Humility !

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Testament family blessings
- Jeremiah 31:27-40
1. New covenant
Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
- Jeremiah 31:31

2. New concord
But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
- Jeremiah 31:33

3. New convection
And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
- Jeremiah 31:34

4. New consecration
And the whole valley of the dead bodies, and of the ashes, and all the fields unto the brook of Kidron, unto the corner of the horse gate toward the east, shall be holy unto the LORD; it shall not be plucked up, nor thrown down any more for ever.
- Jeremiah 31:40

5. New comfort
And the whole valley of the dead bodies, and of the ashes, and all the fields unto the brook of Kidron, unto the corner of the horse gate toward the east, shall be holy unto the LORD; it shall not be plucked up, nor thrown down any more for ever.
- Jeremiah 31:40

:)

Eze 11:19 And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh:
Eze 11:20 That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God.

Eze 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
Eze 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
Eze 36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

The puddle of their own merit!
(William Secker, "The Consistent Christian" 1660)
Many have passed the rocks of gross sins--who have suffered shipwreck upon the sands of self-righteousness.

It was the saying of one, that he "would swim through a sea of brimstone--if he might but arrive safely at heaven." Ah, how would natural men soar to heaven--upon the pinions of their own merit! The sunbeams of Divine justice--will soon melt such weak and wax wings!

He who has no better righteousness than what is of his own providing, shall meet with no higher happiness than what is of his own deserving. "They disregarded the righteousness from God--and attempted to establish their own righteousness." They are determined to sail in their own ship--though they sink in the ocean!

We are so far from paying the utmost farthing, that at our utmost--we have not even a farthing to pay! That man will be a miserable spectacle of vanity--who stands upon the lame feet of his own ability!

Duties are but dry pits, though ever so meticulously wrought--until Christ fills them. Reader, I would neither have you be idle in duties--nor make an idol of duties.

What are duties without Christ--but like a fine cabinet without a jewel--or a golden cup without a cordial? The most diligent saint--has been the most self-distrusting saint, "that I may gain Christ and be found in him--not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ--the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith." If you are found in your own righteousness, you will be lost by your own righteousness. That garment which was worn to shreds on Adam's back--will never make a complete covering for you.

Duties may be good crutches to go upon--but they are bad Christs to lean upon. It is the greatest disparagement that professors can offer to Christ--to put their services in the scale with His sufferings. The beggarly rags of the first Adam--must never be put on with the princely robe of the second Adam!

Man is a creature too much inclined to warm himself by the sparks of his own fire--though he lies down in eternal flames for kindling them! Though Noah's dove made use of her wings--yet she found no rest, but in the ark. Duties can never have too much of our diligence--or too little of our confidence. A believer does not perform good works to live--but he lives to perform good works.

He shall have hell as his debt--who will not take heaven as a gift. "We boast in Christ Jesus, and do not put confidence in the flesh." A true Christian stands at as great distance from trusting in the best of his services--as in the worst of his sins! He knows that the greatest part of his holiness--will not make the least part of his justifying righteousness. He has unreservedly subscribed to that sentiment, "that when we have done all--we are only unprofitable servants."

When we have kept all the commandments, there is one commandment above all to be kept; that is, "all our righteous acts are like filthy rags!" In most of our works--we are abominable sinners; and in the best of our works--we are unprofitable servants. "O Sovereign Lord, I will proclaim Your righteousness, Yours alone!" You see, beloved, the righteousness of Christ is to be magnified--when the righteousness of a Christian is not to be mentioned.

It is hard for us to be "nothing in ourselves" amidst all our works; and to be "all things in Christ," amidst all our weakness. To undertake every duty--and yet to overlook every duty--is a lesson which none can learn, but Christ's scholars.

Our obedience, at best, is like good wine--which relishes of a bad cask. The 'Law of God' will not accept ninety-nine for a hundred. It will not accept the coin of our obedience, either short in quantity--or base in quality. The duty it exacts--is as impossible to be performed in this our fallen state; as the penalty it inflicts--is intolerable to be endured in our eternal state!

We do not sail to glory in the salt sea of our own tears--but in the red sea of the Redeemer's blood! The Cross of Christ--is the only key of paradise! We owe the life of our souls--to the death of our Savior. It was His going into the fiery furnace--which keeps us from going into the devouring flames! Man lives--by death: his natural life is preserved by the death of the creature; and his spiritual life is gained by the death of the Redeemer.

Those who carry their vessel of hope to the puddle of their own merit--will never draw the water of comfort, from the fountain of God's mercy!

Judas the preacher! by William Secker
ip.gif

Judas the preacher!

"If you know these things--you are blessed if you do them." John 13:17

To obey the truth, and not to know it--is impossible.
To know the truth, and not obey it--is unprofitable.

For, "Not everyone who says unto me, 'Lord, Lord' shall enter into the kingdom of heaven--but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven." Saving knowledge is not as the light of the moon--to sleep by; but as the light of the sun--to work by. It is not a loiterer in the market-place--but a laborer in the vineyard.

A man may be a great scholar--and yet be a great sinner. Judas the traitor--was Judas the preacher! The snake which has a pearl in its head--has poison in its body! The tree of knowledge has often been planted, and flourished--where the tree of life never grew! All abilities and gifts--without grace and holiness--are but like Uriah's letters, which were the death warrants of those who carried them!

