I Do Have A Question

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Jesus Freak, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Hello, I would like to ask a question about something I am afraid to discuss on here as it got heated on the last forum I was on:

Can I talk about Joel Osteen, or, should I totally stay away from that subject altogether, since like I said it got heated on the last forum I was on? If you guys want me to stay away from him, and, his teachings, then I will. Just thought I would ask.

Basically people were telling me that they did not like him, or, his teachings, when all I was doing was saying I watch his live video feed on the Lakewood Church app. I don't want to get things stirred up if you don't want me to.

2. May I counsel against it.

Joel Osteen's brand of preaching does indeed lead to hate it/love it with little in between.

As is usually the case when the two sides interact, there is little light shed, but a tremendous amount of heat.

Jesus Freak likes this.
  3. So you're saying that I should not start a thread about Joel at all? If that's the case, then I won't. I want this to be the best experience that I could have on the forums. Simce you're a Staff Member, then I will abide by it if what I said is what you want me to do.

4. If your immature, then it brings a bad response. We are not suppose to put our mouth on anyone, judge them or criticize them. So the response would be according to the maturity level of the person and their relationship with the Lord. I don't even talk bad about those who preach tongues is past away, I just love them.

You can talk to me about Joel, I am mature enough to do that. I don't listen to Joel, but I know his ministry is for the new in Christ and lots of people leave once they get that foundation built up for deeper things which is fine, and how it's suppose to work. Joel's Father knew my Pastor well so our church is sort of connected.

Joel stays super positive and you don't leave any of his services feeling bad. Joel also never judges anyone which I admire, even while people are judging him. (He refused to put Muslims in Hell on Larry King and that got other believers yelping like a bunch of hens in barn during a rainstorm) Like I tell others, if you don't like the teaching, stop crying like a school girl and go listen to something else.................

What made it worse is Benny Hinn had a broadcast and just slammed Joel for his Larry King interview, I lost even more respect for Brother Hinn, considering all the fire he takes from others, then go and do the same thing to someone else.

Blessings.

Michaelh.

5. If your immature, then it brings a bad response. We are not suppose to put our mouth on anyone, judge them or criticize them. So the response would be according to the maturity level of the person and their relationship with the Lord. I don't even talk bad about those who preach tongues is past away, I just love them.

You can talk to me about Joel, I am mature enough to do that. I don't listen to Joel, but I know his ministry is for the new in Christ and lots of people leave once they get that foundation built up for deeper things which is fine, and how it's suppose to work. Joel's Father knew my Pastor well so our church is sort of connected.

Joel stays super positive and you don't leave any of his services feeling bad. Joel also never judges anyone which I admire, even while people are judging him. (He refused to put Muslims in Hell on Larry King and that got other believers yelping like a bunch of hens in barn during a rainstorm) Like I tell others, if you don't like the teaching, stop crying like a school girl and go listen to something else.................

What made it worse is Benny Hinn had a broadcast and just slammed Joel for his Larry King interview, I lost even more respect for Brother Hinn, considering all the fire he takes from others, then go and do the same thing to someone else.

Blessings.

Michaelh.

6. It's a tricky thing. I'm not a fan of Osteen, but I generally recognize that some people have definitely been helped through his ministry. Overall, I just tend to ignore him. There are definitely many, many Christians here who aren't so good at ignoring what they consider to be false teaching. Odds are, if you start a topic, it's going to lead to a LOT of animosity. We aren't forbidding it, just letting you know in advance that it will likely lead to a negative end. If THAT happens, then we might have to re-examine the situation. Just letting you know to be aware. Our goal on this site is Christian fellowship and uplifting, not debating and arguing.

7. The problem here is that it is inherently biased. You can say that it is about maturity, and I would largely agree, but it's not entirely about maturity either. If you are a person that is very passionate about your beliefs, then Osteen's style of preaching can be construed as offensive, even to a mature Christian. For those that have found hope through his teachings, an attack on those same teachings is an attack on them personally and causes their entire faith to be brought into question. At some point in the discussion, it always comes down to people trying to label each other. We are on the Internet here. It's not a place known for self-restraint.

8. Since a few of you who replied are staff members, I am not going to start the thread. I don't want to turn this forum into a hated place. I will continue liking and watching his live broadcast on my own, and, that's it.

9. We have Catholics on here, several of them in fact. Now that draws fire on lots of forums, I don't see why Joel would draw fire here. I am what would be considered "Word Of Faith" Kenneth Copeland, and my Pastor is Keith Moore who studied under Brother Hagin for 20 some years. I have gotten no fire from anyone here. Joel teaches a nice easy candy gospel, and it's good to know that God just loves you some days before turning back to the Hell and brimstone channel to get the meaty stuff.

Joel has not been busted on any doctrine, most the criticize comes from his constant God loves you and wants to bless you message, they say he does not give the full gospel or warn people of hell. So most of it is people wanting to dictate what He should teach. Joel also does not get very scripture heavy which is good for a lot of new folks.

10. I have to go back to the fact there are several Catholics here. The Mary thing and Holy Water. I am 100% against the Rosary and most Catholic teaching. However, I have found we can talk about other things without me having to mention one time about my disagreement with it. Talking about Penance now in another thread, I don't agree with how they do Penance, but I don't voice that disagreement as there is no need to do that. We can talk about Penance and get their understanding of it, while asking questions.

I don't think it's about not liking the Doctrine as Long as Jesus is the only way and the Word of God is not flawed. As I said, not one person has busted me out for my "Word of Faith" belief's and I think Joel gets labeled in that category. That tends to make me believe that we have better people on here than what we think.

11. This has not always been the most Catholic-friendly place in the Internet. It is largely because I've actively fought against Catholic persecution because it seems very unfair and un-Christlike to attack it to me. In the right environment, I would be very quick to speak up against both Catholic doctrines as well as Osteen's message. This is not the place for that.

12. Whatever you did, it seems to be good. I would rather speak against the doctrine and not the person though.

13. We went off topic. Anyway, I'm not going to post about Joel at all. Don't want to poke the bear if you all know what I mean.

14. I am surprised no ones replying to this. Glad we got this issue, yes issue resolved. Again, know I'm not going to post any Joel Osteen topics. I don't want any debating, hate, and discontent.