Hey everyone

Is catholicism the same as christianity? I have had some people say yes and others say no

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
hey everyone, I'm new here and also a new christian.
I have a question i have been curious about for awhile now, is Catholicism the same as Christianity?

Welcome to cfs Georgia,
Make your self at home and if you have any issues or problems please feel free to contact any staff member and we will do our best to make things right.

If you have not yet had a chance please look over the forum policies and procedures and this should help make your time here at cfs a safe and joyful time.
Again Welcome
Blessings
FCJ

I have a question i have been curious about for awhile now, is Catholicism the same as Christianity?

Welcome Georgia to cfs! Its good to have you here. God bless you abundantly :)

To be really honest the word catholic means Christian, but in a lot of ways they are very different.
Here is what got questions.org has to say......

Question: "What is the meaning/definition of the word Catholic?"

Answer:
The word catholic literally means "universal," as in "the universal church." It originally was applied to all Christians because we are all part of the universal church in the way that we are all members of the Body of Christ. The Latin word iscatholicus, and in Greek it is katholikos, from the Greek phrase meaning "on the whole, according to the whole or in general." The word in English can mean "including a wide variety of things; all-embracing," or "of the Roman Catholic faith," or "relating to the historic doctrine and practice of the Western Church.”

Catholic was first used to describe the Christian Church in the early 2nd century to emphasize its universal scope. The term has been incorporated into the name of the largest Christian communion, the Roman Catholic Church, which consists of 23 churches sui iuris, in full communion with the Bishop of Rome. The largest of these, the Latin Rite consists of nearly 95 percent of the population of the Catholic Church. The remaining 5 percent consist of the 22 Eastern Catholic Churches. Some Protestant churches use the term "catholic Church" to refer broadly to all believers in Jesus Christ across the world and the ages, regardless of denominational affiliation. Generally, to avoid confusion between this concept and the Roman Catholic Church, theologians will refer to the “universal church” as the “church catholic,” utilizing the lower case, instead of “Catholic Church.”

The Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Anglican, and Lutheran, and some Methodists declare that their churches are catholic in the sense that they are in continuity with the original universal church founded by the apostles. The Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox churches all believe that their church is the only original and universal church. Catholicity is considered one of Four Marks of the Church, the others being unity, sanctity, and apostolicity according to the Nicene Creed of 381: "I believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church." It is crucially important to remember, though, that when the early Christians used the term “catholic,” they were not referring to any particular church, denomination, rite, or communion. They were simply referring to all true believers in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Welcome Georgia to cfs! Its good to have you here. God bless you abundantly :)

To be really honest the word catholic means Christian, but in a lot of ways they are very different.
Here is what got questions.org has to say......

Question: "What is the meaning/definition of the word Catholic?"

Answer:
The word catholic literally means "universal," as in "the universal church." It originally was applied to all Christians because we are all part of the universal church in the way that we are all members of the Body of Christ. The Latin word iscatholicus, and in Greek it is katholikos, from the Greek phrase meaning "on the whole, according to the whole or in general." The word in English can mean "including a wide variety of things; all-embracing," or "of the Roman Catholic faith," or "relating to the historic doctrine and practice of the Western Church.”

Catholic was first used to describe the Christian Church in the early 2nd century to emphasize its universal scope. The term has been incorporated into the name of the largest Christian communion, the Roman Catholic Church, which consists of 23 churches sui iuris, in full communion with the Bishop of Rome. The largest of these, the Latin Rite consists of nearly 95 percent of the population of the Catholic Church. The remaining 5 percent consist of the 22 Eastern Catholic Churches. Some Protestant churches use the term "catholic Church" to refer broadly to all believers in Jesus Christ across the world and the ages, regardless of denominational affiliation. Generally, to avoid confusion between this concept and the Roman Catholic Church, theologians will refer to the “universal church” as the “church catholic,” utilizing the lower case, instead of “Catholic Church.”

The Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Anglican, and Lutheran, and some Methodists declare that their churches are catholic in the sense that they are in continuity with the original universal church founded by the apostles. The Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox churches all believe that their church is the only original and universal church. Catholicity is considered one of Four Marks of the Church, the others being unity, sanctity, and apostolicity according to the Nicene Creed of 381: "I believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church." It is crucially important to remember, though, that when the early Christians used the term “catholic,” they were not referring to any particular church, denomination, rite, or communion. They were simply referring to all true believers in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Howdy-word-e1424268933254.png

Welcome Georgia!! :D

As to your question, I think the question is too broad. It's judging everyone who is called Catholic a Christian or not a Christian. Only God knows our hearts. There are people who claim to be Christian, but are living a lie, and going to hell. God never asked or wanted denominations, but we have 41,000 "Christian" denominations. Which one is correct? Only one is, God's. In other words, don't judge someone by the label others have slapped on them, but by their actions. Find those with the power, and you'll find a Christian.

1 Corinthians 4:20 (KJV)
For the kingdom of God [is] not in word, but in power.​

Back