How Is It...ye Do Not Understand?

Concerning the loaves of bread, fishes, baskets and leaven, how do we answer when He asks us.....

Mark 8:21 And He said unto them, How is it that ye do not understand?

Matthew 14:14-16 And Jesus went forth, and saw a great multitude, and was moved with compassion toward them, and He healed their sick. And when it was evening, His disciples came to Him, saying, This is a desert place, and the time is now past; send the multitude away, that they may go into the villages, and buy themselves victuals. But Jesus said unto them, They need not depart; give ye them to eat.

Some may believe, as the disciples wrongly believed, that in a time of gathering darkness...as the end of this age nears, the time is past for multitudes of people to hear God's word...just send them away and let them "buy and sell," which is to take the mark of the beast [Rev.13:17].

Give YE them to eat...feed My sheep, feed My lambs, feed My sheep.

Jesus wants us, His disciples/witnesses/servants to "give ye them to eat," when they hunger for knowledge of Him.

14:17-19 And they say unto Him, We have here but five loaves, and two fishes. He said, Bring them hither to Me. And He commanded the multitude to sit down on the grass, and took the five loaves, and the two fishes, and looking up to heaven, He blessed, and brake, and gave the loaves to His disciples, and the disciples to the multitude.

He feeds the disciples, for they have ears to hear and they in turn....Feed My sheep, feed My Lambs....manna, the bread of heaven. [John 21:15-18] It is interesting to see that He gave the disciples to the multitude!

Five loaves of bread are symbolic of Christ who is The Word of God...the five are the Torah, the Books of Moses...Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. The number five speaks of "grace, heavenly favour and love."

Understanding of the manna is given to the disciples and they are then given to feed the multitudes. Who are the "two fish?" As the number two represents "Witness, division/ duality, difference," I see two possibilities...

1. Moses and Elijah. We are to feed God's Word, using His Words as given us through Moses and Elijah, for they together represent the law and all of the prophets.

2. The witnesses...there are God's many two witnesses and there are many false witnesses. Are the "two fishes" the true and false witnesses that feed the multitudes?​

There is plenty for all who hunger but what of the fragments that are left?

14:20-21 And they did all eat, and were filled: and they took up of the fragments that remained twelve baskets full. And they that had eaten were about five thousand men, beside women and children.

Twelve baskets full of fragments? What are the fragments and what or who are the baskets that contain the fragments?

The number twelve represents "Perfect government or governmental perfection." It is just the right number for the job no matter what the literal number is. Such as twelve disciples...for they represent many more.

The perfect number of baskets could be the disciples or the tribes. The baskets hold the Word of the Lord for the multitudes.

Baskets #4711 - woven (4687) through the idea of extending; to scatter, i.e. sow - receive seed.

The twelve baskets today, as then, hold fragments of the seed/Word which is sown or scattered. The fragments are "the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy." [Luke 12:1] Wherever the multitude gathers to hear His Word, one must beware of the leaven...the fragments within the baskets.​

Back