1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

how many of you considers yourself a feminist?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by 福井舞, Jan 3, 2015.

1. why and why not?
  2. I believe that the term "feminist" has very different meanings in different cultures and countries. You should first define what do you mean by that :)
    Cinderella8, Ravindran, Silk and 1 other person say Amen and like this.
  3. sign....

actually, I just read this article about infighting between different feminists online, because everyone seem to have different definition of what it entails...

I guess I am not asking whether you feel you fit into the "objective" definition of a feminist, because there is no such thing.

just whether or not you consider yourself one, and why? :)
  4. I am a woman and so I think? from that point of view and tend to speak from it. I think men and women have different roles to play and should complement each other but often don't. I like being a woman and like it when men are men. I don't like either condescending or patronizing another from either gender. I don't like to be brushed off because I am a woman. I'm not offended when someone posts, thinking I'm male :giggle: - I don't always look at profiles either. I got this from a long ago post of @Brother Paul - he said "we are all equal at the foot of the cross."
    Cinderella8, JG27_chili, Prunelle and 3 others say Amen and like this.
  5. Ooops, I posted this in wrong thread - so putting it where it should have gone.
    Or maybe Bro Paul said, "it's all level at the foot of the cross". Silk <-----age setting in and destroying memory.
    Cinderella8 and Ravindran say Amen and like this.
  6. I think below verse addresses the question directly

Galatians 3:28 - There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus

Once I head Ravi Zacharias state this - responsibility is not same as equality. Most of the modern feminist movements mix these 2. They are not. They are different! In my house, me and my wife have different responsibilities. God will hold us accountable for those. That does not mean something is greater than other.
    Cinderella8, JG27_chili, Prunelle and 2 others say Amen and like this.
  7. You asked...
    how many of you considers yourself a feminist?
    I consider myself a Christian.. OO00oops!.......I am a Christian
    Ravindran and Silk say Amen and like this.
  8. Within reason. I am 100% against Islam's treatment of woman. I feel scripture does a good job of highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of both sexes. God clearly made two different creations. Taking a monkey out the tree and making them walk like a dog causes devolution.
  9. The best way of thinking about feminism is that it is the recognition that value disparity between genders (i.e., males are perceived as more valuable than females) exists in various forms throughout our society, and the recognition of the need to seek solutions to address that problem.

The "infighting" between feminists often occurs when there is differing opinion on what constitutes value disparity between genders, what form that disparity takes, and what the solution is. It is often perceived that there needs to be a united front among feminists about these, so when there is difference in opinion, people with opposing viewpoints can sometimes regard each other as counter-productive to the solution (sometimes people will be accused of being "not a real feminist," etc).

I volunteer with an organisation that hosts discussion forums about domestic violence with high school students. This organisation also provides counseling for survivors and perpetrators of domestic violence. When providing counseling for male perpetrators of dv, they found that their attitudes toward gender roles were the core of the problem: they'd believed it was okay to be violent toward the victim because of how they perceived their role, and the victim's role.

I consider myself a feminist because I want to be a part of solving domestic violence instead of being a bystander to it. Most of the work, though, I do as a "feminist" actually involves talking to groups of teenage boys about what it means to be a man, and building respectful relationships without using violence or other means of control and manipulation.
    claret, Silk and KingJ says Amen and like this.
  10. If feminist means I believe that women have equal value to men and deserve the same amount of love as anyone else -- and no more than that -- then sure, feel free to say I'm a feminist.

If it means that women are equal in sameness, then I'm not. Men and women are not the same. Each have different gifts to offer that the other cannot have. I will never have the same sort of bond that a mother and child can have in the purest sense with my own children. That said, as a man, I am responsible as sort of reining dominion over the household and leading my family to Christ.

No gender, in essence, is anymore powerful than the other or even any better. But just like how four quarters has equal value to a single dollar bill, they are not the same and have different uses.

The way modernists have used the word feminist, I am most definitely not that. Sadly, feminist culture has displayed crassness, horrible aggression, and hypocrisy.
    福井舞 likes this.
  11. On a lighter note, most of the guys are feminist.. I can be sure most of the guys can agree with this.. We all liked our moms a little more than our dads :D
    Silk likes this.
  12. I could not agree with you more.

