Holy Spirit

Status
Not open for further replies.
From hearing: "Walk in the Spirit"

I visualize this:

You know the efffect they use in some shows/movies/commercials where a person walks out of themself, sometimes as a ghost once they're dead. Well picture that ghost type thing, but you are able to see it, and have to try to stay in it, so you're actions are one with it. Figuratively of course. That's what that phrase "Walk in the Spirit" makes me think.

At the bottom of your screen is the verse, "I baptize you with water, but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit." Is that the difference between the two? Or am I complicating it more?

The Holy Spirit IS God, the third person of the trinity, the same God as the Father and the same God as His Son Jesus. When we repent and believe in Jesus as our Savior it is the Holy Spirit who comes to reside in our bodies with our spirit. Our body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit. The still, small voice that we hear, the conviction of sin that we feel, the annointing that empowers us to bring forth His gifts are all the work of the Holy Spirit. Thankyou Father for this wonderful gift!

In Christ, Boyd

So, Boyd, when you say "the annointing that empowers us," that is when we are "baptised with the H.S.?" That is the Baptizm that some speak in tongues with? If I understand it right then, when we repent, it is the H.S. who comes to reside in our spirit. But, to be baptized in the H.S., you have to surrender to Him (the H.S.) and that is when He will give you the gifts of the H.S. and then you are "empowered by the H.S." Can this be done when you are alone, are do you have to have an elder or someone pray over you?

Farther in the book I am reading, it says you are endued with power and that must be when you have received the Baptizm of the H.S. And, so somehow you must "know" that it has happened. But, tongues is a gift, right? How do you know what gift you have?

The Holy Spirit is our paraclete or the One who walks beside us. He is our closest friend, our teacher, our guide, our helper and much more. He empowers us, fills us, draws us, leads us, speaks to us and it is He the very Living Spirit of God that dwells within us. He is the one who reveals the Father to us, He is the one who reveals the Son to us, He is the one who reveals the Word to us, without His leading and empowerment we can do nothing of eternal value. He is indeed the very ressurection power of God that comes into our spirit when we are born again.
We are not to grieve Him. Even though He is God, He is gentle and leads with a still small voice, a drawing and a conviction in our spirit. He is so precious to God that the Father only sent Him to us after Jesus prayed and asked. He is not to be quenched. He is able to do miracles, He is not limited by anything but this- He will not respond to doubt and unbelief. How many times has a work of the Holy Spirit been dismissed and/or demonized but lost or religious persons. He is willing and able and longs to move BUT He will not allow man to dictate His moves. How many times has revival come only to be quenched by man's efforts to control, plan and direct such a move. None but God get the glory. He is God and we are to follow His lead and not the other way around. Some build great programs and then ask for His help but a true servant asks for His lead and follows completely yielded to God's plan.
He is in my life the most precious person and greatest treasure my heart can comprehend and He is the very love of my life. He is God.

Praise God my son. You put everything so simply.

John 14:26
But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

John 16:5
[ The Work of the Holy Spirit ] "Now I am going to him who sent me, yet none of you asks me, 'Where are you going?'

John 20:22
And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit.

Acts 1:2
until the day he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen.

Acts 1:5
For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit."

Acts 1:8
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

At the bottom of your screen is the verse, "I baptize you with water, but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit." Is that the difference between the two? Or am I complicating it more?

Yes SS That is the difference. The Holy Spirit indwells in us when we are saved. We all have the indwelling of the Holy Spiriit. The Holy Spirit is our teacher and our guide and like some one said our small voice inside that helps us to discern , right from wrong.

The Baptizm is another level if it were of the Holy Spirit and as we grow in the Lord and hunger and thirst after His righteousness we can be filled with more of the Holy Spirit with the eveidence of speaking in tongues for our edification. There are of course different giftings of the Holy Spirit that I don't want to confuse you with, that God gives us.

The infilling of the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues for me is evidence in my own life that Jesus Christ is the true and living God and also is a comfort in the very times of need to know that He is there, and never leaves me nor forsakes me.

Sweet Surrender,
The person and work of the Holy Spirit has been quite controversial in the church. Some say that none of these gifts and experiences are available to believers today but I disagree because I and thousands of others have experienced His working. There is a lot of wrangling about words and sequence of experiences. In a sense we are baptized into Christ with the Spirit when we believe and the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in us. As we surrender our flesh and will to Him we can be filled with the Spirit. People experience this in different ways, some with powerful physical sensations, almost an electricity, and many but not all speak with tongues, a heavenly language whereby our spirit can communicate directly to God without our mind getting in the way.
The book of Acts and First Corinthians 12-14 tell of The Holy Spirit's work. He does give gifts and we can each be used in all the gifts but there can be one that He uses us in in a special way. I have been gifted to heal at certain times, only with His leading and my wife Judy is used to bring forth the prophetic word of truth through wisdom and knowledge. Particular gifts may be given that line up with our individual nature.
As to my own experience, six months after I became a Christian at 15 I sought the Lord fervently for the filling of the Holy Spirit and was powerfully filled with the sign of speaking in tongues. It is a gift I use to talk to my Father and when I am praying for someone's healing that is how I pray.
The bible does speak of laying on of hands to receive the filling but it can happen while you are alone, just you and God. I hope this helps.
In Christ, Boyd

