1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

How Might Having An Oversensitive Conscience Work Against You In Your Christian Walk?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ChrisRyan, Sep 7, 2013.

1. One of the most often heard and misunderstood sentiments is this—“Who am I to judge?” Today, accusing someone of being “judgmental” has become one of the worst things you can say to another human being. But has “judging” received an undeserved bad reputation? I believe God’s Word teaches that in certain contexts God expects and demands that we judge.
    Major and Mr. Darby say Amen and like this.
  2. Hi,

It depends how you do it.
    Roads and one past midnight say Amen and like this.
  3. Yes i agree, Paul reminded us to judge, and reminded us not yet to judge.

There are things that man rational can judge now,i.e.: Natural Law*
    There are things that man wisdom cannot yet judge.i.e.: Eternal Law

4. It's not that we shouldn't judge, it's that we shouldn't judge by a standard we wouldn't want to judged by.

Matthew 7:2 NKJV

For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.
  5. Your right Chris,

"You're judging me!" has become the cry of today's emerging church, the faith/prosperity church, the kingdom now church and the apostolic revival group, ...so who's right?

First off let's clear up Matt 7, Jesus clearly taught He was addressing hypocrites, Matt 7:5,

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye,

so if anyone is accusing someone else of the same sin they are practicing, then Jesus calls them hypocrites, ...the fact that what the saw in the other person was the same thing, i.e. wood, teaches that because we see another person's faults is because we are practicing the same thing. Rom 2:1

Jesus again teaches us to judge with righteous judgement, John 7:24,

Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

The first word He used is krino which means to distinguish, that is, decide (mentally or judicially); by implication to try, condemn, punish, Strong's definition #G2919.

The second word, judgement is krisis which means to judge (Subjectively or objectively, for or against); by extension a tribunal; by implication justice (specifically divine law) Strong's definition #G2920

Not only did Jesus teach us to judge, but also Paul tell us to judge, 1 Cor 5:12, 6:2, and James did judge, James 4:4, so when we look at what Jesus said we find we are to judge in a righteous manner and that word is dikaios and it means equitable (in character or act); by implication innocent, holy (absolutely or relatively) Strong's definition #G1342, putting it all together the only way we can judge and meet the requirements given is to use the Word of God to judge with, only if we aren't hypocrites or being hypocritical,

...why are we to judge, to protect ourselves from false teaching or if their is sin in the church and then it must be done in humility and love, so that the guilty person can be restored.

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Matt 7:15-16

For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed, In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. 1 Cor 5:3-5

Major likes this.
  6. The Scripture says that we (Believers) will judge angels.

What do you think the standard for them will be?
  7. So... Contextually... 1 Corinthians 6 (where we are told we will judge angels) has a more to do with seeking judgment outside of the Church (community of believers). Paul was shocked that members of the Church were seeking judgment and filing lawsuits against one another in the courts rather than going to the leadership of the local church. Everywhere else where judging angels is mentioned, it's the Lord, or Christ doing the judging. Perhaps this is indicative that a community of believers, honestly judging on a spirit of prayer and solemn trust in the Spirit will be capable of judging to the same standards as Christ. Which returns us to the original issue.

My favorite illustration of good christian judgment is Matthew 18:15-20
  8. It's not only outside of the community of believers, more importantly it's outside of our time-space continuum, and since this is the only reference to this practice we can't use it to form doctrine, basically, it's for the future and we can't really say with authority what Paul meant by it and we won't know until we arrive there.

9. Um... I was talking about the whole passage, which is exactly about seeking judgment outside the community, not the specific verse where Paul is espousing how worthy the community of the Church is (when operating in Christ) of settling all the arguments being taken to court.
  10. Okay, I'm with you now, and what you referenced in Matt 18 is good and the way judging should be handled in the church, and in using Matt 7:2 the only way we can judge and be judged by the same measure is with the Word of God, ...qualified by we aren't judging hypocritically.

Too bad more churches don't use it.

Major and Brewdaddy say Amen and like this.
  11. Most simply failed their language class by mistaking condemning for judging. If God didn't want us to judge He wouldn't give us a brain or open our eyes to the truth, He would make us at a monkey's intelligence.
    Major and Brewdaddy say Amen and like this.
  12. In reference to Oversensitive Conscience, among Roman Catholics it is called "scrupulosity", the bad habit of putting too much importance on nit picky rules. Some folks tend to get caught up in trivia and miss the whole point of the Christian walk.

As to judging, what Christ implied was that judging is proper as long as God's standard is used to judge by and not our own. And as mentioned above judge != condemn.
  13. Indeed, we are always supposed to judge actions from right or wrong, prudent or imprudent, just or unjust, etc. etc.
    If we don't, then we aren't being mature in our thinking.

Matthew 7:1-3 doesn't contradict that we are to judge actions. When we slip into judging people themselves, it means we aren't using proper criteria.

If my friend does something that I know is absolutely wrong, it's my duty as a Christian and a friend to tell him that what he's doing is wrong. In fact, I would be in the wrong for not telling him. However, this doesn't mean I am judging him--rather, it is charitable to tell him he is a far better person than to do the wrong thing and that he should stop.

But the ultimate divide is being hypocritical in judgement, which I think is the heart of Matthew 7:1-3.
    Major likes this.
  14. I find all the replies here good and interesting, but Riah, I have to say, I admire your simplicity. There is a certain power to it and it leaves room for some mystery.
  15. Not really my friend. The act of believers judging is not new to the New Test church.

Daniel 7:22.....
    "Until the Ancient of Days came and judgment was given to the saints of the most high and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom".

The Corinthian believer knew that because it was an elementary truth. Paul had introduced the subject of judging in chapter 5 of 1 Corth. He established that the responsibility fro judging sin lies with the church. Now in chapter 6 he is showing that even in civil matters the responsibility lies with the local church.
  16. I'm not entirely sure what point you're arguing against... your point is very good, but I don't understand how you're correcting or countering anything I said...
  17. I was not argueing with you. You are in fact correct.

I was only saying that believers have been judging in and out of the community they lived in for a long time.
  18. The language, "not really my friend" implys that you are arguing.
  19. Now that is your opinion! To me it is just a way of saying that we are friends.
  20. I also have to agree with one past midnight that this is an insightful response. The word "judge" has multiple meanings in English: it can mean to use sound judgement, or it can mean to condemn. Say my friend is gambling himself into poverty. I can use my judgement to see that he's living a self-destructive life, out of keeping with Biblical teaching. I can approach him in this matter in judgment of his decisions, but without condemnation.

In which case, the answer to, "Who are you to judge me?" is "Your brother, who loves you."
    Major likes this.