Healing

God has give US the power to heal ourselves and others. The only necessary component: faith. Everything in the scriptures from Gen to Rev is about trusting in God. It's finished and settled.

So.... What do you define as "Faith" - and does faith necessarily include Obedience or not? Whose "Faith" is required?

If the Power was within YOU - why would ANYONE ever have to learn "My grace is sufficient for you"...

So.... What do you define as "Faith" - and does faith necessarily include Obedience or not? Whose "Faith" is required?

If the Power was within YOU - why would ANYONE ever have to learn "My grace is sufficient for you"...
You need to reread several times what I wrote and meditate on the word of God given. You have everything you need. Here's your answer as to the definition of faith.

Hebrews 11:1 (KJV)
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

I think the passage in Isaiah 53 speaks mostly to the healing of spiritual sickness (our iniquities, transgressions, and chastized shalom). Does anyone else see that?

The irony of all this is that Last week - I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly.... but as I studied the scriptures more - I noticed these details... critical details that somehow - the people talking about "Healing" not being a Calling within the Church never drug out the details within the scriptures themselves......

So.. I am dragging them out....

You just made my point with your own interpretation of the bible verse.... By your own Interpretation - you claim that Even JESUS himself - The Son of God in Flesh - was UNABLE to heal certain people at certain times due to a condition outside of himself... Which means HEALING is not a Power that can be wielded by men....

If healing was a Power wielded by Men - why could JESUS himself not heal people in certain situations? Is it because JESUS did not have enough faith - because that's what you are claiming....

That's what you are claiming when you state that Miracles don't happen because we don't have enough faith.... Therefore, Jesus did NOT have enough faith in certain situations because HE could not heal in all situations....
Right? Nope.... Obviously, something is wrong with this position.... because Jesus DID have enough faith!

now.. you will say... Well.. It was those dirty old people with weak faith... and their lack of faith prevented them from BEING healed.... Well... How then did Jesus cast out the demon in the the blind mute (Matt 12:22) - that man could neither have understood, nor seen to believe Jesus was capable of doing anything.. And.. he was demon possessed on top of that.... so THAT man certainly did not have enough "faith" - in the sense of "Belief" in Jesus.... but he was healed....

By your interpretation (And my former interpretation) - these would all be contradictory.... There's no rhyme or reason to why he healed one day and not the next if it's just your "Belief in God" that's operative....

Unless.... we are missing something important here...

Sometimes, Men are allowed to take part in Miracles out of obedience to God... But... The miracle comes from God... Man's "performance" is obedience - not wishing for party tricks.. Our "Job" in a miracle is Witnessing and TESTIFYING to God's miracle... on God's timeline.... to God's display of sovereign will and power.... Our "Faith" in this situation is being Obedient to God's Command.... To DECLARE it before Men... Stand Up! God is Healing YOU right NOW!

Let's look at a specific situation where God runs us through the nuts and bolts of a miracle in slow motion....
So... Go on back to Exodus 17:1-6....
God commands Moses - Go strike the rock and I will provide water....
Moses goes before the People - he strikes the Rock... and Water comes out....
The PEOPLE observe that Moses did a miracle in front of them...
Moses must be a Miracle worker... Right?
Well.... No... God did the miracle..... Moses was being obedient and banging on a rock and declaring that God would provide water.....

Now..let's go back to Mark 6:3....
Jesus can't heal these people because of their lack of faith.......
Jesus is being OBEDIENT to God the Father - and obediently NOT healing them because of their LACK of Obedience to God the Father.....
What was their Lack of Obedience? Those people would not TESTIFY that Jesus had worked a Miracle of God in their midst.. They would not BELIEVE in Jesus.. Mark 6:4 "A prophet has no honor among his own people"...

At least that's how I currently see it...
Of course Jesus had faith. And scripture says the people lacked faith. If you don't want the gift and lack faith that is on you.

This one is a fun one to dig around in the Scriptures.....

So... Instructive is that Paul lists "Gifts of Healing" in many lists.....
So far as I could find - in his lists, he never uses "Healing" that's not prefaced....
Specifically - here, the greek word for "Gift" means an unwarranted favor - as in like a Christmas present....
It denotes a "Thing" given - and that "Thing" is A Healing.... It does NOT mean an ability to produce such things....

