How To Highlight, Underline And Keep Notes

Honestly, I don't get bored, Jesus said the volume of the Book was written about Him, so I try to find Him hidden in the obscure places, my problem is I'm so busy I don't have the time to study like I would and when I do have the time it seems I'm too tired to, ...I live in a third world country and it's wake up, go to work, come home eat, go to bed and it's repeated like that almost every day.

The book of Joshua is a story, an illustration of our daily lives, as born again children of God we are living in the Promised Land, Moses, who is a type of the Law, couldn't lead the people in, so Joshua was the one that did, the name Jesus in the Hebrew is Joshua, that should open up many doors for you, also, the people living in the land that were to be exterminated, if you look up the meaning of their names you will find it is a characteristic of the flesh that we need to crucify and the names of their gods are the temptations the devil uses against us.

You say you have eSword, what study aids did you download?

Blessings,

Gene
I have most of the commentaries, 19 translations, 14 dictionaries, and a few daily devotions. I haven't used the devotions because I'm already reading Jesus Calling by Sarah Young, but I use everything else. Any suggestions?

Also, I have decided that I would like to use symbols instead of highlighting. Highlighting is a little distracting to me while I'm reading and I think symbols on the side of the text would look cleaner. Now I just need to figure out what symbols to use and what to use them for. I know this is a personal thing but I wish someone had a PDF file with how to do this. For whatever reason, the idea of me having to create a list of the symbols and what they mean is giving me a lot of anxiety. I over analyze things a lot and I feel like if I sit down and try to do this I'm going to either end up with 500 symbols or no symbols and only stress.

We use Morning and Evening by Spurgeon, seems to really speak to us, this is our second year of using it.

LOL

"For whatever reason, the idea of me having to create a list of the symbols and what they mean is giving me a lot of anxiety. I over analyze things a lot and I feel like if I sit down and try to do this I'm going to either end up with 500 symbols or no symbols and only stress."

You have said it, you are over complicating things, Jesus said we are to become like little children, all I can offer is to ask yourself. ...how complicated is your children's relationship with you?

So you forget some things, I have too, but Father is faithful to bring them to our remembrance when they are needed, ...truthfully, when I have gone back and read the things I have posted, because I receive an alert, I'm blown away, I ask myself, ...did I say that, ...I guess so, it's in my post, so I'll offer you the advice my pastor gave me, you just need to let go and let God work in your life, there is even a book written with that title and he gave me a copy, sure gave me the peace and calmness I needed in my life and walk with Him, here is another tidbit of advice if you don't mind, there are a lot of posters here that know a lot about the Word, but know very little about walking with the Lord of the Word, ...big difference, one is head knowledge and the other is heart knowledge, one is what we have learned with our intellect and the other is learned from obeying in faith what Father has whispered in our hearts (and Father doesn't waste His time, there are always lessons to be learned from stepping out in faith, but He won't teach us until we react in faith to what He has told us to do, then there will be a second step, with a lesson and a third, with a lesson and a fourth with a lesson and so on for the rest of our lives, that's why it's written four times, the just shall live by faith, ....look at the life of Peter, Jesus told him to do things in faith he was familiar with and the results were phenomenal, but then He told him to step out of the boat and walk on water, which he obeyed but then doubted, he learned the lesson to trust Jesus completely, so much so we read he was sleeping when Herod intended to kill him, Phil 4:7 Peter had learned his lesson, always trust what Jesus said even through the storms, ...Jesus told him he would die by crucifixion and not the sword).

Here's a simple little test, ...Paul teaches we can call Father Abba, both Jesus and Paul used this term, it's how your young children address you, papa, daddy, even dada, now, ...just like your children are close and endeared to you, are you/we that close/endeared to Abba (papa) to feel comfortable calling Him that? Do you see how that ties in with what Jesus said about becoming like little children?

The just shall live by faith.

Lord bless, goodnight,

Gene

This may be a stupid question, but I'm still a baby in Christ so I will ask it anyway.

I do not mark in my bibles because I know I would make a mess. I would highlight stuff and then regret it later. So, I keep my phone or tablet next to me and every time I would like to highlight something or add a note or underline, I just put it on my bible app. That way I can change it later if I need to and I don't have to worry about how much space I have to write. I also do this so that I have everything in one place and don't have to worry about transferring notes or anything.

