How important is witnessing and making disciples in your life ?

well, I think we should at least mention Jesus, I mean it's not wrong to say his name and point out thats who we are saved by.

No I'm just saying that- It's just I don't know anybody saved through tv, I'm not discounting that there are probably some but I myself don't know anybody. Most of the stuff shown on tv is crap to be frank or promoting some kind of religion rather than true faith and gospel.
There might not be a lot good stuff on TV, but there also not a lot good stuff on the internet either, yet here we are preaching the Gospel through it. The Apostles could not have ever dreamed that a single person can type a message, and at the press of one button minister to more people then they could have in a life time.
Surely, this technology stuff can and is being used for God's Glory.

No I'm just saying that- It's just I don't know anybody saved through tv, I'm not discounting that there are probably some but I myself don't know anybody. Most of the stuff shown on tv is crap to be frank or promoting some kind of religion rather than true faith and gospel.

Religion on TV really goes get a bad rap, either through mainstream voices that discard religion as gullible, backward-thinking, or even bigoted. But then you also have the televangelists (which you were referring to) like Joel Osteen, Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart, and Peter Popoff -- their message is usually very misleading for the sake of scamming people. So when people think religion on TV, it's likely that a bad vibe from it all will follow.

But despite all of this, there have been incredible programs that have served as inspiration. For some, they may find programs like the 700 Club to be solid. For others, it may be the Journey Home w/ Marcus Grodi or Mother Angelica on EWTN. And then for others, it may be the show Wretched by Todd Friel. Granted, you probably won't find the same denominations turning in to each others', but each of these have offered something that televangelists haven't and countered the anti-Christian rhetoric we tend to hear.

Or even the internet. There are some incredible web programs, which has been a huge competitor for TV itself. I regularly tune into a channel called ChurchMilitant.TV

The great commission is Teaching, Baptising, Teaching, Mat 28:19-20. Many stop after the first "teaching" and leave them hanging and they die on the vine THINKING they're saved. The church is filled with perpetual babies and walking dead who think they're saved. Which is worse? Evangelism is only 1/5 of what is needed for a well rounded fully mature Christian, Eph 4:11. My problem with TV, print, and internet preachers is many only want money for the message God supposedly gives them. If I had a copy of every book, CD, DVD they push, I would ONLY work to pay for them. In 20 years, I know of only ONE guy who put all his stuff out there for FREE. Before that, Smith Wigglesworth gave all his royalties to charity. Rich Mullins died not knowing he was a multi-millionaire because he only wanted a salary - the mean value of American salary. If a "minister" wants to do God's work, then they should start with God and get Him to supply their "ministry" and stop being salesmen as prophesied, 2 Peter 2:3. That's all.

God speaks through His people who minister the gospel by means of television! God is using all media to reach the lost!
I have never heard or seen on any christian radio channel, nor on any christian TV channel, preach the true gospel of salvation.
A lot on say a sinner's prayer and give your heart to Jesus - a peculiarly American evangelical doctrine - not found in the New Testament.
The gospel of salvation that I can read for myself in my New Testament is clear and precise. A formula of obedience reinforced throughout the epistles over and over again.
This is what people in my neck of the woods preached to me. And I put Jesus to the test asking is this gospel true?
Jesus proved that his Word is true, and that the gospel of the New Testament that I was reading is the only truth worth knowing.
My salvation coincides exactly with the written Word and is confirmed by the work and the power of the Holy Spirit dwelling within me.
I have never ever heard a TV or radio evangelist preach the gospel that I can read in the Word of God for myself.
And if you are not preaching the Word of God, you are not leading people to Christ.

Last edited:
I have never heard or seen on any christian radio channel, nor on any christian TV channel, preach the true gospel of salvation.

I have, many times, if not nearly daily.

I have never ever heard a TV or radio evangelist preach the gospel that I can read in the Word of God for myself.
And if you are not preaching the Word of God, you are not leading people to Christ.

I guess that depends on who you are listening to.

Witnessing is always important.
What was not told to me was that witnessing begins at home. Sharing Christ with others isn't limited to words -- and in fact, may not even begin with words at all. I wasn't told that witnessing, in fact, may have nothing to do with speaking, especially when evaluating each person's gifts. But I especially hope to be a witness to my wife, as my wife has many times been a witness to me. I hope this is a clear response.
That is a great response. really got me into soul searching mode. So often for me in the past decade I focused so much in the outside world but so neglected my own family. That might have been a factor in my divorce 8 years ago. That was so devastating to my faith. I kept asking what I have done wrong. I felt so ashamed and overwhelmed with regret. If I can turn back the clock, I would put my family first, spend time with my 2 girls and my ex (none of them are believers). But at the time, I felt what I was doing was so right in putting ministry work first. I assume I have blindly followed Matthew 6:33. I believe God is teaching me now to love my family and He also showing me who I actually am - a deeply flawed individual. Action is stronger than word. After the turbulent years of post divorce, I am happy to say I and my ex are in good terms. I do not preach to her but just let the action do the witnessing.

