Hebrew Vs Aramaic ..

Jhn 19:20 Therefore many of the Jews read this inscription, for the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city; and it was written in Hebrew, G1447 Latin and in Greek

notice in these verses, John gives the Hebrew (not Aramaic) to his Greek speaking audience .. meaning Jews spoke Hebrew as well as Aramaic ..

notice no verses giving untranslated words pertaining to that used within Israel, none used the אֲרָמי 'Aramiyth (Hebrew meaning Aramaic) or the Ἑβραΐς Hebraïs (Greek meaning Aramaic) ..

note see 2Ki 18:26, Ezr 4:7, Isa 36:11 & Dan 2:4

also notice the Aramaic was not what the Chaldee's normally spoke (Dan 2:4) ..
the below verses reflect the word "Hebrew" in the Greek ..
G1447 Ἑβραϊστί - Hebraïsti

Jhn 5:2 - Bethesda
Jhn 19:13 - Gabbatha
Jhn 19:17 - Golgotha
Jhn 19:20 - (this verse verifies Jews spoke Hebrew within Israel)
Jhn 20:16 - Rabboni
Rev 9:11 - Apollyon

note: in Rev 9:11, John is not giving a proper name but a title ..
the below verses reflect the word "Aramaic" in the Greek ..
G1446 Ἑβραΐς - Hebraïs

Act 21:40, Act 22:2 & Act 26:14

note: I forgot this one ..
Rev 16:16 And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue G1447 Armageddon.

Jesus' direct speech untranslated ..

Mar 7:34 εφφαθα ephphatha g2188
pathach (Hebrew)
pĕthach (Aramaic)

note: there is no clue to which of the two languages the Greek source is referring to ..

Mar 15:34 ἐλωΐ elōï g1682 ἐλωΐ elōï g1682 λεμά lema g2982 σαβαχθάνι sabachthani g4518
eloi (Hebrew)(my God)
'elahh (Aramaic)
'elowahh (Hebrew from which the above Aramaic is derived
elo-wahh to el-ahh)
note: elowahh aka elō'ah is the formal version of "el", in that in names "the I Am" as wahh" or "Yahh") note: el today still carries the meaning of "the" as the Hebrews meant it "the one and only" (God) ..

Psa 22:1
For the choir director; upon Aijeleth Hashshahar. A Psalm of David.
My God, my God, why have You forsaken me? Far from my deliverance are the words of my groaning.
אֵל 'el h410 (reflects "the one" or "the I AM")
מָה mah h4100
`azab h5800 (to leave without aid)(see Ex 25:5)
(note: the verse cites`azab`azab`azab)
(meaning if without aid, do not leave without giving aid)

Exd 23:6 “You shall not pervert the justice due to your needy brother in his dispute.
Psa 22:24 For He has not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; Nor has He hidden His face from him; But when he cried to Him for help, He heard.
Mat 27:46 ἠλί ēli ἠλί ēli λεμά lema σαβαχθάνι sabachthani
Mat 27:46 “ELI, ELI, LAMA SABACHTHANI?”
ἠλί ēli
so the only difference between the two Gospels is eloi & eli ..
note: the transliteration given "Lama" was altered by the translator from "Lema" to purposely reflect the Aramaic .. however, the Greek reflect the "e" of the Hebrew ..

my opinion is Jesus being close to death, and suffocating on the cross spoke with much difficulty at this point, and most likely it came out as "eli" but was understood He meant "eloi" (via the HS since Matthew was not at the cross) .. the Gospel of John Mark (most likely scribed by him for Peter) would reflect the actual .. the HS inspiring both versions to be wrote, not conflicting, but giving elucidation of the event ..

http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Mar&c=5&v=41&t=NASB#s=962041
Mar 5:41 ταλιθα talitha κουμ koum

talitha (fem case) which means "little lamb"
is derived from taleh which means "lamb" (see Isa 40:11) ..
quwm h6965 (see Gen 43:8)(Hebrew)
quwm h6966 (which you will only find in Dan or Ezr which were wrote in Babylon)(Aramaic)
note: there is no clue to which of the two languages the Greek source is referring to ..

note: the earliest Rabbinic literature (the Mishnah, the Tosefta) is preserved in Hebrew not Aramaic ..

Last edited:
Back