How Do You Test the Speaking in Tongues

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by gemma, Apr 26, 2011.

1. ><> ><> Sorry that was a general throw away statement not directed at you; or about tongues, I was thinking of the heaviness of some peoples posts.
    I'm so glad :( that some seem so sure of their own understanding which they can line up to the bible.
    My brother quoted this on another site==>''Although confident in my salvation, I am not at all sure that all the wonderful things I have done for God and in his name, will in the end, prove to be able to abide the fire.

I look at that day as one where all things will be put right, I fear I might be the first thing on the list to be set straight.''

What do you think??

2. Major, I respect what your doctrine believes. I don't want to try to argue with you [about cannon, perfect one, (true tongues gift which is not a huge issue but it becomes big because one or more sides make each other think that they're more spiritual than the other)] but rather I send you love, for who God made you to be!! You are a very important member in the Body.

I do look for the fruit of the Holy Spirit - love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. But the main thing I look for is love.

Those that think they are more spiritual just because they think they have the gift of speaking in tongues are not acting in love. The Corinthians aren't lacking in any gift but Paul pointed out their carnality in many, many areas.

3. Likewise my dear sister. I did not intend to argue and I hope you do not perceive our conversation as such. I was only posting what I believe to be revilent to the conversation.

Here I think is the bottom line on this tongues thing. IF someone wants to speak in tongues then it is your choice BUT it is not necessay to do so IMHO.

4. That's another topic, laterunner...

5. Yes, this thread is for those who believe in tongues.

6. NO SIR......NOT ME!
    You see, salvation has NOTHING to do with what I HAVE DONE for God!!!
    My salvation from the fire has EVERYTHING to do with what God DID FOR ME in Christ Jesus.
    Romans 8:1
    "There is therore NOW NO CONDEMNATION to them which are in Christ Jesus who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit".
    IF, IF I has to do something to please God in order to be saved, then I too would be concerned. But I did not have to do anything to be saved except believe upon the Lord Jesus Christ.

HeisallIneed and Ginger say Amen and like this.
  7. Hi Major!

As I have a personal interest in tongues, if I may, I'd appreciate your help for me to get quite clear in my mind what you're specifically saying about tongues.

Your position seems to be: "Sign Gifts" are not for us today. They were for the "Apostles..." Okay, I get that your clear position is there is no speaking in tongues for anyone today.

Secondly, are you then saying that there was no speaking in tongues at any point in the Scriptures for any non-Apostles (ordinary folks like us all here)?

Blessings!

- BM

8. Hello my friend. I hope that you are well.

I do not know if I can help you to be clear on "tongues". Actually all I can do is share with you my understanding of "tongues". My experience is that if one WANTS to practice tongues, they will do so no matter what is said about tongues.

First of we seem to be in agreement on the "sign gifts" being for the Apostles. Actually the name SIGN pretty much tells us the purpose, A SIGN!

Then to explain my understaning, I must explain what we are talking about first. The term that is used to identify the tongues movement is “glossolalia,” made up of two Greek words, glossa (language or tongue) and lalia (speech). It therefore means speaking in languages or tongues. Glossology is that department of anthropology which has to do with the study and classification of languages and dialects. If I say the Russian language is “new” to me, I do not mean that I never knew there was such a language, but rather its use by me is new to me because I can neither speak it nor understand it when I hear others speak it. On the other hand the German language is not altogether “new” to me because I can both read and speak it with a small degree of understanding. That is where I am coming from.

In Acts 2:4 Luke uses a different adjective when he says, “they began to speak with other tongues.” The word “other” (Gr. heteros) simply means that they spoke in languages different from the normal language they were used to. The context substantiates this. Notice the surprised reaction on the part of the hearers—“And they were all amazed and marveled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galileans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?” (Acts 2:7,8). Every man heard them speak in his own language (Acts 2:6). Here the word “language” is the translation of dialekto from which our word “dialect” comes. The two words glossa (tongue) and dialektos (language) are used synonymously, making it obvious that the disciples were speaking in known languages other than the language native to them. In verses 9-11 the languages are then identified. It was a miraculous phenomenon which enabled the disciples to speak in languages which they had never learned. Here in this Acts passage we have tongues-speaking in its pure and unperverted form as God gave it.

