1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

how reliable is Amazon?

Discussion in 'Technology and Internet' started by 福井舞, Feb 13, 2015.

1. does anyone here knows the stuffs you see Amazon sells, non books items I mean , such as sunscreens etc. when you buy those items new, are you actually buying from Amazon? I mean do they purchase those products from those companies and then sell to us, or do they operate more like Ebay, they are just providing a platform for sellers to sell their stuffs? if so, are you aware Amazon have the same problem as Ebay, ie counterfeit items etc?
  2. From what I can tell, here are a variety of schemes used by Amazon. Many items are sold by a smaller supplier and Amazon is only the web front. The same supplier may also have its own site not associated with Amazon. Some suppliers will have Amazon stock their items at one or more of its facilities. These items are usually marked such as "sold by Xxx; fullfilled by Amazon".

I have noticed that some sellers seem to take greater liberties with the payment/shipping process:

My suspicion is that when they print a shipping label, your credit card purchase is finalized and the order marked "shipped", but it sometimes seems to take a weekday or two before the package is scanned at the shipping company.

As far as quality or integrity problems beyond the above liberties, I haven't noticed any. I suspect Amazon is diligent with policing its suppliers, but with a large & complex operation there can be problems.
  3. They use third party companies. Whenever you purchase anything, incoming some books; there is a chance that the product has come from another company.
    Amazon work as the distributor and not the manufacturer.
    Most of the companies that Amazon use are good.
    There should be a section called (roughly) seller info...this tells you where the product is coming from. It's worth checking it out.
  4. If it says fulfilled by Amazon.com, I would not be worried at all. Amazon also has this concept where people can setup their stores and it would get listed while people search for products. For such things, you will see "fulfilled by XX". You need to look at the reviews of the seller in such cases. Still, Amazon would help in lost shipments and so on. If there is an option, I would go for products directly sold by Amazon.
  5. I believe some of the stuff comes from Amazon, and some from other vendors. They do guarantee the products they sale and all the products their vendors sale also.
  6. Yes I think this is so. I have purchased many items through Amazon and I have had no issue.
  7. I actually bought a Bible once from there, very efficient service. :)
  8. I was an Amazon seller. Just make sure you check history of seller.
    JG27_chili likes this.
  9. That's sound advice.
    Where is the Messiah likes this.
  10. I have no issues with them. I like their prime because it pays for itself in free shipping...
    Fish_of_Faith likes this.
  11. Love amazon, since I live in alaska, shipping is ridiculous up here. With prime, free shipping paid for itself with my first order. I even get free return shipping, even if it is my mistake. We have some friends who buy their dog food from amazon because it is cheaper than Costco.
  12. We've had very few problems shopping with Amazon.

We don't consider Prime to be particularly good value for money and don't use it. Our reasoning is:

a) We feel some of the money would be going towards a music/video service we have zero interest in.

b) I'd estimate that 50% of our purchases are not available on Prime.

c) I often find seem to find a cheaper non Prime offer for items we want.

d) For the remainder, we're usually happy to wait 3-5 days for free delivery.
    JG27_chili likes this.
  13. Also, Prime in the UK is £79. I'm not sure but I've a feeling it's $79 (£51) in the US. I don't know if other prices have changed since a Daily Mail article I've just read was written but it quotes: UK £79, Germany and France £36, Spain £11 and Italy £7.50. So it at least appears its value for money can be quite dependant on where you live.
  14. It's expensive here in the UK. Amazon caught me out by signing me up to Prime when I didn't want it; I complained and got a refund.

Just be careful on what you purchase and read the terms and conditions.
  15. I pay 79 yearly for amazon prime for the past 3 years and love it. I get free shipping and amazon music has songs I don't have to pay for. Also I have movies in the cloud that I purchase that I can watch anytime. Not to mention a number of free movies if you are into the movie thing.
  16. In which case @LanceA, you would benefit greatly from the Prime service. :)
    LanceA likes this.
  17. Sure, as well as where you live (At the current conversion rate, if Lance was paying UK pirces, it would be $121), what one wants out of it will affect things. On the free delivery side (the only part that could interest me), I've just had a look at my last 10 orders. The breakdown was:

4/10 had the Prime option. Of those 4
    2/4 were cheaper "elsewhere" - compared to the Prime deals, the combined totals were £40 vs £45. The "free" Prime would have cost me an extra £5.
    2/4 I used the slow free delivery.
  18. A thought though re my own breakdown. Perhaps I tend to be a little less "mainstream" with things I want and maybe that affects the % of items I find available on Prime. I believe other sellers do use Amazon's distribution (and presumably Prime?) but things like wheelbarrow tyre and inner tube, clear IP55 rated switch cover, etc. are not what you'd think of as Amazon's own normal stock holding?
  19. Amazon is the free market at work. Sure, there's going to be some shady characters out there, but in general, Amazon, and more importantly, the Amazon community, tend to weed those out pretty quickly.
  20. I honestly haven't ordered anything from Amazon. I don't have an account either. I'm actually quite hesitant to order something from internet even though my friends said it was safe.