Just read the bible. If people dont have the bible they gonna get a distorted message.
Thats why its so important to have a Bible on hand.
What the Queen did in england was give all her subjects a bible. Wow imagine if every household had a Bible.

What I find is that churches are incredibly stingy with the Bible. Some churches would rather tell jokes in sermons and have people watch them like some kind of show than be serious about Gods word. You are not going to get all of Gods word just by going to church, getting little soundbites, or on a website, or on tv. You are not going to get it from some knockoff paraphrased version of the Bible, or going into twenty different translations. people need to study for themselves and be actually reading Gods word and not treating it like some kind of hobby.

Well pauls advice to timothy was that he should have his family in order first..or was it if anyone desired to be a bishop or minister that they had to have order in their own household.

Thats why dont necessarily agree with YWAM sending really young people overseas thinking they spreading the gospel when they havent been grounded in their faith. They just in it for the overseas experience. When you young you zealous but you may not be wise.

I dont think its about numbers the apostles certainly didnt think that they had to blanket everyone with gospel and thats it. i never said anything bout internet or technology being not used I mean come on this girl who told me the gospel was online!! I'd never met her in person.

But just saying tv doesnt seem to be a good medium for spreading the gospel, as its just one way. Radio might be different as you can talk back live. But in my experience, there is no good gospel programs on tv not in my country anyway and most of it is trash from america which promotes a different gospel and a kind of churchianity. And come to think of it, christian radio that plays rock music is not IMHO honoring God its just a christianised version of secular music. i cant stand listening to any kind of rock esp if its purporting to be christian and wanting you to buy their merchandise. Nobody I know ever got converted through listening to 'christian'rock. But thats another topic.

Well pauls advice to timothy was that he should have his family in order first..or was it if anyone desired to be a bishop or minister that they had to have order in their own household.

Thats why dont necessarily agree with YWAM sending really young people overseas thinking they spreading the gospel when they havent been grounded in their faith. They just in it for the overseas experience. When you young you zealous but you may not be wise.

YWAM is exemplary in sending young, strong-in-the-faith people on missions. God is absolutely the best in providing wisdom for all Christians, young and old alike. What you are actually doing in your thinking, is being preferential, which is something God abhors and warns us against.

1 Timothy 4:12
Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity.

James 2:1
A Warning against Prejudice
My dear brothers and sisters, how can you claim to have faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ if you favor some people over others?

I dont think its about numbers the apostles certainly didnt think that they had to blanket everyone with gospel and thats it. i never said anything bout internet or technology being not used I mean come on this girl who told me the gospel was online!! I'd never met her in person.

But just saying tv doesnt seem to be a good medium for spreading the gospel, as its just one way. Radio might be different as you can talk back live. But in my experience, there is no good gospel programs on tv not in my country anyway and most of it is trash from america which promotes a different gospel and a kind of churchianity. And come to think of it, christian radio that plays rock music is not IMHO honoring God its just a christianised version of secular music. i cant stand listening to any kind of rock esp if its purporting to be christian and wanting you to buy their merchandise. Nobody I know ever got converted through listening to 'christian'rock. But thats another topic.

There is much that God blesses as His own work to the world through the gifts and talents of those in the Christian television production industry. Daystar is completely devoted to serving the Lord Jesus Christ in producing excellence in Christian programming. Stop decrying America. I am not American, but I appreciate how God is raising up American people of excellence to cry out the gospel message to the entire world.

It would be a good thing to get on board.

Speaking about Christ should be natural. He should be on our lips, both with and without trying.

>> Be prepared. The better you know Christ, the better witness. This will likely include knowing scripture, but a close personal relationship with the Lord is essential.

>> Coming from that close relationship with the Lord, should be your knowledge of what Christ has done in your life. Struggles you may have had that He saw you through, the peace you feel. A witness shares what he has personally experienced.

>> Have a strong prayer life. Confess your sins as soon as the Holy Spirit lays them upon your heart. Sharing must be done in His power, not yours. Unconfessed sin is an impediment to the Spirit working through you.

>> Remember, it is the Lord’s battle. You cannot make an unbeliever believe. It is the Lord that draws new believers, not Christians that push them.

>> Be of good reputation. Even if you are not saying “be a wonderful person, just like me”, the enemy will use any flaws that may have been noticed in your character to discredit your words.

>> Those around you should know you are a Christian. They should know this for two reasons.
1 The first is so that your life can be a witness to what living for Christ is.
2 The second reason is that it is much easier to talk about what Christ has done for you if they already know you are a believer. This doesn’t have to be overt or threatening. If you mention going to church; if they see you reading scripture during lunch then when the Holy Spirit leads you, there will not be a “coming out of the closet” feeling that the enemy sometimes uses.

>> As the Spirit leads (and prepares the potential brother), tell what Christ has done for you. From a spiritual standpoint, sinful actions are symptoms, not causes. Don’t be too concerned with fighting their sin. That’s not your responsibility. In reality, even if an unbeliever didn’t do any sinful actions, they would still be in need of Christ. Helping them fight their sin may be possible after they accept the Lord, but until they do, all they can do is sin.