But the more serious problems arise in the interpretation of the twenty-one references to tongues in 1 Corinthians chapters 12-14. There are those who tell us that the tongues in First Corinthians are ecstatic utterances not known in any country on earth. For lack of a better word, the "tongues" we see done today are words of GIBERISH which cannot be said to a "language". They base their conclusion on the term “unknown” which appears in 1 Corinthians 14:2, 4, 13, 14, 19, and 27. But the reader of this chapter in God’s Word must not fail to observe that the word “unknown” in every place where it appears is in italicized letters, which means that it does not occur in any Greek manuscript but was inserted by translators. The Holy Spirit did not direct Paul to write that the tongue is unknown.
    I find no warrant for changing the meaning of tongues in First Corinthians. In every other place where the word is used it means languages. Why then should the meaning be changed in First Corinthians? I know of no textual license that will warrant changing the meaning of the word. All the usages of tongues in Paul’s treatment of the subject refer to foreign languages. “So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into air” (1 Corinthians 14:9).

Speaking in tongues was a gift bestowed by the Holy Spirit, but it, or any other gift, can be misused. Speaking in tongues was no mark of spirituality, because the Corinthian church was unspiritual, having manifested carnality (3:1-3) and even gross sin (5:1). And so Paul points them to a Scripture they should have known, saying, “In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord” (12:21).

Paul is here referring to a prophecy God had given through Isaiah. The nation of Israel had failed to heed God’s message which He gave through their own prophets, so the Lord told them that at a future time they will hear His message through tongues (languages) other than their own. “For with stammering lips and another tongue will He speak to this people “ (Isaiah 28:12). Thus Paul sees in this Isaiah prophecy the gift of tongues as a sign to Israel. The words “this people” in Isaiah 28:11, in its context, can refer only to Israel. The abuse of tongues-speaking in Corinth did not arise from the belief in speaking in tongues, but rather in the neglect of the Scriptures which teach its proper use.

This purpose of the gift of tongues, namely to communicate God’s message to Israel, is verified in the three passages in Acts where speaking in tongues is mentioned. In Acts 2 tongues-speaking was used as a missionary or evangelistic tool in fulfillment of Isaiah 28:11. There was no need for the disciples to learn other languages before they could communicate the Gospel. God overcame the language barrier through the miracle-gift of tongues. On the day of Pentecost there were “Jews out of every nation under heaven” (Acts 2:5). And when the disciples “began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance” (Acts 2:4), the hearers responded with the question, “And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?” (Acts 2:8). Observe that they were “Jews” from other countries who spoke many languages and dialects, and yet each heard the Gospel in his own tongue. Isaiah’s prophecy was being fulfilled.

In Acts 10:46 the second mention of speaking in tongues occurs. The occasion again was to communicate the Gospel, this time for the purpose of effecting the conversion of Cornelius and his house. This event cannot be totally disassociated from Pentecost because Peter, when relating this experience, said, “And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning” (Acts 11:15). At the house of Cornelius tongues-speaking was a sign to Jews at a time when the Gospel was being communicated (Acts 10:44-46).

In Acts 19:6 there appears the third passage in Acts in which speaking in tongues is recorded. Again its purpose was missionary and evangelistic. When Paul came to Ephesus he encountered twelve disciples of John the Baptist. He asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Ghost when (not since) you believed?” (Acts 19:2, see the R.V.). These at Ephesus considered themselves to be Christians because they had heard through Apollos the message of John. You see, there is a belief unto salvation and a belief that does not result in salvation. The latter is a mere academic, intellectual belief that even Satan and the demons have (James 2:19. cf. Mark 5:7). Doubtless there are people today who have an historical faith in Jesus Christ as a man and even the Son of God, but who have not been saved. Paul suspected that such was the case with the disciples of John whom he met at Ephesus. When he learned they were not saved, he told them they must trust Christ for their salvation. We can understand the confusion they might have experienced, therefore some evidential sign was necessary. “And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came upon them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied” (Acts 19:6). Again the purpose for speaking in tongues is obvious, namely, to communicate the Gospel message.

