I Am Reading The Bible For The First Time, Please Suggest Companion Resources

My first introduction into the complexity of The Bible and potential translations comes in the form of the Curse of Ham. I see that there are many interpretations of what exactly Ham did. What do you think Ham did?

It states clearly, in scripture, that after the flood, Noah got intoxicated and passed out naked. Ham went into his father's tent and saw him naked - he told his two brothers , who while not looking, covered their father up. Jewish apocrypha tells a story that Noah took a sprig of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, which was apparently a grape vine, and planted it first thing, after the flood, feeling he could control what Adam and Eve could not. Ham got to see what resulted. So Noah blew humanity's second chance to return to paradise.
BTW, Malachi Martin wrote the Encounter which is his analysis of Judaic, Islam, and Christian religions. I think it's out of print

Oh ... and e-sword is a handy tool for translating the language in an enormous variety of Bibles.

Ham's sin was that he did not act to preserve his father's honor, but went and told others what he saw to spread it around. However, notice that Noah did not curse Ham, but cursed his son Canaan instead. Why?

My theory is Canaan heard the news and took advantage of Noah in some way. Genesis 9:24 mentions the curse came because of something "his youngest son" did. In the Bible, sons are usually listed in birth order. If this is the case with Noah's sons, then Japheth was the youngest, not Ham, for the sons are always listed in order "Shem, Ham, and Japheth". However, Ham's sons are listed in Genesis 10:6, with Canaan coming last, indicating he was the youngest. So I think Genesis 9:24 is likely speaking of Ham's youngest son, not Noah's. The curse fell where it was most deserved.

Ham's sin was that he did not act to preserve his father's honor, but went and told others what he saw to spread it around. However, notice that Noah did not curse Ham, but cursed his son Canaan instead. Why?

My theory is Canaan heard the news and took advantage of Noah in some way. Genesis 9:24 mentions the curse came because of something "his youngest son" did. In the Bible, sons are usually listed in birth order. If this is the case with Noah's sons, then Japheth was the youngest, not Ham, for the sons are always listed in order "Shem, Ham, and Japheth". However, Ham's sons are listed in Genesis 10:6, with Canaan coming last, indicating he was the youngest. So I think Genesis 9:24 is likely speaking of Ham's youngest son, not Noah's. The curse fell where it was most deserved.

I have to go back now and read - as I confess, I went from memory when I posted. However, that is a pretty good theory. One that better explains the curse than any I have heard previously. Interesting name Fading :cool:

I'm doing research for a book, and as part of this I am reading the Bible. It is my goal to understand the message as fully as possible. In pursuit of that goal, I am reaching out to a number of communities to ask about potential resources to help me in that understanding.

I purchased the NIRV Bible, but will probably pick up a KJV as well to get the full picture. Or, perhaps I will just read it via this forum (great resource, thank you for this).

What resources do you suggest?

Thank you very much for your time.

I suggest the Holy Spirit of God!

I would also advise you get a ESV translation.

Also a verse by verse commentary by Drs. J. Vernon McGee, Oliver B. Green, Charles Stanley, along with a Hebrew and Greek concordance.

Back