I am 100% for women's equality.

but the problem with "many" modern feminist these days, many of them seem to "claim" they want equality, but in reality, when you look closely at their arguments, it really came across like " I want what I want, screw it when it come to whether it is fair to the opposite gender"

and many of them wonder why not more men are "answering the calls" to support the so called feminist movement?
  13. I agree, domestic violence is not acceptable in any sense of the word.

but on the opposite of the spectrum, I think some women do take advantage of the 'men should not hit women" idea and use it to bully men.

I recall this incidence I saw at a bar once, I think there were a group of co workers having a end of the year party or something. Anyway, there were an argument broke out between this guy and his female co worker, choice words were exchanged on both sides, and what do you know, she slapped him? despite he did not get physical with her before hand, nor after?

so yeah, if I witness a domestic incident, I would absolutely step in, but if I see a situation where the female was the aggressor and think she can took advantage or actively exploit the whole chivalrous thing?

sorry, she is on her own.

men bullying women are not ok, but the reverse is not acceptable either ( despite many want to make it seem that way. but I don't buy it).

I am so glad Whoopi Goldberg finally came out and address this issue.

like she said at the end of this video, if you don't want people to slap you, then don't try to slap them first ( without good reason), how about that?

but if you hit people as a way to exploit the whole male chivalrous thing and as a way of bullying? then yes, I agree with Whoopi, they have the right to slap you back and teach you some manners that your dad should have taught you while you growing up.
  14. Wonderful statement. :)
  15. Indeed; some supporters of feminism can display horrendous acts of aggression and alienation.
  16. Interesting question.
    I think..I would initially answer with Ravindrans observation and scripture..and also that I'm a christian first.

As a woman..of course I have a feminine viewpoint. But I didn't grow up when feminism became this big political cause. I was born the generation after and by that time...I guess what women won they also lost out and seem to be doing twice as much work as before when they were looked after by men as the sole providers. I don't know..it's all changed.

So I don't know how to answer your question. I would not label myself anything but christian.
    I think, women do find fufillment in being allowed to express all aspects of their humanity. Jesus certainly had high regard for women who were not seen as anything in traditional Jewish orthodox culture.
    The Bible does have specific gender roles in that he wants men and women to get along with each other, and treat each other as brothers and sisters and husbands and wives/brides and grooms if they are married to each other. So I think just go by what the Bible says in the new testament and don't worry to much about what the world says a woman should or shouldn't be.

Spiritually we are genderless..but you know it's interesting that God sent his only son...he didn't send a daughter. I think men are just a bit thicker than women because eve was made out of one rib whereas adam was made out of 100 pounds of clay. So we are more delicate and can't do all the heavy lifting. :)
  17. LOL!!!
  18. Teeheehee. (Silk: no...over there......ooops..or maybe over there):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
  19. Ideally, feminism supports the idea that neither gender in a respectful relationship is entitled to any form of manipulation, especially violence.
  20. Sometimes, I suspect the word "feminism" can get in the way of productive discussion about gender.

But I have observed that we do need to have that discussion, whatever we decide to name it: When I go into schools to talk about gender (like I mentioned before, I lead discussion days primarily with groups of young men to discuss what it means to be a man/building respectful relationships), I have noted that individuals with certain outlooks can have a conversation about gender with me in a respectful way, but if they have virtually the same conversation with one of my female colleagues, they can become defensive, make crude jokes, or call them names like "feminazi." That seems like a problem, to me!

I don't think feminism is a movement, or a culture, or a group. It is the name for the ways society is responding to misogyny and patriarchy.
    If you think misogyny and patriarchy still exist today in various forms throughout the world (local and abroad), and you have a problem with that, that's what feminism is. However, if using the word "feminism" absolutely blocks someone from being able to enter into a respectful discussion about gender, sometimes I recommend the term "anti-misogynist" as an alternative, if they prefer to think of themselves that way.

Hold a snapshot in your mind of the absolute worst that modern feminism has to offer, and hold that up against the absolute worst that modern misogyny and patriarchy have to offer, and I think you'll find there is a significant gap on the "crassness, horrible aggression, and hypocrisy" scale. And that's why whatever we name the conversation, it's a conversation we still need to have in many places in our society.
    Silk likes this.