These are the only instances of tongues-speaking recorded in the Bible, except the passage in First Corinthians. None of the later Epistles mention speaking in tongues. The gift was used only in the transitional period between Law and Grace. The sign gifts continued through the period of the Apostles while the New Testament was in the process of being written IMHO.

Now I assure you that there will be others who will challange that posting. I do not have a bone to pick with anyone of them in any way. Again it comes down to this .................................
    I have read the teaching of the Scriptures, I disagree with it and I am going to speak in tongues because I CAN AND I WANT TO.

I do not argue with that, if you want to do it, fine with me. Just remember that doing it does not make one a better Christian neither does it make them an Apostle, or mean that they are closer to God than any other born again believer.

I sincerely hope this helps you to understand my statements.

9. Hi, my friend! And thankyou for that long and full explanation!

I having a bit of a difficult time, and will write more later, but one thing for now. Which is just to point out that I didn't say I agreed with you about 'sign-gifts'. When we say in Australia that, "I get what you said about (something)," we mean that we understand what you're saying. I believe I do understand your position on this, but I don't agree and didn't mean you to think that I did.

I'll try and write my rather unusual experiences with tongues, as well as my Scriptural understanding of it absolutely as soon as I can.

Till then, God bless you heaps!

- BM

10. I understand and you are not alone.

11. Major, were you meaning you understand concerning having a difficult time?

You very kindly hoped that I was well in an earlier post. How I cope with my illhealth and some of my Godly blessings I've finally decided to put in a post (in The Inner Room) HERE.

- BM

12. MY TONGUES STORY. I believe I should write my Holy Spirit/tongues experiences at this point. They are part of my response, my friend Major, to your explanatory post you kindly set down for me.

I strongly doubt I received the filling of the Spirit when I came to Christ at age 18 (1957). My church never taught anything like this - that didn't help of course. I was however as full-on for the Lord with what I knew (as I've been ever since), but was certainly not properly equipped. I was then 31 before I heard the first ever sermon (via a tape cassette) on the subject of "The Lordship of Christ." He was just our Saviour back then, even Billy Graham in Australia in 1959 seemed to have said this - so the sermon totally blew me out of the water, and then some!! I immediately went to make Him my Lord (I'm not one to let the grass grow...!) God met me with a most unusual vision (has anyone ever "walked the plank?") and I took a major step of faith, most happily making Him my LORD over all of my life for ever and ever!!

That I was filled/baptised with the Spirit then seems highly likely, but I was still quite unaware of such things. When the Pentecostal (and Charismatic) Movement came to Australia I was still a youngish Christian. I watched as churches were blown apart and all sorts of damage done by the strength of the message of people in the Movement (a fair degree of "We are right, and you are wrong" was evident). [That is not criticism, simply factual - more at end of post.] It truly put me personally off ALL things to do with tongues and I guess other things also that concerned the Holy Spirit. I thus became pretty anti, I really did!

So tongues for me were "back then" and "not now" much like you say, as were other doctrines of the Movement. Whenever anyone raised "tongues" I would pretty-smart set them straight from the Scriptures, that no tongues were for us then. I continued searching the Word of God that I started at age 18. I continued as a God-seeker which I'd been since quite young, and still strongly am. And I continued being a truth-seeker, ditto! But no - NO tongues, thankyou very much!!

By around 1982 when I was 44 I had been put out of the work-force forever because of my ill-health. One non-special day I was quietly sitting alone at my desk at home doing nothing of any great import. But suddenly I found myself speaking out some sounds (words?) like I simply couldn't believe - and continued to do so. Please remember that I was a died in the wool anti-tongues person, so this thing that was happening utterly shocked me and I could NOT for the life of me figure out what was going on!! Eventually it seemed to stop, again without my volition. Blow me down, the next day it happened again - and the day after that. ALL with no action or thought on my part every time.

