1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

I'm a Christian, My Husband Isn't

Discussion in 'Marriage and Relationships' started by Lindseyn86, Apr 1, 2015.

1. I recently became a Christian (still really new, looking for a church/fellowship), but my husband is not. He is totally against the idea of God, religion in general (not just Christianity), and anything of the like. He is such a good person though. He has great moral values (many of them very God-like) and he has a heart of gold. He just doesn't believe there is a higher power in any aspect.
    I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to deal with this? He knows that I am Christian and he respects that, but he refuses to join me in anything such as reading the Bible, praying, etc. He also doesn't feel that we should raise our children in a Christian lifestyle. I'm not really sure what to do. I've prayed about it and will continue to do so in hopes that he comes to Jesus, but until then, how do I deal with the situation? I love my husband and would never, ever think of leaving him, but with this huge difference now, I'm at a loss for how to handle even the smallest things.
    Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

2. I'll be totally honest---honest! You were an unbeliever when you married, so you were not disobeying God in marrying your husband, so that tells me that God has had His hand on you, and that you are the first to respond to His call. You are now the spiritual leader in your home, and your example will be used by God to bring your husband to Him. God desires for you both to become a shining light for Him. So, be confident that your husband is going to receive Jesus, but when is unknown. This understanding alone can help assuage any anxiety in you about this.

You will be up against much resistance if you expect your husband to share your love for God and your practices in serving and adoring Him. Just allow your life to be lived before him. Most unsaved men who have believing wives are so impressed and enamored with the "new" wives that emerge when they begin to live the consistent life of love and acceptance that Jesus has called them to, that they eventually see the truth of the presence of Jesus Christ in them, and come to Christ themselves!

I am sure your husband will relent and allow your children to come to church with you once the kids know how much they would enjoy it and speak up. No pressure is required on your part---just the steady influence of patience, knowing that God has a plan for your husband, just as He had a plan for you. Keep on being faithful to God, praying for your husband, maybe introducing him to new Christian friends at a social gathering, occasionally may all work together to show Him the reality of Jesus Christ and the solid transformation that comes with having a relationship with Him.

God bless you!

eric m williams, CCW95A and JG27_chili says Amen and like this.
  3. I have some advice should you be interested.
    God has an order for us in marriage and family. He says wifes submit to your husband...
    Now I know being told of women who did so to their unbelieving husbands, even ones who would refuse their wives to attend church, and yet, by their listening to God and maintaining His set order, their husbands ended up with Christ Jesus.
    At our church we have an area called "kuier" after Sunday church.
    We once shared a table with a couple that had a new born baby, but they are very new to this church, like maybe a month or two.
    I noticed that the husband was more interested in his cell phone and facebook that to mingle and talk or be friendly towards others. I found it strange.
    But his wife was way into the Lord, like raising her hands towards heaven during worship, and prayerfully worshiping our Lord Jesus.
    Very recently at an alter call, he walked forward and gave his life to Christ.
    A submissive wife in the sense of the Word in my opinion is the strongest thing on this planet.

4. In scripture, submissive means respectful.

5. Ephesians 5:22-33
    Feel free to read/search for your self and meditate on it.

6. I have read it hundreds of times and meditated and studied much on it over many, many years, thank you, Arrie!

7. I agree with Arrie. A Godly woman submits herself to her husband. Your unsaved husband is your cross that God does most certainly want you to carry.

Euphemia also hit the nail on the head. By you drawing closer to Jesus, he will either accept this light or reject it. Just make sure it is light and not ''I am better then you arrogance''.

Scripture is crystal clear in 1 Cor 7:10-17 To the married I give this command: A wife must not separate from her husband. 11 But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife. 12 To the rest I say this If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. 15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. 16 How do you know, wife, whether you will your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife? 17 Nevertheless, each person should live as a believer in whatever situation the Lord has assigned to them, just as God has called them. This is the rule I lay down in all the churches.

8. Woman was made for man, but man does not exist without women, for he is born of women. The wife is be her husbands "help meet". You together stand side by side. One is not better than the other. The man is suppose to be the head of the family in protecting it from not only physical enemies, but also spiritual enemies. Since your husband is not a believer (yet) it will upon you to pray for your family, to protect it from enemies unseen to your husband. Just let the love of Christ in you to flow out to your husband. Remember lover never fails

1Pe 3:1 Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives,
    1Pe 3:2 when they see your respectful and pure conduct.
    1Pe 3:3 Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear—
    1Pe 3:4 but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.
    1Pe 3:5 For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands,

KingJ and Euphemia say Amen and like this.
  9. This is probably going to be extremely tough.. I grew up in a house just like yours! though I come from a different region of world and different culture, marriage is still made of husband and wife all over the world :) My dad to this day is unsaved. he is hindu.. My mom got saved after marriage. All the fights between my and dad were always around my mom's religion and how the kids are being brought up.. I have 2 elders brothers.. We all serve the Lord.. We all are praying together for my dad's salvation.. We all have faith that Lord would answer all the tears shed.. We are just waiting for the day my dad would accept Jesus as his Lord..
    Never give up.. That would be the simplest advice.. My mom has not given up for so many years now. For around 40 years now.. She still loves my dad so much..

Remember, every tear shed at the feet of Lord is counted for.. He never ignores our pleas and prayers.. When we ask for things in His will, he is always happy! A person getting saved is "always" His will. So continue to pray and never give up. Differences and arguments will come.. Do the right thing..

KingJ likes this.
  10. Hello Lindseyn86.
    Maybe this post might help, see...
    http://www.christianforumsite.com/posts/401623/
    post # 13.