1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

How can we know

Discussion in 'Marriage and Relationships' started by ATP, Jan 5, 2015.

1. If we are to be equally yoked, how do we know the person we want to be with is truly born again. Can we really know?
  2. Yes you can know...

Romans 8:16 (KJV)
    The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
  3. Let me ask it the other way. How do you know you are truly born again? :D
  4. Eph 2:8. My faith is a testimony of His Grace given. :p
  5. I was thinking of something like this. You will know a person by the fruits they bore.

James 2:14-17
    14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead
    Rezz likes this.
  6. Interrogate the person; present him or her with modern, moral dilemmas. If he or she displays an understanding of scriptures that is consistent with your interpretation of them, then you two may be compatible as friends, lovers, etc.
  7. Do they profess Jesus?
    Do their "Fruits" bear witness?

My experience is that most people who are athiest/agnostic/pagan don't have much trouble admitting it once you really get to know them - in a true, deep intimate relationship... it's hard to live a lie for very long like that....

Strangely, though - the exception seems to be professional religionists... They may well "Lose faith" - but they have to keep it hidden to maintain their standing and thus occupation/income.... Even then, though - those who know them really well tend to have "Sniffed them out" so to speak...

8. hmm good question cos I was dating a while to someone who said he was a christian but it turns out he wasn't and it wasn't until much later on that I got to the bottom of his 'pretend christianity'.
    I think being equally yoked is good as the burden is shared but unequally yoked is terrible when the burden always seems to fall on you. I haven't really been on the other side of the equation where I have been swept off my feet with no burden at all but then I'm not one to dump everything on someone else and expect them to carry it all. Although it is tempting at times to do this.
    We must first take our burdens to Jesus. His yoke is easy and his burden is light. He is at the reins.
  9. After some experiences I decided that I will never date again with anybody who is not active in church. I understand that this can be different in other countries or cultures but for me in my country it's clear. No church, no activity for God = no Christian.
    I think that the better relationship we have with God, the better we can recognize that someone has no relationship with God.
  10. True.
    Some ppl just dont go to church as dont get on with other believers but there is always some church you can fellowship at thats right for you. I know when I became a christian i suddenly had this desire to belong to a local church as cant really grow in the Lord without others to love.

Some professed christians would constantly criticise other churches and end up just all by themselves cos they believe they are right and everyone else is wrong. The other mind are the wolves in sheeps clothing who come in to devour the sheep and go after the most vulnerable, which is the single women, it seems.
  11. Or maybe its a mirror thing..and if your relationship with God is going well, you attract others whos relationship is with God is a bit rocky and you are meant to be there to help them out?
    Robine likes this.