As I still had not one clue what this was I set out to try and find out, asking a Pastor and a Missionary who I really trusted - but they had no clue either. Now at the same time there was a 2nd things happening: every prayer that I prayed was answered!! Whatever I asked for (I don't mean selfish things) was received. I didn't ask for a million dollars, mind you *grin!* but not one thing was missed that I requested of God. Pretty exciting, I can tell you! These two apparently quite separate experiences continued for some time, but as I understood neither of them, eventually they just sort of slowly petered out...

A year or more passed until I met the sister of the Missionary friend above. She was "on fire" as we say, and shared all manner of amazing things with me. She was not Pentecostal/Charismatic, but had, she told me, the gift of tongues, including some amazing things that happened around tongues and the new life she'd entered into. So I told her of my earlier experiences - AND soon got the answers that had totally eluded me back then!! That sure was a WOW!!

She helped me understand more things and I decided that seeing God had already given me a tongues gift, I wanted it back!!! So I started praying for it. Nothing. Continued praying. Still not a thing. But I'm nothing if not persistent concerning something I see as very important, and after some time I was on the throne room one day and next minute, totally unexpected again, I suddenly started speaking in tongues once more. In time I came to think that He made me WAIT for so long because I kind of treated the two gifts He'd given me earlier with a certain amount of disdain - enough to eventually lose both.

I've had this gift ever since, never used publicly, and only one person has ever heard me speak in tongues - a Pastor who had Holy Spirit gifts who "TESTED" my tongue (his idea rather than mine). As I spoke using my gift, many times he asked any Spirit, "What is your name!" No Spirit spoke! He was a little concerned how quickly I spoke (and still mostly do, though of course the speed I speak at is under my control, just not what words I say), but ultimately he concluded this was just me, like one other person in our church at that time.

But for the point of this post: here was a serious Christian, his life utterly given to Jesus as Lord, but COMPLETELY and UTTERLY against tongues as strongly as it was possible to be, who with no thought or warning, in the quietness of his home, suddenly broke out speaking with a tongue. There was no "if you want to, you can" about it. I neither wanted it NOR expected it, NOR had the foggiest idea what it even was!!!

Does any of this in this post prove that tongues are real today? I don't really think so. "Prove" is a human word, whereas "faith" is a spiritual one. My faith in my Lord and my God says that this is a gift from Him just as much as the gift of the Holy Spirit's filling and from Whom this gift I have comes.

Finally, because I mentioned the Pentecostal Movement above, I simply want to say that I am not part of this Movement and are never likely to be. PLUS, nothing I've said here should be construed by anyone as criticism of my brothers and sisters who hold to the Pentecostal faith. All I've done here is honestly, and holding nothing back, expressed those things that I felt, thought, and experienced from 1957 to about 1983.

To come next, for any who are interested, I'll (finally) present my understanding of tongues as set forth in the New Testament. Till then, may all be seriously blessed with peace and grace from our amazing LORD!!!

- BM

13. Both my friend.
    I understand that we are all affected by our health and I also understand that we do not have to agree on the use of tongues to be brothers in Christ.
    We are saved by faith through grace in the Lord Jesus Christ NOT by tongues, miracles, baptism, or the Rapture.
    God bless you and I have added you to our prayer list at my church as well.

Ginger likes this.
  14. Thank-you so much for your concern and for organising prayer for my health, even as it sounds like your health is not that of normal healthy people either. If this is so, as it seems, then you have my prayer, love and concern.

I would have had my post about tongues from the New Testament up already but for a problem in my left eye, so that I have a patch over it and can see very little with just one eye, and nothing clearly. We hope the patch can come off tomorrow, and that the eye will be okay.