Well, I've been doing all this highlighting on my phone and E-Sword and I have a mess. I highlight everything the same color although I have different colors to choose from. I try to underline verses I have questions about for later study. I just don't have a system. I want everything to be organized and I'm not really sure how to do it.

Does anyone have a system that they can share with me so that I can feel more organized? I'm starting to feel kind of stressed about it because I want to dig deep and study my heart out but I feel like I'm being restricted because I'm not organized.

Thanks for the help,
David
I almost never open the paper version of the word of God. I used to have inches of papers where I write my notes and then copy them to computer so I can search them later, now I just go right to the computer from the start. This way I can copy verses from versions of the bible including Hebrew and Greek words or comments, right into my study. Also, I can go back to them when I find another nugget and insert it into that study. This way I can highlight or bold or underline anything I wish. Before computers I would use a color system where blue was prophecy, red about Jesus, yellow as warnings and green for victorious living, and I would underline, circle, etc. So I have several bibles because they'd get full with notes. So, there's a saying I heard once that applies in this case:

A worn out bible is a sign of one who is not.

:D

We use Morning and Evening by Spurgeon, seems to really speak to us, this is our second year of using it.

LOL

"For whatever reason, the idea of me having to create a list of the symbols and what they mean is giving me a lot of anxiety. I over analyze things a lot and I feel like if I sit down and try to do this I'm going to either end up with 500 symbols or no symbols and only stress."

You have said it, you are over complicating things, Jesus said we are to become like little children, all I can offer is to ask yourself. ...how complicated is your children's relationship with you?

So you forget some things, I have too, but Father is faithful to bring them to our remembrance when they are needed, ...truthfully, when I have gone back and read the things I have posted, because I receive an alert, I'm blown away, I ask myself, ...did I say that, ...I guess so, it's in my post, so I'll offer you the advice my pastor gave me, you just need to let go and let God work in your life, there is even a book written with that title and he gave me a copy, sure gave me the peace and calmness I needed in my life and walk with Him, here is another tidbit of advice if you don't mind, there are a lot of posters here that know a lot about the Word, but know very little about walking with the Lord of the Word, ...big difference, one is head knowledge and the other is heart knowledge, one is what we have learned with our intellect and the other is learned from obeying in faith what Father has whispered in our hearts (and Father doesn't waste His time, there are always lessons to be learned from stepping out in faith, but He won't teach us until we react in faith to what He has told us to do, then there will be a second step, with a lesson and a third, with a lesson and a fourth with a lesson and so on for the rest of our lives, that's why it's written four times, the just shall live by faith, ....look at the life of Peter, Jesus told him to do things in faith he was familiar with and the results were phenomenal, but then He told him to step out of the boat and walk on water, which he obeyed but then doubted, he learned the lesson to trust Jesus completely, so much so we read he was sleeping when Herod intended to kill him, Phil 4:7 Peter had learned his lesson, always trust what Jesus said even through the storms, ...Jesus told him he would die by crucifixion and not the sword).

Here's a simple little test, ...Paul teaches we can call Father Abba, both Jesus and Paul used this term, it's how your young children address you, papa, daddy, even dada, now, ...just like your children are close and endeared to you, are you/we that close/endeared to Abba (papa) to feel comfortable calling Him that? Do you see how that ties in with what Jesus said about becoming like little children?

The just shall live by faith.

Lord bless, goodnight,

Gene

I don't have kids yet, unfortunately. My wife really wants them but we're having a lot of trouble having one. I imagine that it would be fairly simple. They would look to me and my wife for their needs, which is what we should do with Christ.

I have a good amount of trust in the Lord. I won't lie and say that I'm where I should be, but I'm working on it every day. I spend more time praying now than I used to. Every day I feel like I'm growing in Christ.

I do call him "dad" on occasion. I find it strange though because I call my earthly father "dad" as well. I know that my earthly father's name, but since I never call him anything else it kind of seems like it. Maybe I should call Him Abba since I won't see my earthly father's face with that word like I do "dad."

