How Do I Find God?

Do I have to go to a church? I really want to give myself the freedom to explore if this really has anything to offer without tying up my identity in it. Does that make sense?

Hebrews 10:19-25

19 Therefore, brethren, having boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil, that is, His flesh, 21 and having a High Priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised isfaithful. 24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.

To me this sounds like we should go to church.

Can you explain the second part of your statement? I put it in bold.

Hebrews 10:19-25

19 Therefore, brethren, having boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil, that is, His flesh, 21 and having a High Priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised isfaithful. 24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.

To me this sounds like we should go to church.

Can you explain the second part of your statement? I put it in bold.

Sweet Pea .. churches provide instruction and fellowship .. and this edifies ..
are there not two or more gathered in His name even right here in this forum ???

the 2nd part of his statement is simple ..
a personal relation with God is easiest to seek in solitude ..
however checking in on that group (like he is now) helps point you in the right direction .. becoming of one mind with your brethren is based on that personal relation ..
those who seek to find a personal relation with God in a group, may have a difficult time .. the group serves the purpose of keeping each other lined up correctly in His will for our love and in His word and Christian conduct toward others ..

God Bless you ..

Thank you for all of your thoughtful replies.

I do want to know God. I have tried praying and asking in silence, but there is nothing in my life to show me that we're more than chemical processes, beautiful chemical processes.

It's very hard to believe in a god that is similar to people. I am just one person. I know where I end and others begin, but I would love to connect with the spiritual side of life. How do I know there's more to life than what I can touch and see?

Scripture is honestly just confusing. And reading the Bible as a historical reference is a bit boring. Knowing the history of it as well, it is certain that powerful political entities have had a hand in shaping the bible in an image that suited them best. But the lessons it shares are wonderful and ones I want to believe come from a spiritual side.

I am not trying to disprove or prove anything. I am seeking a connection. Is there really more to life than what can be proven?

Anonymous, the first thing you must do is to seek God.......If you will seek Him with all of your heart you shall find Him.
Hebrews 11:6
King James Version (KJV)
6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
The first step is faith.....Faith enough to believe that there IS a God who loves you so much that He became a man as He robed Himself in flesh to die for your sins.
You must come to God on His terms.....Repent for every sin that you've ever committed......With Godly sorrow do an about face and turn from your ways, the world and the devil and come completely clean with Him- No holding back.
After you have attempted this let me know, I will lead you into full Bible salvation.

It's very hard to believe in a god that is similar to people.

perhaps that is why ..
God is Love ..
God is Spirit ..
God is Holy ..
God is not similar to people ..
He is the creator, not the created ..

so IF you want to find Him, remember this ..
"seek Him not through the flesh, but through the spirit" ..
Jhn 4:24 “God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

Read God's Holy Scriptures, Start with the Gospel of John and then read Romans, after that read the rest of the New Testament. Read the New testament at least twelve times in a row before you take any kind of long break from it. By being diligent in the scriptures this way you will began to understand God's Holy Word, rightly dividing the word of truth. By reading the Holy scriptures that way you will also become sanctified, set apart from the world, and holy, as you become a saint.The Lord tells us we are sanctified by truth, His Word is truth. Jesus Christ gives increases in understanding but He can also take it away if you stop reading regularly. This site will help light the narrow path which leads to Jesus Christ our Lord https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePersecuted7 Glory to YESHUA! Let the Lord be magnified.

Read God's Holy Scriptures, Start with the Gospel of John and then read Romans, after that read the rest of the New Testament. Read the New testament at least twelve times in a row before you take any kind of long break from it. By being diligent in the scriptures this way you will began to understand God's Holy Word, rightly dividing the word of truth. By reading the Holy scriptures that way you will also become sanctified, set apart from the world, and holy, as you become a saint.The Lord tells us we are sanctified by truth, His Word is truth. Jesus Christ gives increases in understanding but He can also take it away if you stop reading regularly. This site will help light the narrow path which leads to Jesus Christ our Lord https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePersecuted7 Glory to YESHUA! Let the Lord be magnified.

Read the book of Acts and pray for the Holy Ghost after you repent of all of your sins (if you havn't already)

Why do you need a God? Just curious.
Good question.....
Well first of all after living life a while I wondered if there was more to life that just waking up and eating, working, eating again, sleeping -I tried many things in this life to bring thrills, good feelings and satisfaction, unfortunately always temporary.
There was a deep gnawing hunger inside of me for something more, but I didn't know what that might be. I finally decided to try Jesus, I am sad to say ; He was my last resort........I sure wish He would have been my first. He has filled my life with richness, direction and purpose, He has given me joy, He delivered me from a 20yr drug habit, and an alcoholic lifestyle.
I am nothing without God- that I know for sure. But, with Him: "All things are possible."

In particular the gospel of Luke which is a letter to a man names Theophilus and starts:
most excellent Theophilus

Acts, which is Luke's second letter to Theophilus

in case you were interested .. Paul was very well trained as a Pharisee ..

Act 22:3 “I am a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city, educated under Gamaliel, strictly according to the law of our fathers, being zealous for God just as you all are today.

many scholars believe Paul preached to Gamaliel as well, and Act 5:34 is that very same Rabbi ..

the term "most excellent" you will find in sources outside the bible as a normal title given to those in power .. also see Act 26:25

37AD-41AD Theophilus ben Ananus (was High Priest)
therefore a date of authoring can be ascribed to the Gospel ..

in the opening of the book of Acts, you will notice the "title denoting in-power" is not present .. thus coincides with the presumed dating ..