Mere head knowledge will be as unhelpful to the soul, in the judgment day--as a painted fire is unhelpful to the frozen body, in a cold day. Theoretical knowledge may make the head giddy--but it will never make the heart holy. How many professors are there, who have light enough to know what should be done--but have not love enough to do what they know! Give me the Christian who perfectly sees the way he should go--and readily goes the way he sees!

That is barren ground--which brings forth no fruit. "To him who knows to do good, and does it not--to him it is sin." The sins of ignorance are most numerous--but the sins of knowledge are most dangerous! That sinner's darkness will be the greatest in hell--whose light was the clearest on earth!

There are many who set a crown of glory upon the head of Christ by a good profession, and yet put a crown of thorns upon his head by an evil conversation. By the words of our mouth--we may affect to adore religion; but it is by the works of our lives--that we adorn religion.

As trees without fruits are unprofitable--so knowledge without good works is abominable! Leah and Rachel are fit emblems of knowledge and obedience. Knowledge, like Rachel--is beautiful. But obedience, like Leah--is fruitful.

Who is Obed-Edom?
By Richard Spangler
CBN Staff Writer

CBN.com -- Who is Obed-Edom? Why be like him? His choices and his life led to blessings for himself and his family. Let us, together, learn who Obed-Edom was and about his life.

Obed-Edom is first mentioned in the Bible, just after the death of Uzzah for touching the Ark of God. This happened during King David’s first attempt to move the Ark to Jerusalem. The Ark of God was placed in the home of Obed-Edom. He must have been a man of faith to allow something in his home; just after God had killed someone for touching it (this broke one of the commands of the Lord concerning the Ark). The ark of God remained with Obed-Edom for three months, and the Lord blessed his household and everything he owned.

When it came time to move the Ark to Jerusalem, (this time correctly) Obed-Edom had a choice. He could have stayed where he was and lived off of his past relationship with God or move with the Ark of God, staying in God’s presence and in relationship with God.

Obed-Edom had a desire for the Lord and moved with God. His desire for the Lord caused him to do whatever it took to be close to the Lord. He became a gatekeeper, a musician, and a doorkeeper for the Ark. Due to Obed-Edom’s desire and love for the Lord and his faithfulness, God begins again to bless him and promote him.

Obed-Edom becomes a worship leader and is mentioned along with Aspah the Chief Musician. Obed-Edom and his 68 associates minister regularly before the Lord in worship. Yet, he still continues to keep the gates.

Obed-Edom is not only blessed in ministry and relationship with the Lord, his family is also blessed. God gives him eight sons, his poor wife raising a football team. His sons and grandsons also worshiped the Lord and were blessed by the Lord. They were all leaders, capable men, with strength to do the work. There were 62 men in all. Obed-Edom along with his other duties was put in charge of the Southgate and his sons were keepers of the storehouse.

Obed-Edom by his faith, attitude, and actions created a legacy of faith, and relationship with the Lord. The Lord was faithful back to Obed-Edom establishing a legacy of generational blessings.

Obed-Edom had to pack up and physically move to stay in the presence of God. His desire for a relationship with God established a relationship not only for himself but also for his children and grandchildren. This relationship also established generational blessings from God for his family.

Today, we don’t have to travel to a specific place to know the presence of the Lord or to have a relationship with the Lord. We, as believers all have the Holy Spirit within us. But, it is up to each of us to stir up the desire to seek out our own relationship with God, Our Father. The Father desires for us to have a relationship with him. He waits patiently for His sons and daughters to seek him out and have an individual relationship with Him.

We can have this relationship with the Father by first, hungering and thirsting after righteousness, we will be filled (Mt. 5:6). We must work to keep our hearts pure and we will see God. We must seek first the Kingdom of God and Its righteousness (Mt. 6:37).

Our Father is crying out by His Spirit within us, for each of us to stir up our desire for Him. He wants us to be passionate for Him, to get hungry and thirsty for Him. When you are hungry and thirsty for something, you do what it takes to be satisfied.

The first step is to keep a pure heart… Unconfessed sin is a relationship and a blessing stopper with God. Keep short accounts with the Lord by following 1 John 1:9 and by keeping short accounts with others. No choice here. If you have done wrong, go to the person, confess it, ask for forgiveness and make it right. If you know some one has something against you, go to them, and don’t wait for them to come to you. Make it right. Be careful what you watch on T.V., listen to the radio, and what comes in over the Internet, enough said.

Second, study the Word of God, and mediate on it daily. Mediation is not mystical or hard. If you can worry, you can mediate. We all do a great job worrying. We take an issue and keep thinking the worst that can happen over and over again. Mediation is thinking about a particular scripture or the goodness of God, over and over again. This is simple but it works, and the more you do it the easier it gets. Putting on worship music helps with mediation and will bring the Presence of God.

A third step is just relax and rest in the Presence of God. We think that we must be doing something all the time for God. Relaxing and resting in God’s Presence is extremely important. It is in these times that we can clearly hear from the Lord. A Web site that can help with this www.soaking.net.

Finally, get up and get moving. Get involved in your church and/or your community. Obed-Edom did not wait for the Lord to tell him to do something, he just did it. He waited on the Lord by doing. You will find as you are doing the work of the ministry, God will give you direction in what to do.

So be an Obed-Edom, have a desire for God. Keep your heart pure. Study and mediate on the Lord, and relax and rest in God’s presence. Get up and get involved. By doing these things, you will have a relationship with God, and He will bless you and your family and create blessings for you and generational blessings for your family.