I almost never open the paper version of the word of God. I used to have inches of papers where I write my notes and then copy them to computer so I can search them later, now I just go right to the computer from the start. This way I can copy verses from versions of the bible including Hebrew and Greek words or comments, right into my study. Also, I can go back to them when I find another nugget and insert it into that study. This way I can highlight or bold or underline anything I wish. Before computers I would use a color system where blue was prophecy, red about Jesus, yellow as warnings and green for victorious living, and I would underline, circle, etc. So I have several bibles because they'd get full with notes. So, there's a saying I heard once that applies in this case:

A worn out bible is a sign of one who is not.

:D

I do all of my studying on my phone or computer. I don't really see a reason to write notes on my physical bible since everything can be much more organized on the computer. The main reason I want to do the symbol thing is so that I'm having to analyze verses a bit more while I'm reading. I feel like it would help me stay focused since my mind wanders so much all the time.

"I don't have kids yet, unfortunately. My wife really wants them but we're having a lot of trouble having one. I imagine that it would be fairly simple. They would look to me and my wife for their needs, which is what we should do with Christ."

Here's a story for you, ...I have a dear brother in the States that he and his wife tried and tried to have kids all to no avail, so they decided to look into adopting, the were quickly accepted and were shown the pictures of the children available, the both fell in love with a young girl of 8 years, when they told the lady they would like to meet her the ladies face fell and she began to tear up, both of them being Christians immediately went into the compassion mode and asked the lady what was wrong, she told them the girl they had chosen was a darling, well mannered child and lots of people had wanted to adopt her, but there was a problem, her parents were both killed in a car accident and they had left instruction that their children were not be separated if anything happened to them and the judge was honoring their request, ...she had two sisters, one 6 years old and the other 10 years old, the others that wanted to adopt her wouldn't take her sisters too, ...Don told the lady they would think about it and give her their response, they went to a nearby park and prayed and they both knew Father was telling them to take all three, the State of California gave them all three and I can tell you they were wonderful well mannered girls that are growing in the Grace and knowledge of our Lord, ...but that's not the end of the story, about fifteen months after the adoption was final they welcomed a baby boy into their family with three big sisters to take care of him and show him love.

The moral of the story, ...we are created in the image of God, that means we have the ability to create through procreation, if that is not happening naturally then I suggest you talk with Father as to what His plans are for your lives, you never know, there might be a child or children waiting for Christian parents, I hope you consider it in prayer.

Blessings and may you draw closer to Father on this Lord's day,

Gene

"I don't have kids yet, unfortunately. My wife really wants them but we're having a lot of trouble having one. I imagine that it would be fairly simple. They would look to me and my wife for their needs, which is what we should do with Christ."

Here's a story for you, ...I have a dear brother in the States that he and his wife tried and tried to have kids all to no avail, so they decided to look into adopting, the were quickly accepted and were shown the pictures of the children available, the both fell in love with a young girl of 8 years, when they told the lady they would like to meet her the ladies face fell and she began to tear up, both of them being Christians immediately went into the compassion mode and asked the lady what was wrong, she told them the girl they had chosen was a darling, well mannered child and lots of people had wanted to adopt her, but there was a problem, her parents were both killed in a car accident and they had left instruction that their children were not be separated if anything happened to them and the judge was honoring their request, ...she had two sisters, one 6 years old and the other 10 years old, the others that wanted to adopt her wouldn't take her sisters too, ...Don told the lady they would think about it and give her their response, they went to a nearby park and prayed and they both knew Father was telling them to take all three, the State of California gave them all three and I can tell you they were wonderful well mannered girls that are growing in the Grace and knowledge of our Lord, ...but that's not the end of the story, about fifteen months after the adoption was final they welcomed a baby boy into their family with three big sisters to take care of him and show him love.

The moral of the story, ...we are created in the image of God, that means we have the ability to create through procreation, if that is not happening naturally then I suggest you talk with Father as to what His plans are for your lives, you never know, there might be a child or children waiting for Christian parents, I hope you consider it in prayer.

Blessings and may you draw closer to Father on this Lord's day,

Gene
Yeah, we've talked about adopting if we aren't able to have children. We aren't at a place to really do it at the moment but it will definitely be our plan if we don't have any by 30.

Anywho. I did draw out some symbols today but I'm not sure if I'll use them. I'm trying to decide what topics I'd like to do.

Back