Paul also Preached to Kings and Perfects (Roman Governors) Act 26:27 ..

Last edited:
I do want to know God. I have tried praying and asking in silence, but there is nothing in my life to show me that we're more than chemical processes, beautiful chemical processes.

If that is all you are then indeed life is an exercise in futility without real meaning or purpose. I know because I lived that life (raised by a naturalist father) until I was 32 (same age you are now)…if all we are, are animated bags of dirt filled with water then one dirt bag telling another dirt bag what to do makes no sense…all is futility of existence to be endured. There is no right or wrong, good or evil…in the end of it MIGHT MAKES RIGHT in a survival of the fittest contest. And this is the dismal reality you have placed your faith in.

It's very hard to believe in a god that is similar to people. I am just one person. I know where I end and others begin, but I would love to connect with the spiritual side of life. How do I know there's more to life than what I can touch and see?

You have the cart before the horse. People are similar to God (only not nearly as He is). Can you touch love? Real love not the feeling. The kind of love that goes half way around the world to treat diseases in a place where just believing is a crime. Jesus fed His 5,000 with a few loaves and fishes and we the children of God through Him feed millions each day (with out on penny of any governments tax dollars). The little we each give from our time, talents, and treasures literally feeds millions, houses multitudes, brings medical attention to millions, frees slaves and rescues orphans…and so very much more. More in fact than the efforts of any 10 governments. You cannot tough life…you cannot even say where it comes from. Abiogenesis? An utterly unfounded superstitious myth, yet you probably never doubted it. Can you touch or see the inordinate affection that a mother has for her newborn child? You do ot even know why the water on my stove is boiling.

Earlier you mentioned logic well think of this…when one believes in God, life has meaning and purpose, one has hope (not hope as the world knows but the eager expectation of what we know will be), we have something to look forward to, and a feeling of great security and assurance, as well as a standard to strive toward.

When one believes there is no God then as I pointed out, life has no real meaning or purpose, all is about you, no real joy, your only assurance is what you can do till you get sick or too old, nothing to hope for, and no higher standard than self…life has its happy and sad moments but that’s it.

Now when the first man dies if there is no God what difference did it make other than his life here had all these wonderful blessings, but if there is God, that one is now eternally blessed.

Now when the second man dies if there is no God even his life here was at best mediocre and probably a had a lot of misery being without meaning or hope and now nothing else…but if he dies and then has to come before God…his miserable life here will not compare to his eternity.

So you see with belief you have nothing to lose and possibly everything to gain, but with unbelief you have nothing to gain and possibly everything to lose…it’s a no brainer actually, but flesh and blood cannot reveal it to you…

The problem is that if God has actually spoken to you, since you have never much time in His presence, you would not know His voice…you only get to know someone by spending time with them.

I believe morals exist independently of Religion. And life having no sole purpose (like I believe) is invigorating. I still have morales and am a good citizen but find life even more beautiful because it all just happened from a random series of events.

And you are looking for social acceptance in this community of Christians?
or you like to tell us you are just doing just fine....
or you want to confirm of your own assurance in this forums?
or..?

just curious as well....

I believe morals exist independently of Religion. And life having no sole purpose (like I believe) is invigorating. I still have morales and am a good citizen but find life even more beautiful because it all just happened from a random series of events.

Yes in a world where each is lord of their own life (Genesis 3:5), deciding what is good or evil for themselves, it is true that there is a kind of morals, but that is because in man, made in God's image, there is an innate sense somethings (that God predetermined, as you do not see this in any other species of living creature) are simply wrong. Ever wonder why they more or less mirror what He said was wrong since the beginning (murder, rape, stealing, etc.,)?

So the world of self-lords by brutality of experience, sooner or later, by consensus, agree top make some things wrong and others right, labelling whatever they choose as good or evil. The problem in that world (which I am in but so gratefully no longer of) is that if the majority in a culture accept killing all Jews is good, then it is in their thinking and feeling a good thing to be practiced and carried out even if other cultures think otherwise (all fighting, wars, divorce, and so on are the result of one or a group trying to lord it over another one or group).

Self lords, in tribalism, nationalism, religions, even in competing concepts of world domination and politics, have been ruling the world for many ages...how has that worked out? Is the world really any more civilized? No! Thats because the hearts of men in the world of self-lords is self-ish (the word self-ish meaning the Me-man...its all about Me....sooner or later ruling the Me-man persons or groups become mean), self-gratifying, self-indulgent, self-glorifying, and so on. Even when it appears they are being concerned for the other (with the exception of immediate loved ones) it is all about themselves...they get some self boast or self stroking out of the deal. There must be some personal gain be it control, power, money, the warm fuzzies, ego gratification, personal pleasure...

There is no rational or scientifically plausible reason for man to have any "moral" sense at all if we are merely the products of chemical accidents. Dead chemicals do not think or become considerate or not considerate no matter how you mix them. The world as a whole is still very evil and full of the forces striving to destroy. Dead matter has no power to do anything. Chance likewise has no power to create anything...chance is never a cause only one of a number of possible outcomes.

Paul

Last edited:
Back