SS like all things we receive from the Father we must accept this gift by faith. Gifts are not earned or many times deserved in any way. It is the blood of Christ that makes us worthy and when we come to the place when we position our hearts in faith to receive the Father loves to pour out on us.
We are Batized with water ( symbolic of death burial and ressurection with Christ. We are baptized with fire which is the purifacation thru trying, testing and victory by faith in God alone. We are baptized in with the Holy Spirit which is empowerment for the ministry He has for each of us. This is power to do His will and His work and is freely given to all who receive.

Father in Jesus Name baptize me in the holy Spirit as on the day of Pentecost. I receive this gift of love by faith and I move in power according to your Word, amen.

Act 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

The Lord spoke and His Words were full of power. The Apostles spoke His Words and followed His lead, they were full of power. We move out in faith at His dorection and we are filled with this same power.

SS like all things we receive from the Father we must accept this gift by faith. Gifts are not earned or many times deserved in any way. It is the blood of Christ that makes us worthy and when we come to the place when we position our hearts in faith to receive the Father loves to pour out on us.
We are Batized with water ( symbolic of death burial and ressurection with Christ. We are baptized with fire which is the purifacation thru trying, testing and victory by faith in God alone. We are baptized in with the Holy Spirit which is empowerment for the ministry He has for each of us. This is power to do His will and His work and is freely given to all who receive.

Father in Jesus Name baptize me in the holy Spirit as on the day of Pentecost. I receive this gift of love by faith and I move in power according to your Word, amen.

Act 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

The Lord spoke and His Words were full of power. The Apostles spoke His Words and followed His lead, they were full of power. We move out in faith at His dorection and we are filled with this same power.

I'm taking a deep breath! I think I understood from all your replies that I should not worry about speaking in tongues, that is the least of the gifts. But, I do want to be a wittness and that is the deepest desire and push for me to surrender to the Holy Spirit. Besides the fact that I really do love Jesus now and am leaning how to be aware that the H.S. is my shadow, living inside me and going where ever I go.

I am finally here now: "when we come to the place when we position our hearts in faith to receive the Father loves to pour out on us."

And, thanx, Bo, for giving the example of the words to use in prayer.

It is a pleasure sis. I wanted to add that we don't add anything to our lives by striving and worrying. We are called to enter His rest. If we cannot deserve these things from Him by "getting oursellves ready" , "reaching the next level" or any form of works. All His gifts are gifts to us.

I am also one with the others in saying that the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is different from the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Scripture says that the Holy Spirit indwells believers the moment they believe, while the baptism of the Holy Spirit, or otherwise known as "the baptism of fire," is usually (not always) accompanied by the laying on of hands, and is followed by the imparting of Spiritual gifts such as tongues, prophecy, healing, etc.

The Holy Spirit is God. Jesus the father and the Holy Spirit are one.

1 John 5
7For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.

I see some who seem to look upon the Holy Spirit as if it is some kind of force or energy. But no it is a He it is the Helper.

John 14
26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

Jesus said :

Matthew 28
18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

Jesus is with us, The Holy Spirit is with us. Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Praise God my son. You put everything so simply.

John 14:26
But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

John 16:5
[ The Work of the Holy Spirit ] "Now I am going to him who sent me, yet none of you asks me, 'Where are you going?'

John 20:22
And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit.

Acts 1:2
until the day he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen.

Acts 1:5
For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit."

Acts 1:8
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

At this point we are repeating ourselves . I would suggest we all read the complete thread.

To me the Holy Spirit is the part of the Trinity, when you read in Genesis the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
So when we pray we are to pray to the Holy Spirit as well because He is a person,just as Jesus is a person, Jesus said that He would send to us a comforter and the comforter is the Holy Spirit.
When you pray to God the Father or to Jesus the Holy Spirit also acts on your behalf, and if you speak in tongues you speak in the spirit and this is where the Holy Spirit speaks to God.
When you pray in your normal voice some times it hard to pray for along time,but when you pray in the spirit or tongues you can pray for hours.
God bless you
Raymond

MODERATOR'S COMMENT

This thread has been well discussed. Everyone has stated their views and no one is changing their minds.

With that in mind, it is the opinion of the Moderators, nothing further is to be gained and the thread will be closed.

If anyone wishes to add something to this thread that is of a differing viewpoint and has not already been covered, please let anyone on the Moderator Team know, and reopening of this thread will be considered.

We thank all who participated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back