Scripture References for Obed-Edom: 1 Chronicles Chapters 13:12-14, 15:18, 21, 24, 16:38, 26:4-6, 12-15.

Obed-Edom
oM Abed-eM Adom ( „ŒDJå‰DB¸ˆË(2 Ch 25:24), „DOJå‰DB¸ˆË(2 Sa 6:10; 1 Ch 13:13,14; 15:25), but elsewhere without hyphen, "servant of (god) Edom"; so W. R. Smith, Religion of Semites 2, 42, and H. P. Smith, Samuel, 294 f, though others explain it as = "servant of man"): In 2 Sa 6:10,11,12; 1 Ch 13:13,14 a Philistine of Gath and servant of David, who received the Ark of Jehovah into his house when David brought it into Jerusalem from Kiriath-jearim. Because of the sudden death of Uzzah, David was unwilling to proceed with the Ark to his citadel, and it remained three months in the house of Obed-edom, "and Jehovah blessed Obed-edom, and all his house" (2 Sa 6:11). According to 1 Ch 13:14 the Ark had a special "house" of its own while there. He is probably the same as the Levite of 1 Ch 15:25. In 1 Ch 15:16-21 Obed-edom is a "singer," and in 1 Ch 15:24 a "doorkeeper," while according to 1 Ch 26:4-8,15 he is a Korahite doorkeeper, to whose house fell the overseership of the storehouse (26:15), while 1 Ch 16:5,38 names him as a "minister before the ark," a member of the house or perhaps guild of Jeduthun (see 2 Ch 25:24).
Obed-edom is an illustration of the service rendered to Hebrew religion by foreigners, reminding one of the Simon of Cyrene who bore the cross of Jesus (Mt 27:32, etc.). The Chronicler naturally desired to think that only Levites could discharge such duties as Obed-edom performed, and hence, the references to him as a Levite.

THE HOUSE OF OBED-EDOM

The Lord has blessed the house of Obed-edom and all that pertained unto him because of the ark of God."--II Sam. VI: I2.

Here is one of God's pictures, a picture of a home blessed of God. There are many beautiful pictures in the Bible of the lives of men and women of God but here we find an etching of a home.
I had rather have this said of my home than to have all the eulogies this world can give. I had rather have God's blessing upon our home than all that this world can bestow.
The blessing of the Lord maketh rich. God's blessings are not merely good wishes, but the conferring of blessedness and prosperity, so that when God blessed Obed-edom's home there was peace, health, abundance, both outwardly and inwardly. We have a mighty, mighty God, able not only to wish us well, but to "freely give us all things."
This peaceful picture is like a quiet rural scene hung among paintings of war, and bloodshed. It was a time of backsliding in Israel. They had forsaken God, and He had ceased to fight for them, so that their enemies prevailed against them. God is an adversary to our adversaries only when we are faithful to Him. If we forsake Him, He must necessarily forsake us. God had done this in the case of Israel. In one of the battles they had not only been defeated, but the ark, the symbol and sign of God's presence with them, had been captured.
But the enemies of Israel found that, though God's people were not faithful, yet He was far from justifying their enemies. There are people today who think that because God's people are not what they ought to be sometimes, therefore they have license and right to sin; but no, God punishes sin everywhere he finds it, and so heavy was the punishment directed against those who seized the ark, that they were eager to return it. They placed it in a cart and, sent it towards the land of the Hebrews. When God's people received the ark there was great rejoicing, and in the exhilaration and joyous intoxication of the event Uzza put forth his disrespectful and irreverent hand to steady the ark, and was smitten for his presumption. Some have thought that this was a dreadful penalty for so small a crime; but God would teach us that we cannot disobey Him with impunity, and, since the Israelites were out of the line of obedience, they were liable to the bolts of the Almighty's wrath.
In the first place, they were carrying the ark of God in an improper manner. Though they were not responsible for it being placed thus upon a cart, they were to blame for its remaining there. They had had directions from God as to how this token of His presence was to be conveyed. It must rest upon the shoulders of men set apart and sanctified for the duty of carrying it. Uzza was not such a man. Again, not one, not even those whose duty it was to bear the ark, were allowed to touch it, and on one occasion fifty thousand men had perished because they looked into it. Notwithstanding all this, Uzza in his zeal and hot, impatient eagerness, tried to steady the ark.
Beloved, these things are written for our instruction. They teach us that we cannot touch forbidden things without incurring God's displeasure. We cannot put limitations upon the Holy Ghost; we cannot hinder or put our hands on God's work without suffering an awful penalty. There are many in our churches who have put out their unsanctified hands and undertaken to stop God's work or control the manner of the manifestation of God's Spirit, and have consequently died spiritually as truly as Uzza died physically. They are dead, with dead prayers, dead testimonies, lifeless sermons, corpselike songs. God have mercy on them!
The ark, like the gospel, was life unto life or death unto death. At this juncture, when even David was afraid to have anything to do with the dangerous ark, one man, Obed-edom, gladly received it into his home and gave it honor among his family. Thank God for the Obed-edoms of all ages who have opened their doors to God's truth and His persecuted messengers, those who have dared in the face of persecution and the risks of imprisonment and the rigors of ecclesiasticism to honor God's servants and God's cause! God is not unfaithful to forget their labor of love.
And when God saw this beautiful trait in this man, and saw that the ark was set up in his home, He sent His blessing, so that he, his family, and all that pertained to him, were blessed of God.
This was a family blessing. It was something that came to the entire home. Husbands, wives, parents, children, servants, all shared in the blessing of God.
And God makes us responsible for the piety of the household. Abraham commanded his household after him. The priest was not only to make a sacrifice for himself, but for his family. "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."
Husbands, obey your wives. Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands. Children, obey your parents. Servants, obey your masters. A model home is one in which the precepts of God's Word are all fulfilled and obeyed. Then there is peace among all. Children do not then learn to quarrel from the example of the parents. Servants find that their masters are praying for them. Fathers do not provoke their children to anger. The entire family belongs to God, and everyone endeavors to help the other in his or her spiritual life.
The result: "No plague shall come nigh thy dwelling." "The children of the just are blessed after him" (Isaiah lxiv: 3). "I will pour out My Spirit upon thy seed, and My blessing upon thy offspring."
When Boaz comes out to the field, instead of there being trouble and unpleasantness between master and servant, the former says to the reapers, "The Lord be with you," and they answer back, "The Lord bless thee."
A blessed home is a quiet home. "Better is a dry morsel with quietness, than a stalled ox with strife."