Being a most SERIOUS seeker of truth all of my life, I studied the Scriptures from conversion. But it was in about 1984 that God through His Spirit really started to reveal to me and teach me Christian doctrine and practice as set forth in the New Testament. Somewhere along the line He gave me a strong Gift of Teaching and also a Gift of Prophesy to reveal truth in a way that people may see it clearly if they choose.

So yes, we can be brothers while disagreeing about tongues, but nonetheless this should not be so. With all the denominations today teaching their particular version of Christianity, including errors, I think we've become used to differing and it not concerning us too much that we're not truly following God's Holy Word. Because of my serious ill-health I've had no church now for maybe 17 or so years. God's doing, along with my ill-health, that he may have a mind fully open and unencumbered to receive what is true from the Scripture record, and on 1-1-2008 to begin writing it here in The inner Room (in my Sig below) for those who will not rest until they know the full truths of the One Who said He is the TRUTH. I will be most interested to see what you, along with others, do with my next post when my eye allows me to put it up.

May we all find and know and LIVE the truth!! With much love,

- BM

chili likes this.
  15. :)

16. Great "comment" Gemma! *hehe!* Thanks!

- BM

17. Sadly it's a fact that anyone, even confessed unbelievers, can speak in what may appear to be tongues. Here in Brisbane an unbelieving DJ spoke in tongues live on radio to prove that he could! Furthermore, somewhat similar to what Major said, there are many who believe they are speaking in tongues who are not, but often have just followed a formula, then patterned on others. And are simply speaking nonsense. Thank God that those filled with the Spirit and having a gift of tongues are, according to the Scriptures, speaking to God! But then there are also many who would believe they're filled with the Spirit but really aren't. To me this is all really quite tragic!

- BM

gemma likes this.
  18. MY UNDERSTANDING OF NEW TESTAMENT TONGUES

I'm a simple bondman of the Lord Jesus who looks for TRUTH in the Bible that is there and is clear - 'clear' meaning fully in context, comparing Scripture with Scripture, and more. If it's not clearly there then I am simply not interested!! What I write below is what I've found as truth over many, many years, to the best of my ability. Not a lot of Christians are open-minded and truth-seekers. By the grace of God and the Spirit I am both, and with all of my heart I wish that more were with me on BOTH of these!! Jesus said that HE is the TRUTH - so the closer I can get to the truth the closer I am to my Lord Jesus!! Every bit of me wants that so badly!

PENTECOST AND THE BEGINNING OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH

At Pentecost God showed to us that the Holy Spirit was come (the one promised in John 14:16), with miracles: a rushing mighty wind filled the place, tongues like fire came and sat on them, they were all FILLED with the Spirit, and began to speak in other tongues. Soon they were speaking to a crowd from many nations who all heard the message in their own language!! Wow, that is so amazing!! Peter then spoke in a regular language, preaching the first Christian sermon, by which many were born again and so the Christian church which we are part of had begun!! That's another wow!!

NOW IT'S DIFFERENT!

The events of Pentecost above were all UNIQUE. What these men spoke initially was heard in many languages - but there is nowhere else in the New Testament where this miraculous phenomenon is clearly recorded. That is, it ended at Pentecost as a very VERY special "one off event" if you will. And so from there on speaking in a tongue (or language) BY the Holy Spirit was different. We read of NO further miracle of tongues understood by many different language speakers, but simply of a Holy Spirit gift.

Thus in Acts we see that a) the Holy Spirit came upon the disciples at Pentecost with a SERIES of supernatural events, and b) He later give other Believers supernatural gifts, for example where Peter took the Gospel to Cornelius: Acts Ch 10:44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. 46 For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God. They were then baptised in water.

Peter records that the Holy Spirit came on them and they spoke in tongues! It does NOT say and therefore we may NOT assume, that they spoke in a tongue that everyone could understand. And in the same manner in a further passage: Acts Ch 19:5 On hearing this, they were baptized [in water] in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6. When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied.

