I Call To Him

Sunday, January 11, 2015, 6:25 a.m. – The Lord Jesus put in mind the song, “Seek the Lord.” Speak, Lord, your words to my heart. I read Psalm 119:137-157 (ESV).

His Word is Trustworthy

Tsadhe

Righteous are you, O Lord,and right are your rules.
You have appointed your testimonies in righteousnessand in all faithfulness.
My zeal consumes me,because my foes forget your words.
Your promise is well tried,and your servant loves it.
I am small and despised,yet I do not forget your precepts.
Your righteousness is righteous forever,and your law is true.
Trouble and anguish have found me out,but your commandments are my delight.
Your testimonies are righteous forever;give me understanding that I may live.

The Holy Bible of the Christian faith, although physically written by human beings, was God-breathed, i.e. the words written are the words of God, called scripture. And, they are still alive, active, and still speak to our hearts. They speak words of conviction, repentance, encouragement, correction, hope, healing, comfort, warning, judgment, salvation, victory and freedom. As well, they teach us how to live godly and holy lives, they train us in righteousness, and they equip us to walk in faithful obedience and surrender to our Lord.

In their original form, they were inerrant. I believe they have held their accuracy, for the most part, and thus are reliable. They have stood the test of time, and have proved themselves trustworthy. There are many different translations, though, and they differ in interpretation. As far as English translations go, I believe the King James Version, the New American Standard Bible, and the English Standard Version are the most reliable, although I favor the New International Version 1984 for readability, and it is sometimes more accurate in translation than the others. I do believe, if possible, that it is helpful to compare translations, although not everyone has that benefit. Biblehub.com provides multiple translations, as well as many useful Bible study helps, and it is free online.

I believe, when reading the Old Testament, that we must interpret what we read in light of the New Covenant relationship between God and his people, i.e. in light of Christ’s death and resurrection and the teachings of Christ and the apostles. Not everything in the OT still applies to our lives today, but scripture teaches it is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training us in righteousness, i.e. we can learn from the principles taught there, as applied within the context of our relationship with Jesus Christ - to those saved by grace. As well, we must always interpret scripture in light of its context. Too many false beliefs have stemmed from scripture taken out of context. It is good to read book by book and chapter by chapter. And, it is good to compare scripture with scripture, to help us correctly handle the word of truth. Yet, all is in vain unless we have the Holy Spirit speaking God’s words to our hearts, and unless we put into practice what we have been taught.

Call To Him

Qoph

With my whole heart I cry; answer me, O Lord!I will keep your statutes.
I call to you; save me,that I may observe your testimonies.
I rise before dawn and cry for help;I hope in your words.
My eyes are awake before the watches of the night,that I may meditate on your promise.
Hear my voice according to your steadfast love;O Lord, according to your justice give me life.
They draw near who persecute me with evil purpose;they are far from your law.
But you are near, O Lord,and all your commandments are true.
Long have I known from your testimoniesthat you have founded them forever.

Daily we must call upon the Lord. Yet, we don’t have to wait for some formal time of prayer or Bible reading to have a talk with him, or to listen to him speak. For the believer in Jesus Christ, we have the Holy Spirit living within us, so we are in God’s presence all the time. It is a lot like having God/Jesus right there beside us, with us in everything that we do. In fact, it would be good if we would realize that God/Jesus is right there with us when we do what we do, watch what we watch, and listen to whatever we listen to. We might stop doing some of the things we do if we would consciously think about the fact that he is right there with us all the time. We don’t ever leave his presence, and he never leaves us.

Because we have the Spirit of God living within us, we can talk with our Lord and we can hear him speaking to us all the time, throughout the day and even in our sleep. And, we should talk with him just like he is right there, much like we would talk with a friend or with our spouses. We don’t even have to close our eyes to pray. We can pray while we are cleaning house or watching kids or driving down the street or shopping in a mall or walking through a park, etc. The Lord Jesus often speaks to me through songs. I remember words better when they are put to music, so he uses scriptural songs to speak his words to my heart throughout the day. I love how I might be thinking about something, and even before I have voiced it to the Lord in prayer, I will hear a song playing through my mind, and the words will be God’s answer to my question which I may or may not have yet posed to him.