In such a home family worship is never neglected. The busier the day and the more there is to do the more must God's help besought. "Pour Thy fury upon the families that call not upon Thy name." Such is the doom of the prayerless home, but one in which God and prayer are honored "shall not be afraid of evil tidings."
"Because of the ark of God." All these glorious things came to the family because of God's presence. He is one of the family. He is consulted and His opinion deferred to. His advice clears the tables and bookcases of all impure or immoral reading. Let Him rule, and you will find that everything unholy will fall, like Dagon before the ark.
Oh, Jesus, we give our honors to Thee; we give each other to Thee this day! This hour do Thou take possession and begin Thy work. Surely, if our honors are Thine, we will not pout if we are separated; if our children are Thine, we will not nag and scold them; if we are to love our "wives as Christ also loved the Church," we will not complain and find fault with them; we will be true in word and deed. If we are to submit as wives, we know that it will be the best for us; if we are to reverence our husbands, Thou wilt make them worthy of reverence; if as children we are to obey our parents, we know it is best; if as servants we are to serve men, we know that "all things will work together for good" for us all. May we, O Lord, enter our houses and conduct ourselves in our families we have before, for Jesus' sake! Amen.

"Understanding your identity in Christ is absolutely essential to your success at living the victorious Christian life

Who I Am In Christ

I am accepted...
John 1:12 I am God's child.
John 15:15 As a disciple, I am a friend of Jesus Christ.
Romans 5:1 I have been justified.
1 Corinthians 6:17 I am united with the Lord, and I am one with Him in spirit.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 I have been bought with a price and I belong to God.
1 Corinthians 12:27 I am a member of Christ's body.
Ephesians 1:3-8 I have been chosen by God and adopted as His child.
Colossians 1:13-14 I have been redeemed and forgiven of all my sins.
Colossians 2:9-10 I am complete in Christ.
Hebrews 4:14-16 I have direct access to the throne of grace through Jesus Christ.

I am secure...
Romans 8:1-2 I am free from condemnation.
Romans 8:28 I am assured that God works for my good in all circumstances.
Romans 8:31-39 I am free from any condemnation brought against me and I cannot be separated from the love of God.
2 Corinthians 1:21-22 I have been established, anointed and sealed by God.
Colossians 3:1-4 I am hidden with Christ in God.
Philippians 1:6 I am confident that God will complete the good work He started in me.
Philippians 3:20 I am a citizen of heaven.
2 Timothy 1:7 I have not been given a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind.
1 John 5:18 I am born of God and the evil one cannot touch me.

I am significant...
John 15:5 I am a branch of Jesus Christ, the true vine, and a channel of His life.
John 15:16 I have been chosen and appointed to bear fruit.
1 Corinthians 3:16 I am God's temple.
2 Corinthians 5:17-21 I am a minister of reconciliation for God.
Ephesians 2:6 I am seated with Jesus Christ in the heavenly realm.
Ephesians 2:10 I am God's workmanship.
Ephesians 3:12 I may approach God with freedom and confidence.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

A flower which never grew in the world's garden!

"I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know both how to have a little--and I know how to have a lot. In any and all circumstances, I have learned the secret of being content--whether well-fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me." Philippians 4:11-13

Every man has received more good--than he has deserved. He should therefore be contented, though he sees but little good. And he should not be discontented, though he suffers much evil.

"Keep your lives free from the love of money--and be content with what you have." When a wicked man's purse grows light--his heart grows heavy. When he has something without to afflict him--he has nothing within to support him.

Repenting is the act of Christian men--but repining is the act of carnal men. Though their estates are like a fruitful paradise--yet their hearts are like a barren wilderness. Such people are like those spiders--which suck poison out of the sweetest flowers--and by an infernal chemistry, extract dross from the purest gold!

Outward prosperity cannot create inward tranquility. 'Hearts-ease' is a flower which never grew in the world's garden! The ground of a wicked man's trouble, is not because he has not enough of the creature--but because he cannot find enough in the creature to satisfy him! His possession is great enough--but his disposition is not low enough.

Our worldly comforts would be a sea to drown us--if our crosses were not a plank to save us!

