1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

How to survive a heart attack when alone?

Discussion in 'Sports, Games and Health' started by Jeffin, Mar 21, 2007.

1. How to survive a heart attack when alone?

I was forwarded this by a friend and He said its really important I share it. It was a powerpoint presentation and since it cannot be attached here in that format, I've copied the text and pasted it here.

HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE?

SINCE MANY PEOPLE ARE ALONE WHEN THEY SUFFER A HEART ATTACK, WITHOUT HELP, THE PERSON WHOSE HEART IS BEATING IMPROPERLY AND WHO BEGINS TO FEEL FAINT, HAS ONLY ABOUT 10 SECONDS LEFT BEFORE LOSING CONSCIOUS.

ANSWER:
    DO NOT PANIC, BUT START COUGHING REPEATEDLY AND VERY VIGOROUSLY.

A DEEP BREATH SHOULD BE TAKEN BEFORE EACH COUGH, THE COUGH MUST BE DEEP AND PROLONGED, AS WHEN PRODUCING SPUTUM FROM DEEP INSIDE THE CHEST.

A BREATH AND A COUGH MUST BE REPEATED ABOUT EVERY TWO SECONDS WITHOUT LET-UP UNTIL HELP ARRIVES, OR UNTIL THE HEART IS FELT TO BE BEATING NORMALLY AGAIN.

DEEP BREATHS GET OXYGEN INTO THE LUNGS AND COUGHING MOVEMENTS SQUEEZE THE HEART AND KEEP THE BLOOD CIRCULATING. THE SQUEEZING PRESSURE ON THE HEART ALSO HELPS IT REGAIN NORMAL RHYTHM. IN THIS WAY, HEART ATTACK VICTIMS CAN GET TO A HOSPITAL.

2. Good post.

Getting to a hospital as fast as possible will prevent further damage to the heart after experiencing an attack.

The longer it takes, the more damage will be done.

Heart attacks can be extremely painfull but not all heart attacks are painfull, one can have a heart attack and not know about it at all untill fainting starts.

Be aware of funny feelings in the left arm and neck area.

3. that is really helpful.. i came upon such a situation a month ago... and no one was around... that was really scary... and i didn`t know what to do... :confused:

4. Also, take one aspirin a day.

5. are you serious? ain`t that gonna effect you anyhow?...:eek:

6. INLJ, What???
    Sorry, I don't understand :eek:

7. If you take an aspirin when you expierience chest pain it will generally thin your blood and make it easier to circulate especially if the is a partial clog-it may save you life !

8. Yes, Larry, that is what I was trying to say~:eek:

9. Sorry Violet, i just meant that if you take one aspirin a day without having any heart pain, it`s no good for you... you can`t take antibiotics unless you need `em... that`s what i meant, sorry:rolleyes:

10. I understand, but my Dr. did tell me to take an aspirin a day, maybe because of my age?

11. doctors probably know better then us:rolleyes:

12. drink 2 beers a night lol.i like my blood thinner.

13. Red wine is good for your heart but beer?

14. beer is good for my heart,lol.when my time is up i will go peacefully.hopefully i will be fast asleep and not wake .

15. Well, I have read studies on beer and it does reduce strokes in women, helps your heart and so on.
    The problem is it is empty calories and causes that ugly beer belly AND a person has to have self control.

16. That's some good advice, but I think first priority should probably be to call 911! An also, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure ;) Healthy eating and exercise is wayyy underrated in the US today.

17. you have to stay alive to call the phone #-:)

18. Healthy eating all along is the best advice.
    BUT......if we haven't always done this, then we can be at risk.
    It is never too late to start a healthy diet and exercise.
    We can unclog our arteries and prevent heart muscle damage which is irreversible.

19. Acutally it is no longer irreversible- here is a qoute from brother James:

20. This is wonderful news but too late for my 4 precious Uncles who died within 3-4 years of each other....all from bad hearts.