THE GENERAL SIGN OF BEING FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT

Note that in both these passages, people being filled/baptised in the Spirit included the sign of tongues - this often being in relation to baptism in water. (But note: tongues being the sign does NOT mean that anyone filled with the spirit but not a tongue-speaker is not saved. I see nowhere in the Word saying that. Some simply never speak in tongues.)

We then must go to 1 Corinthians Ch 14 to where Paul, in setting out how the church should act when they met together, included a great amount of information for us to both learn and to use concerning the gift of tongues. When younger I was guilty of speaking against tongue-speaking and ignoring 1 Corinthians Ch 14. I was wrong and had to repent of this grave error! We cannot and we must not OMIT the clear truths of 1 Corinthians Ch 14 from the NT to suit our own doctrine!

MAJOR 1 CORINTHIANS 14 TRUTHS

Here Paul is writing to all the members of the church at Corinth, telling them how to act, i.e., speaking to ordinary folk like you and me. Please understand that he is speaking in this chapter of two specific things in the church: the gift of tongues, AND the gift of prophecy - the latter meaning able to speak blessed truths of God in such a way as to build up the church (rather than to prophesy of a future event). He says that to prophesy is "better" than speaking in a tongue - simply because the first is understood by all, where the latter is not (unless its meaning is interpreted). Here's some of what he said:

1 Corinthians Ch 14:2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit. That's quite clear to me. When I speak in my tongue gift I'm speaking to God, not people, Paul says - and they are mysteries by the Spirit. Pretty wonderful, eh!! Verse 4. Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves. We all need to be edified (built up in the faith) and via a tongue we can build ourselves up. Verse 5. I wish for every one of you to speak in tongues. Both verses amazingly strong and clear I think. Paul wants ALL of us to speak in tongues!! - that's his desire!

ABOUT HOW CHURCH MEETINGS SHOULD BE

In 1 Corinthians 14:6-17 Paul continues to give information and instructions about speaking in tongues for the betterment of the church. Verse 18. I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. Clear: ordinary Corinthian church folk speak in tongues, just like Paul. In 1 Cor:14:19-25 he continues the two matters of prophecy and tongues. Verse 26. What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Paul is giving clear instruction about activities in a church meeting - including tongues (and interpretation of them). Do you think we're obeying these Scriptural instructions from God?

Verse 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God. Any who are in churches where the whole church speaks (or sings - no difference) in tongues are led by people who either don't know or wilfully disobey the clear Word of God, from God, written here. As my life is dedicated to being obedient to the Lord in ALL things - as we all should be - I personally would immediately leave such a church.

A LIST OF HOLY SPIRIT GIFTS

Paul now concludes his instructions in verse 39. Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40 But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way. Do not forbid speaking in tongues he instructs the church, but do it RIGHT - for the church to be orderly and glorifying to the Lord. Finally, in 1 Corinthians 12:8-10, a list of Gifts of the Spirit given to Believers: to one wisdom, to another knowledge, then faith, healing, miracles, prophecy, discerning of spirits, and to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues (verse 10b). So tongues is a clear gift of the Spirit to members of His church!!!

I do hope some of that may be helpful to those here. Hmm, maybe I should now duck off and have a little chat with the Lord God - in tongues! *happy smile!*

Much love to everyone!!

- BM

19. True, true. There is one element you missed in your post. The possessed can also speak in tongues (a foreign language they were not taught).

That's why it is so important to discern all things. Too many people jump to the conclusion that because of one little thing, a vision or person must be of God, and then ignore all the evidsence it or they are not!!!!

gemma likes this.

20. I believe you are mistaken....

Acts 10:44-46 .....'While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God.'

The Jews who heard them speak must have understood what they said as the Scriptures sate they heard them speak in tongues and magnify God. And in the next chapter the Apostles confirm the gift was the same as they had received:

Acts 11:15-17 .....'And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ.'

As for the other comments, I think they need to be understood in light of the fact that the gift of tongues is speaking in a known language whether you know how to speak that language or not.

Paul also stated the gift is for the unbelievers, who only benefit if they understand what is being said. That reveals a whole lot about this gift.

Ginger