Contentment is the best food to preserve a sound man--and the best medicine to restore a sick man. It resembles the gilt on bitter pills, which makes a man take them--without tasting their bitterness. Contentment will make a lowly cottage--look as fair as a grand palace. He is not a poor man--who has but little; but he is a poor man--who desires much. In this sense, the poorest are often the richest--and the richest the poorest.

"Godliness with contentment is great gain." Contentment is too precious a flower to grow in every soil. Though every godly man may not always be contented--yet every truly contented man is godly. "The Lord is my shepherd--I have everything I need!" Such a Scripture will bring us plenty in scarcity; and fullness out of emptiness.

Never complain of your hard condition, Christian--so long as Jesus is your friend! Let your condition be ever so flourishing--it is a hell without Him. Let your condition be ever so fluctuating--it is a heaven with Him. Can that man truly lack anything--who enjoys Christ; or can he be said to truly enjoy anything--who is without Christ?
~ ~ ~ ~

It will be bitter in your belly!

"The wages of sin--is death." Romans 6:23
The 'ways of sin' may have popular approval--but they shall also have divine abhorrence marked upon them.

This Delilah may please us for a time--but she will betray us at last!

Though Satan's apples may have a fair skin--yet they certainly have a bitter core!

Methinks the flaming sword in one hand, and the golden scepter in the other hand--should guard us from the forbidden tree; and make our hearts like wet tinder to all the sparks of Satan!

Reader, if you behold nothing but pleasure in the commission of sin--you will experience nothing but the most dreadful pain in the conclusion of sin! "The wages of sin--is death." All workmen should have their wages; and it is only reasonable that those who employ you--should pay you. But, however you may delight in the works of sin--you will by no means relish the wages of sin! Ah, what wise man would toil so long in sin's drudgery--whose wages are no better than eternal misery!

Though all sins are not equal in their nature--yet all sins are in their very nature, deadly. "The wages of sin--is death." The candle of man's life is blown out--by the wind of his lusts! The corruption of nature--tends to the dissolution of nature. Reader, you began to be sinful--when you began to be mortal. If you had never had anything to do with sin--death could never have had anything to do with you.
It is at that vile enemy, SIN--which God shoots all His arrows!

Sin is like a serpent in your bosom--which stings you! Sin is like a thief in your closet--who plunders you! Sin resembles poison in the stomach; or a sword to the heart--both of which tend to death! Like John's little book--sin may be sweet in your mouth--but it will be bitter in your belly!

The foul dregs--lie at the bottom of the vessel. The golden cup of sin--is filled with the most poisonous ingredients! Sinner, that which is now like a rose flourishing in your bosom--will in a very little time be like a poisoned dagger at your heart!
While such a 'Judas' kisses--he kills! While the ivy twines round the oak--it eats out its sap.

If sin were not so delightful--it would not be so deceitful. Like a cunning angler--sin shows the bait, but conceals the hook! If you, O man, are found nibbling at the bait--you may justly expect the hook! O think, you who now boast in nothing so much as sin--that there is a time approaching, when you will be ashamed of nothing but sin! You will be eternally sinful--but you cannot be eternally joyful. In hell, all that sugar will be melted, in which this bitter pill of sin was wrapped! Hell is too hot a climate--for wanton delights to live in!

The pleasures of sin are but for a season--but the torments of unpardoned sin are of an eternal duration! Death will turn all the waters of pleasure--into blood! The serpent of sensual delight--always carries a deadly sting in its tail! All the blaze of worldly pomp--will soon end in midnight darkness and horror!

It is better to make your lodgings in a bed of snakes--than in the forbidden bed of sinful lusts!

When the pale horse of death goes before--the red horse of wrath follows after! When the sinner's body goes to the worms to be consumed--then his soul goes to hell to be tormented! A wise man knows, that it is far better to forego the pleasures of sin here--than to undergo the pains of wrath hereafter!