>> You may be one of a series of events that work in another’s life to bring them to Christ. You are not responsible for results. You may not see the results.

>> Talk about what Christ has done for you, particularly in ways that may relate to the life of the potential convert.

>> If you think they ay be close to a decision, make sure you tell them that they must personally accept Christ and want Him to lead. If the person is coming to Christ because he realizes his sinful nature, make sure that they know that Christ has personally paid the price for that sin. If he is coming because he feels Christ’s love, make sure that he still knows that Christ paid the penalty for his sin and wants to work in their life.

>> If you are fortunate enough to be present when the convert gives his life to Christ, make sure that you encourage him to attend services and join a church. Ask him to come to church with you. Offer to study the Bible with him. You should also make sure they HAVE a Bible. If you cannot provide one, your church may be willing to help there.

>> Pray to the Lord on behalf of everyone you witness to.

>> In your prayerful meditation, review the events and ask the Holy Spirit to show you how to improve.

but I appreciate how God is raising up American people of excellence to cry out the gospel message to the entire world.
But does he? Most American preaching is unscriptural. Another gospel of no effect.
Not even the most fundamental most essential commandment to be water baptized by full immersion.
A display of initial obedience and submission to the Word and the commandment of Jesus himself.
Feel good preaching along with praise and worship music will not convert an unbeliever to the truth, the need to be able
to worship the Father in Spirit and in truth.

But does he?

Yes, He does, and we are very privileged to be chosen to be alive at this time in world history to see it.

Most American preaching is unscriptural. Another gospel of no effect.
Not even the most fundamental most essential commandment to be water baptized by full immersion.
A display of initial obedience and submission to the Word and the commandment of Jesus himself.
Feel good preaching along with praise and worship music will not convert an unbeliever to the truth, the need to be able

I think it may be necessary for you and others to prove that MOST American preaching is unscriptural. I believe that is only an opinion based on perhaps your own experience, but cannot be applied to most or all.

Even with a poor message, Holy Spirit can move people toward Jesus Christ like a hot knife through butter.

At my wife's old church, a little less than a year after I became a Christian I was baptized by full immersion. I wasn't supposed to be, but I showed such willingness to join the men in the water, that I ran and dove right in without question. Her pastor compared me to Peter. Another church that we attended, they too did full immersion.

The only church that I know of that doesn't do full immersion that we have attended is where we go now, but that is because it's a Lutheran church and they christen infants. They do however baptize in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I will allow my children to be christened and when they get older allow them the choice to do a full immersion baptism.

I am very excited to be joining this Lutheran church as it truly feels as though I am coming home.

Oh and please do not respond bashing Luthernism. I do not go around bashing other people's denominations like I have seen over the past few weeks. Allow people their choice of church, it just as they allow you your choice of church.

I am sitting in the surgery ward with my ex at this moment (7:49am). She will have her 2 nd surgery shortly for her breast cancer. I appreciate you all can remember her in your prayer.

Lord God, I lift up Josh's ex before you, that you would touch her body and bring great healing, swift recovery and complete wholeness to her, in the name of Jesus.

But does he? Most American preaching is unscriptural. Another gospel of no effect.

Just because a brother sees scripture in a different way does not mean they are false Christians, or false teachers. Each of us views the scripture in the framework of our own experiences as the Holy Spirit leads us.

Knowing what you believe, knowing the scriptural basis for those beliefs, and feeling confident is good. But, I enjoy many discussions with contrasting points of view. I do not make the mistake assuming that another viewpoint is necessarily unscriptural.

Paul wrote in 1st Corinthians Chapter 13:

9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part;
10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.
11 When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things.
12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. (NASB)

None of us know the full Truth. We must wait upon the establishment of His Kingdom, at which time we will know the Truth as intimately as He has known us all along. Undoubtedly there are things I am mistaken about. If I knew what they were and were convinced of an alternative view, my view would change. Until that happens, please be patient with me.

One preacher that had a great influence in me once pointed out that one definition of blasphemy is to attribute the works of God to Satan, or to attribute the works of Satan to God. He then discussed how members of the congregation were deriding churches that baptized differently, or held contrasting views concerning the charismatic gifts. He then said that whatever the differences in doctrine are, Christ was working in those congregations. He then repeated his definition of blasphemy and looked around the congregation very sternly.

As far as baptism by immersion is concerned, I am pleased to have been baptized in a manner that symbolizes the death, burial and resurrection and thus recognizes that I am spiritually a new being. But, I do not term sprinkling to be disobedient. I do not understand infant baptism, but then my spiritual upbringing has not been in that tradition.

Although I find that television preaching lacks the fellowship and Christian interaction that is part of worship, I do not term them unscriptural.

Being saved is not dependent upon correct doctrine. It is dependent upon the Lord's sacrifice, and simple individual belief in that, not only as simple truth, but resulting in my being His creature. This is not one of the things I might be wrong about.

We need to be known for the way we love one another.

Back