1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Hmm .. handing over to .. um why?

Discussion in 'Biblical Advices' started by Michael Collum, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Hmm .. handing over to .. um why?

Reminiscing on some of the conversations of last week . This thought dawned on me just now .

1 Corinthians 5:5

5hand this man over to Satan, so that the flesh may be destroyed and his spirit saved on the day of the Lord.

1 Timothy 1:18-20

18Timothy, my son, I give you this instruction in keeping with the prophecies once made about you, so that by following them you may fight the good fight, 19holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked their faith. 20Among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme.

What teaching have you received on this? have you done this without even knowing it? What is this all about anyway? It sounds like it has a redemptive purpose i.e. "so the body might be destroyed but the soul saved on the day of the Lord" but 1) what have you been taught on it? and 2) have you ever done it? if so, 3) why?

and 4) Looking back on your life . is there a time when this might have happened to you?
    5) How is this particular thing different from the Lord chastening us like children ?
  2. There is strength in fellowshipping one with another in the body of Christ. When together like this, the adversary hasn't a lot of success against us.
    But for an unrepentant sinner in our midst, we are to withdraw from that person.

(2Th 3:6) Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.
    (1Ti 6:5) Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

This puts them in a naked vulnerable position (yes, as the Lord chastening us) where they will find themselves starkly facing the consequences of their own sinfulness. This hopefully, will result in their repentance. If not, at least it saves the body of Christ from having to put up with his unrepentant actions or speech, whatever it is.

Yes, I've been in this situation. Both sides. When young, I was rightfully avoided by others because of my indescretions, which turned my head around eventually. As I'm older, I find that as I discern a disobedient spirit in another, I am led by the Holy Spirit to not have fellowship with such a person.