"There was a certain rich man who was splendidly clothed, feasting lavishly every day." What pleasure does Dives now reap in hell, from all the choice banquets he sat down to, on earth? "I am in agony in this fire!" The stench and torment of everlasting burnings--will take away the sweetest perfumes which ever covered sin!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What does God teach about sex?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you wish a wonderful picture of the positives about sex, read carefully the Bible book sometimes called the Song of Songs or the Song of Solomon. The love story there is extremely sexual and very graphic. You may not see that with a casual reading since so much of it is written in the idiom of their day. From time to time in our question/answer section, we will refer to that book and, hopefully, make clear some of the explicit sexual references. In this section, we take a slightly different approach to learning God's view of sex. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A great deal of what the Bible teaches about sex comes in the form of prohibitions. Don't let that make you think God is against sex. He made it! But He made it to be enjoyed in His design-not in any human aberration of that design. Let's examine some of those prohibitions. By knowing what God prohibits, we can deduce what God designed to be fulfilling in sexual union.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Ten Prohibitions[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1) Incest[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
God strongly condemned sexual relations with a "close relative." Relatives listed include:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mother (Leviticus 18:7), Father's wife-stepmother (Lev. 18:8-under penalty of death, Lev. 20:11), Sister, half-sister, or stepsister (Lev. 18:9, 11-penalized by being cut off from the people, Lev. 20:17), Grandchild (Lev. 18:10), Aunt (Lev. 18:12, 13, 14-penalized by dying childless, Lev. 20:19), Daughter-in-law (Lev. 18:15), Sister-in-law (Lev. 18:16), Daughter or granddaughter of woman one had sex with (Lev. 18:17-penalized by death, Lev. 20:14)[/FONT].
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2) Homosexuality
God strongly condemns sexual relations with a person of the same gender in the Old Testament (Lev. 18:22-penalized by death, Lev. 20:13). He condemns it just as strongly in the New Testament (Romans 1:24-28-penalized by spiritual death, Rom. 1:27, 6:23)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3) Rape
The Old Testament law definitely favored the male. If a man raped a married or engaged woman, he was to be executed while the woman was held to be innocent and worthy of no punishment. If the woman could have summoned help but didn't, she was also to be executed (Deuteronomy. 22:23-27).
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If a man raped a single, unengaged woman, he was not put to death. The penalty was to marry her with no possibility of divorce, ever. (Deut. 22:28-29)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4) Consensual sex with one other than your mate
If a man slept with a woman who consenually engaged in sex with him, his penalty was to marry her (if her father wished) with no possibility of divorce (Exodus 22:16-17).
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The New Testament made it clear that God expected sex to take place only in the boundaries of marriage. (1 Corinthians 7:2-5) Anyone guilty of sexual sin-called fornication in some versions and sexual immorality in others-would suffer spiritual death unless he or she finds God's forgiveness. (Galatians 5:19-21)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5) Adultery
In the Old Testament adultery only occurred if a married woman was involved. A man who slept with a single woman (see above) didn't commit adultery since men could, by law, have more than one wife. Since women couldn't, by law, have more than one husband, any sexual encounter with another man-married or single-was adultery. God vehemently condemns it (Lev. 20:10) and listed the punishment as death (Deut. 22:22).
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In the New Testament anyone married to one person but sleeping with another committed adultery. "Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral" (Hebrews 13:4).[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6) Lust
In the Old Testament God phrased it this way, "You shall not covet your neighbor's wife." (Exodus 20:17) In the New Testament Jesus said it like this, "You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart" (Matthew 5:27-28).
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7) Prostitution
God stated He detests prostitution. (Deut. 23:17-18) In the New Testament He said through Paul, "Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Never!" (1 Corinthians 6:15)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8) Bestiality
Any person, male or female, who participated in sexual activity with any animal was to be put to death under the Old Testament law (Lev. 20:15, 16).
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9) Sex during menstrual period
A basic principle of Scripture is "the life of a creature is in the blood." (Lev. 17:11) Therefore, blood is always treated as holy--even in the New Testament (Acts 15:29).
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Understanding that principle helps us understand God's law listed in the Old Testament about sexual relations during the wife's menstrual period. He said that it shouldn't happen (Lev. 15:24, 18:19) and listed the penalty as being "cut off" from the people. (Lev. 20:18) Many today believe that particular part of the "blood" law was given primarily for health reasons-the people of the Old Testament not having access to our modern hygiene or medicines-and that particular law has no application to Christians. Others feel that it lists God view of the sanctity of blood and should still be observed by Christians who respect God's feelings.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10) Harm the body
While this isn't specifically mentioned as I will describe it, the principle applies to anything that affects a person's body. Remember, the context in which this passage is found is one that discusses sexual activity. In 1 Corinthians 6:19, 20 Paul wrote for us, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore, honor God with your body." While our spirits belong to God, so does our body. We are not to do anything that desecrates that temple of God that our body is. Sexual activity that harms the body should not occur.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What are the basic principles?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Positive Points[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Based on all we've studied in this section, it seems to me that we may infer these basic principles about God's view of sex.[/FONT]​

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]God intends for sex to be enjoyed by people married to each other-sex isn't just for procreation as with the other animals.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]God endorses our enjoyment of every part of our spouse's body.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]God wants each person in the marriage to conscientiously fulfill his or her mates sexual needs and desires.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Prohibitive Points[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Based on our study, I believe that the following limitations must exist for sex to be everything that God intended.[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sex must only take place in the confines of marriage. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sex may never involve:
    1. Another person besides your mate.
    2. Any animal.
    3. Anything that causes harm to either person's body.
    [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That means that anything not prohibited by these principles is acceptable to God! So many things that some avoid for fear of offending God shouldn't be avoided at all. At least not avoided for religious reasons. They are just as valid and good as kissing, hugging, or any other expression of love between two who have committed themselves to each other. For more specifics, please read our weekly question/answer column about biblical principles of sexuality.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What does this mean to your marriage?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Priority One[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]First, pay attention to your sexual life. While it is true that every part of your life affects every other part, you must make every effort to keep your sexual life healthy. Never forget God's warning about Satan's attack that He gave you in 1 Corinthians 7. Sexually unfulfilled people can be tempted through their lack of self-control. Remove that avenue of attack from Satan's forces by keeping your mate thoroughly sexually satisfied![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Priority Two[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Second, keep the bedroom special. Never argue in that room. Never discipline the children there. Never, ever, pay bills in that room. The bedroom should be for sleeping and love-making-nothing else! Don't let that room be associated with any negative thing in your mind or emotions. Make it the most special room in your house.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Teach your children to respect the privacy of that room. Train them from infancy that when that door is shut, parents are spending special time with each other that is not to be violated. If you fear that they may figure out what you're doing in there, what better way to teach them healthy attitudes about sex? They learn to associate sex--although, of course, they shouldn't see or hear anything inappropriate--with love and marriage.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Priority Three[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Third, if either of you wants sexual activity that the other finds uncomfortable--or perhaps even repulsive--each should submit to the other. That means that the initiator must not manipulate, cajole, pressure, or punish the reticent mate. But it also means that the reticent mate should prayerfully and purposefully work toward doing what the initiator requests--as long as it fits the principles outlined in this chapter. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For example, the reticent one should not allow another person to be involved in the couples sexual life if the initiator was to request such a thing. But if the initiator requests something outside the current comfort zone of the reticent mate that isn't wrong in the eyes of God, the reticent person should start making progress toward fulfilling that request.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With time and patience, each mate will get what he or she desires--a loving relationship that doesn't get stale, doesn't frustrate, and does fulfill each with great satisfaction.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Joe Beam
[/FONT]​