Yet, when we call upon the Lord, we must listen to what he says, and we must then put into practice what he teaches us. We must not ignore his words, and thus be like the man who looked at himself in the mirror and then walked away and forgot what he looked like. In fact, we should be like the psalmist and we should love the Word of the Lord, and welcome his teachings into our lives. His word should be our delight, especially in place of many things of this world in which we find or have found our delight. We, as well, must trust in the Word and put our hope in its teachings and promises, instead of putting our trust in humans and humanistic teaching and philosophies. We should live and breathe the word of the Lord. It should be our sustenance to provide us with all the spiritual nourishment we need for living the Christian life. The word of the Lord should be with us and in us at all times, and it should guide and direct us in all that we do, are and speak.

They Do Not Seek

Resh

Look on my affliction and deliver me,for I do not forget your law.
Plead my cause and redeem me;give me life according to your promise!
Salvation is far from the wicked,for they do not seek your statutes.
Great is your mercy, O Lord;give me life according to your rules.
Many are my persecutors and my adversaries,but I do not swerve from your testimonies.

It says here that salvation is far from the wicked, for they do not seek God’s Word (Christ’s teachings and instructions). I think many people will read this and think only of those who are committing really gross sins or serious crimes, and yet the wicked are any who have not yet believed in Jesus Christ, by God’s grace, through faith, which entails repentance and submission to God/Jesus. This includes people in this world whom we might consider as nice, kind and good, as well as it includes many who profess the name of Christ, but who have never repented of their sin and who are still walking according to the ways of the flesh and of this sinful world. Jesus Christ did not die just so we could escape hell and have the hope of heaven when we die. He died so we would no longer live for ourselves, but for him who gave himself up for us. He died to free us from the control of sin over our lives on a day-to-day basis, and so we would walk with him in his righteousness and holiness.

Yet, the wicked are not the only ones guilty of not seeking the Lord and his word. Many believers in Jesus Christ have drifted away from their Lord and their sincere faith in Christ, and have returned to walking according to the ways of this sinful world. They have forgotten their Lord and his instructions, and have gone their own way. They think their lives are their own to do as they please, and they forget that God demands obedience and submission of his followers. They separate their fleshly lives from their spiritual lives, and thus have become lazy, complacent, and comfortable in their worldliness and wicked way of living. They don’t see anything wrong with partaking in fleshly desires, because they figure God’s grace covers it all. Yet, the Word teaches us that God’s grace teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age while we wait for our Lord’s return (See: Tit. 2:11-14).

So, God is calling his idolatrous and adulterous children to return to him as their only Lord and God, to repent of their sin, to forsake their idols, and to call upon him in faith, in obedience and in surrender to him and to his will for their lives. And, he also desires that the wicked forsake their sinful ways, turn to the Lord, believe in Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord, and follow him in obedience to his word the rest of their days, all in the power and working of the Spirit of God within them. Then, they will go in joy, and be led forth in peace, and there will be much rejoicing because sinners have turned from their sinful ways and the wayward have returned to their Lord. Amen!

Seek the Lord / An Original Work / July 20, 2012

Based off Isaiah 55

“Come to Me all you who thirst; come to waters.
Listen to Me, and eat what’s good today,
And your soul will delight in richest of fare.
Give ear to Me, and you will live.
I have made an eternal covenant with you.
Wash in the blood of the Lamb.”

Seek the Lord while He may be found; call on Him.
Let the wicked forsake his way, in truth.
Let him turn to the Lord, and he will receive mercy.
Freely, God pardons him.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,”
declares the Lord, our God.

“My word that goes out of My mouth is truthful.
It will not return to Me unfulfilled.
My word will accomplish all that I desire,
And achieve the goal I intend.
You will go in joy, and be led forth in peace.
The mountains will burst into song… before you,
And all of the trees clap their hands.”

http://originalworks.info/seek-the-lord/

Back