned: "in building the church, do not exceed scripture!"

Luke 1:1-4: Luke begins by mentioning uninspired gospels by Christians, then the oral tradition of the apostles and concludes that scripture alone will allow Theophilus to know for certain what the truth is.

Matthew 4:1-11. Three times Jesus was tempted by the Devil and each time Jesus replied exactly the same three dangerous words that defeated the Devil: "IT IS WRITTEN" Read it for yourself! If any one could have used oral tradition, it was Jesus, yet he chose the only safe and sure way to defeat Satan: Scripture.
There is a problem of course. First Corinthians was written before both Luke and Mathew, and Paul presumably spoke of the scripture the church already had. It was certainly not clear that the Gospels were scripture, and it required the early Church to determine which books were and which weren't. In that case, the Bible is too a product of tradition, as these are the books we "traditionally" accept as canonical.

I know but I was address the post that stated..... "verses that show the Bible's exclusivity".

They were the first ones that came to my mind...(what there is left of it).

But I can do that if you like.

1 Cor 4:6: Jesus said, "upon this rock I will build My church" and Paul warned: "in building the church, do not exceed scripture!"

Luke 1:1-4: Luke begins by mentioning uninspired gospels by Christians, then the oral tradition of the apostles and concludes that scripture alone will allow Theophilus to know for certain what the truth is.

Matthew 4:1-11. Three times Jesus was tempted by the Devil and each time Jesus replied exactly the same three dangerous words that defeated the Devil: "IT IS WRITTEN" Read it for yourself! If any one could have used oral tradition, it was Jesus, yet he chose the only safe and sure way to defeat Satan: Scripture.

All great passages, and they all support the importance of Scripture and that they are all valid...but none of them support Sola Scriptura. Opposing Sola Scriptura doesn't mean opposing Scripture itself. I consider myself a devout Bible Christian in fact.

The bible was inspired by God, right? So, not believing the bible is not believing God. If the bible is man-made only, then everything we believe in is a lie, and the martyrs for Christ suffered and died in vain.

Okay, what traditions are you guys talking about? There's the tradition in the old testament (laws of Moses, though God gave him those laws) and the new testament traditions (water baptism, washing of feet and communion) I don't know all of them.
I don't think anyone is arguing that the Bible should not be believed in. However, understand the Catholic perspective is that the Bible and the consensus of Catholic Bishops both constitute the word of God. Bishops are, in their view, successors of the apostles.

All great passages, and they all support the importance of Scripture and that they are all valid...but none of them support Sola Scriptura. Opposing Sola Scriptura doesn't mean opposing Scripture itself. I consider myself a devout Bible Christian in fact.
How about this one.

2Jn 1:9 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
2Jn 1:10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not take them into your house or welcome them.

How about this one.

2Jn 1:9 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
2Jn 1:10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not take them into your house or welcome them.

Nope -- these don't point to the Scripture as exclusive. Teaching of Christ being the only true teaching? Absolutely! Sola Scriptura? These passages don't say it.

Nope -- these don't point to the Scripture as exclusive. Teaching of Christ being the only true teaching? Absolutely! Sola Scriptura? These passages don't say it.
OK, How about these......Let me know when we get to the right one.

Deu 4:2= Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Pro 30:6= Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

Rev 22:18= For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Rev 22:19= And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Mat 4:4= But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

2Ti 3:16= All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 = that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

Let's save time and just cut to the chase, there is no scripture that supports sola scriptura.
As fond as many are of the notion, it has no Biblical support.

Especially when you note that the Epistle of John states plainly that they wrote down very little of what Christ had to say.

OK, How about these......Let me know when we get to the right one.

Deu 4:2= Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Pro 30:6= Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

Rev 22:18= For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Rev 22:19= And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Mat 4:4= But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

2Ti 3:16= All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 = that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

Glomung is right, CCW. I think you (and/or others) have already tried passing some of these verses as supporting Sola Scriptura in about 9 other threads, but they don't. They support the importance of Scripture, that all of Scripture is God-breathed, and that Scripture cannot be altered and must be obeyed, but they don't say anything about Sola Scriptura.

When we say Sola Scriptura has nothing to do with the importance of Scripture, the altering of Scripture, or anything of that nature. It means literally "The Scriptures alone."

There is no verse that supports it.

Glomung is right, CCW. I think you (and/or others) have already tried passing some of these verses as supporting Sola Scriptura in about 9 other threads, but they don't. They support the importance of Scripture, that all of Scripture is God-breathed, and that Scripture cannot be altered and must be obeyed, but they don't say anything about Sola Scriptura.

When we say Sola Scriptura has nothing to do with the importance of Scripture, the altering of Scripture, or anything of that nature. It means literally "The Scriptures alone."

There is no verse that supports it.

Sola Scriptura
The Concise Oxford Dictionary of World Religions | 1997| JOHN BOWKER | 426 words | Copyright
Sola Scriptura (Lat., ‘by scripture alone’). The belief that the truths of Christian faith and practice can and must be established from scripture alone

This is Sola Scriptura

Mat 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

Sola Scriptura
The Concise Oxford Dictionary of World Religions | 1997| JOHN BOWKER | 426 words | Copyright
Sola Scriptura (Lat., ‘by scripture alone’). The belief that the truths of Christian faith and practice can and must be established from scripture alone

This is Sola Scriptura

Yep, this is Sola Scriptura.

Mat 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

You said these already. Where in these verses do they support Sola Scriptura?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back