If Only The Momma's and the Poppa's Could See LA Now...

A video I encountered today of the group singing acapella in the sound attached to the video for California Dreamin is based on these silly lyrics:

All the leaves are brown (all the leaves are brown)
And the sky is grey (and the sky is grey)
I've been for a walk (I've been for a walk)
On a winter's day (on a winter's day)
I'd be safe and warm (I'd be safe and warm)
If I was in L.A. (if I was in L.A.)
California dreamin' (California dreamin')
On such a winter's day

Stopped into a church
I passed along the way
Well, I got down on my knees (got down on my knees)
And I pretend to pray (I pretend to pray)
You know the preacher liked the cold (preacher liked the cold)
He knows I'm gonna stay (knows I'm gonna stay)
On such a winter's day

All the leaves are brown (all the leaves are brown)
And the sky is grey (and the sky is grey)
I've been for a walk (I've been for a walk)
On a winter's day (on a winter's day)
If I didn't tell her (if I didn't tell her)
I could leave today (I could leave today)
On such a winter's day (California dreamin')

On such a winter's day (California dreamin')
On such a winter's day

Pretending to pray... The preacher liked the cold...

Some artists throw out such abstract nonsense that it leaves to the comprehension of the observer all manner of assumptions that miss the mark of the artist's intent. This one, however, seems to cast shadows upon the life of faith and prayer, and upon some of those who have a serious desire to serve.

See? Nothing new under the sun...

MM

Hello Musicmaster;

I am not ashamed of Jesus and am not ashamed to be prudish for Christ. This music group sold millions of records but had questionable lyrics in their songs that reached the ears of listening fans worldwide.

I felt California Dreamin was very creative song musically, but as I got older the lyrics, to me, made the song indigestible. As far as yesterday and today in LA, amen to that.

God sees the hearts even of artists and how they use their gift. Does it or does it not bring the Lord glory?

As it was revealed, this group could not generate another hit after only 3 short years. Their lifestyle during their 3 years behind the scenes brought tragic in each of their lives.

God bless you, brother and thank you for sharing.

They were basically one-hit-wonders, although they had one or two other moderately popular songs. Overall, the majority of the moldy oldie groups of the sixties and seventies, the majority were of this caliber...unfortunately.

MM

Back