How Do you know

How do you know what books to read in the bible and when?

If you are up to buying a book I would recommend Frank Viola's book titled "The untold Story of the New Testament Church." Great book - 5 stars. He goes through the NT on a year by year increment telling about what was going on historically at that particular time in the Church. Then he indicates when each individual book of the NT was written; and asks you to stop and read that particular book in the Bible before proceeding further. So you also read the NT in its probable chronology and in its historical context. It will give you a whole new perspective on the NT.

Luke was the historian of the NT - Luke/Acts, which covers about a 33 year period up to and into the Jewish rebellion of 66AD. Viola says that Galations was the first book written in the NT which was in 49AD and Revelation was written in 70AD This was my only disagreement as I am a late dater for Revelation (appx 92AD). (There are different opinions on dating)

Because of this book I just ordered a NIV loose leaf Bible (Pages only), so I can rearrange the books in the historical order in which they were written - for study purposes at home. You can also add note book paper between the pages if the unusually wide margins are not enough. Margins on loose leaf are often about 1 1/2" and it uses a standard three ring binder. My e-bay cost was - $15 plus postage. + a binder - which I have.

He was the fulfillment of the old covenant and the source of the new! :D

I recommend starting with the Gospel then going back and reading the OT in light of the Gospel. It gives you a bit better understanding of the Word

Back