The Lord honours us
Since you were precious in My sight,
You have been honored,
And I have loved you;
Therefore I will give men for you,
And people for your life. - Isaiah 43:4

Satan's herd of swine!

(William Secker, "The Consistent Christian")

"You shall not follow a multitude--to do evil."
Exodus 23:2

The generality of people--are like dead fish,
which float down the stream, wherever it runs.

The 'voice of the people'--is often the voice
of the devil.

Satan's herd of swine--is larger than Christ's
flock of sheep!
Let them be ever so mighty--we
are not to fear them. Let them be ever so many
--we are not to follow them.

If we will not have the people of the world to be
our leaders--we shall be sure to have them as our
troublers. If they cannot seduce us into their evil
ways--they will oppose us in our holy ways. If they
cannot scorch us with their fire--they will try to
blacken us with their smoke. They will speak evil
of us--because we do not run into the same excess
of evil with them. Because we refuse to play the
fool with them--they will say that we are mad.

"Though the people of Israel are as numerous
as the sand on the seashore--only the remnant
will be saved." Romans 9:27. The whole piece
belongs to the Devil--but God cuts off a remnant
for Himself!

The trees of righteousness are thinly
planted
--in the world's orchard.
There are many wicked sinners
--to one godly man!

Pebbles lie abundant in the streets
--but pearls are rare to find.
Sinners are certainly the greatest company
--but they are also the worst company.

Remember, the multitude of people, are like the
droves of cattle
--which go to the slaughter!

Those who follow after others in sinning--will
be sure to follow them in suffering! Alas, the
largeness of the multitude, will not extinguish
the fierceness of the flame! The great number
of those immortal ******s--will but intensify
the fury of the eternal fire!​

Why People Will Not Receive Christ
1. Some just will not believe - John 16:8-9
2. Some are unwilling to repent of sins - Luke 13:3
3. Some think Christianity is for losers - I Cor. 1:18
4. Some are proud - unwilling to humble themselves - Mat. 18:4
5. Some give in to the pressures of society - Tit. 2:12
6. Some believe they are already saved - I Tim. 4:1-2
7. Some do not understand - II Cor. 4:4; Acts 8:30-31

ONE PERSON WHOM THE LORD IS SEARCHING

Short Description
EZE 22 : 30,31 "And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none." "Therefore have I poured out mine indignation upon them; I have consumed them with the fire of my wrath: their own way have I recompensed upon their heads, saith the Lord GOD."

Detail
Our Lord God is mourning and grieving for He could not find a person for His sake. When God decides to destroy the people, He will search for a mediator who can pray for them to save their skin. The men who stood for God's people are

1. ABRAHAM : GEN 18 : 22, 23
Our God foretold Abraham that He is going to destroy a city because of its sins. Abraham stood before the Lord for its people sake. He pleaded for His Mercy. The Lord heard is prayer and saved a family out of that destruction.
Like Abraham, we should also pray for our nation. Our prayer will win many souls for our Lord God.

2. MOSES : EXO 32 : 32
Israelites sinned against God by making a golden calf. This very act of Israelites kindled the anger of our Lord God. Moses, Gods chosen one, pleads for his people. He ask God to save his people or to take his name away from the Book of Life. The Lord heard his prayer and saved his people.
Like Moses, we should also plead God to save our people from their sins.

3. JOSHUA : JOS 7 : 6
Israelites sinned against God. So they were defeated by their enemies. When Joshua heard this, he rented his clothes. He cried aloud before God. He pleads for his people. Our God was moved because of His act and commanded him to tell his people to sanctify themselves. After this they defeated their enemies.
Like Joshua, we should plead God for the victory of our people.

4. DAVID : II SAM 24 : 17
David did a mistake of numbering. So our God got angry and He sent a pestilence against Israel. David grieved for his mistake and pleaded God. Our God was moved. His prayer saved his people. Each and every act of ours will affect our family also.
Like David, we should also pray for our people and also for our family to escape from our God's wrath.

5. PAUL : II COR 2 : 4
Paul prayed not for his sake but for the sake of the church. He shed tears for its sake.
Like Paul, we should not only pray for our own sake but also for others.

God will not throw away His jewels!

"Lord, I believe--help my unbelief!" Mark 9:24

Lord, I see--but enlighten my darkness!
Lord, I hear--but cure my deafness!
Lord, I move--but quicken my dullness!
Lord, I desire--but help my unwillingness!

Wherever sin proves hateful--it shall not prove hurtful.

What an apology does a sorrowful Savior make for His
sleeping saints!
"The spirit is willing--but the flesh is weak!"

Take a carnal man, and what he can do--that he will not do.
Take a Christian man, and what he would do--that he cannot do.

God will pity impotency--but He will punish obstinacy.

It would be folly, indeed, to think that our fields have
no grain
in them--because there is some chaff about
the wheat; or that the ore had no gold in it--because
there is some dross mixed among it.

In heaven, there is service alone--without any sin.
In hell, there is sin alone--without service.
But on earth, there is sin and service in the same man
--as there is light and shade in the same picture.

Above us--there is light without any darkness.
Below us--there is darkness without any light.
But in this world--it is neither all day nor all night.

Though the lowest believer is above the power of sin--
yet the highest believer is not above the presence of sin!

It is in a living Christian that sin is to be mortified--but
it is only in a dying Christian that sin is to be destroyed.

When the body and the soul--are separated by mortality
--sin and the soul--will then be separated to eternity!

Sin never ruins--but where it reigns!

Sin is not damning--where it is disturbing!

The more trouble sin receives from us
--the less trouble sin does to us.

Sin is only a murderer--where it is a governor!

Our graces are our best jewels--but they do
not yield their brightest luster in this world.

The moon, when she shines brightest--has its spots;
and the fire, when it burns the hottest--has its smoke.

Sin is an enemy at the Christian's back
--but not a friend in his bosom.

Although believers should be mournful--because
they have infirmities; yet they should be thankful
--because they are but infirmities.

It is true, they have sin in them--and that should
make them sorrowful. But it is just as true, that
they have a Savior for them--and that should
make them joyful.

The conduct of a Christian may sometimes
be spotted with infirmity--when the heart is
sound in the love of sanctity.

Jacob halted--and yet was blessed. As his blessing
did not take away his halting--so his halting did
not keep away his blessing.

The heavenly Bridegroom will not put out a believer's
candle--because of the dimness of its burning; nor
will He overshadow a believer's sun--because of the
weakness of its shining.

Though that vice may be found in us--for which God
might justly damn us; yet that grace is to be found
in Him--by which He will justly save us. He does not
come with water to extinguish the fire--but with wind
to disperse the smoke!

As death leaves the body soulless
--so death leaves the soul sinless.
"You of little faith--why did you doubt?" Poor Peter
had faith enough to keep him from drowning--but
not enough faith to keep him from doubting.

As Alexander's painter could find a finger
to conceal the scar on his master's face--so
when Jesus Christ draws the picture of the
saint's excellency--He can find a covering
for all the scars of his infirmities!

God will not throw away His jewels--for
every speck of dirt which may be on them!

Identify ourselves with
crucification of Jesus
"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." - Galatians 2:20
1. Unjust judgment to be crucified
22Pilate saith unto them, What shall I do then with Jesus which is called Christ? They all say unto him, Let him be crucified.
23And the governor said, Why, what evil hath he done? But they cried out the more, saying, Let him be crucified.
- Matthew 27:22,23

2. Unbearable pain of the cross
And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha:
- John 19:17
3. Unreasonable classification with the criminals
27And with him they crucify two thieves; the one on his right hand, and the other on his left.
28And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors.
- Mark 15:27,28
4. Untold agony and pain on the cross
And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.
- Colossians 1:20
5. Unwise challenge by enemies and mockers
And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross.
- Matthew 27:40
6. Unhappy separation from the beloved ones
Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.
- John 19:25
7. Unconditional obedience to the cross
And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
- Philippians 2:8

No wonder if Satan get into the saddle!

"Avoid every kind of evil." 1 Thessalonians 5:22​
He who now gives way to the least sin--may yet be given up to the greatest sins. We are never far enough from lust--while we are on earth; or near enough to Christ--while we are out of heaven. O, stand far off from the devil's mark--unless you would be hit by his arrows!

The drawing near to the appearance of evil--is the first step to the accomplishment of the most enormous evil. A spark--will easily catch a box of tinder on fire. Little streams--will find a passage to the great sea. Christian reader! Why should you venture on slippery places--when you can scarcely stand upon the firmest ground? Who will pity that man whose house is blown up with gun-powder--if he stores it in the chimney corner?

Such is the monstrous wickedness of men, that though the streams and currents of their own lusts carry them too swiftly already--yet they hoist up sails to catch the devil's winds!

The fowler spreads his net--but the wings of the bird carry her into it! If you would not step into the harlot's house--you should not go by the harlot's door! If you would not gather the forbidden fruit--then beware how you look on the luscious tree!

To pray against temptations, and yet to rush into occasions to sin--is to thrust your fingers into the fire--and then pray that they might not be burnt! If you hold the stirrup for him--no wonder if Satan get into the saddle!

"Watch and pray--so that you will not fall into temptation." Matthew 26:41. That man who is the most watchful--is the least sinful. A soul without its watch--is like a city without its wall, exposed to the attack of all its enemies!

Those who would not fall into the river--should beware how they approach too near to its banks. He who crushes the egg--need not fear the biting of the serpent. He who would not drink of the wine of divine wrath--let him not touch the cup of sinful pleasure.

A person who carries gun-powder with him--can never stand too far from the fire. If we accompany sin one mile--it will compel us to go two. Sin swells like Elijah's cloud, from the size of a man's hand to such an expansion, as to cover the whole sky.

"Let him who thinks he stands--take heed, lest he fall." 1 Corinthians 10:12. You will quickly lose your standing--if you are fearless of falling.
~ ~ ~ ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back