My current opinion on this is that a "Gift of Healing" is like a Christmas present that God gives someone in need..... It is a manifestation of the Divine Sovereignty and Power of God's Mercy and Love in response to the condition of the person needing the Healing.... God may ALSO manifest a healing as a WITNESS to US of His Own Divine Sovereignty and Power.....

Note that None of Paul's lists has "Healer" listed as an Office or a Calling.....
None of Pauls lists list "Healing" in the Verb sense - as in Man providing or administer healing...

Scripture wise - the ONLY MAN who EVER was able to heal 100% on command was Jesus....

Even among the Apostles - "Healing" was a Miracle bestowed by God... They did not have the "Ability" to heal... Not Peter, not Paul, not the rest of the Apostles.... Only Jesus was able to heal 100% of people, any time.

John.....I would point out that the Apostles had the same abilities as did Jesus. Jesus commissioned them in Marl 16:17-18
"And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Many miracles were performed by the apostles (2:43). Peter healed the lame man at the Temple (3:7-11). God answered Peter in a miraculous earthquake (4:31). Ananias and Sapphira were slain by the Lord (5:5-10). Signs and wonders continued to be done by the apostles (5:12). Peter healed many from various cities (5:12-16). The prison doors were opened by an angel (5:19). Stephen wrought great wonders and signs (6:8). In Samaria, Philip did great miracles and signs (8:6,7,13).

What does the Bible teach us about healing?
To Christians:
1. It teaches that we walk in His provision Isa 33:15-16
2. It teaches that some of us may be sick if we in sin 1 Cor 11:30.
3. It teaches that faith is needed to pray for sickness James 5:15.

To the unGodly:
1. God does not listen to their prayers John 9:31. They can have the ebola virus and beg for God to help them and He will not hear them.

The big annoyance with the discussion on healing is that Christians get entangled on the subject of faith. Suggesting it is on par with positive thinking.

We are given a measure of faith when we get saved Rom 12:3. This measure is clearly from the Holy Spirit and sufficient to call Jesus Lord 1 Cor 12:3. So now, we have solid faith (like gravity) in believing a man who died 2000 years ago rose from the dead and is God. Let's say it is $1million faith. Now faith of a mustard seed can move a mountain. A mustard seed is 2-3 millimeters in diameter. God's example clearly had a sarcastic motive. He wants us to grasp that faith needed to move a mountain is not even $1 faith. Now faith needed for healing? Less then a mountain surely? and far less then our $1million dollar faith already given. We have another example of God's faith related sarcasm in Matt 6:26.

Conclusion: A Christian lives at a very high level of faith. Prayer for healing is far beneath them. That is why elders should be called. It is not always a simple matter. There could be sin. It could be God's will.

Other facts to consider:

1. Sinners are sick. Christians are not sinners. We have sin, but are not 'sinners'.

Mark 2:17 On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.

2. Elders have qualifications. You and I are not elders.

James 5:14-15 Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven.

3. Age = inevitable sickness for Christians too.

2 Cor 4:16-17 This is the reason we never lose heart. The outward man does indeed suffer wear and tear, but every day the inward man receives fresh strength. These little troubles (which are really so transitory) are winning for us a permanent, glorious and solid reward out of all proportion to our pain.

4. Lay hands on no man suddenly 1 Tim 5:22. If a demon is causing someone's sickness and we cast it out. They return with seven times more Luke 11:24-26. So basically someone healing someone of the flu (chasing out a demon) could be giving them the ebola in a weeks time :giggle:.

5. We walk in God's full provision as children of God. Does a kid need to ask a father for a bandage? Does a kid need to speak confidently to get a bandage? Does a kid need to memorize words (by His stripes we are healed) to get a bandage? Will a good father not help the nervous (appearance of no faith)/ dumb (can't read scripture in the first place) / retarded / stupid / stuttering / young / illiterate child first?

Last edited:
KingJ, though I loved your exposition I would like to point out that two words are usually used to refer to physical healing in the NT...one is iaomai (to heal, to cure), and the other is therapeuo (from which we get "therapy", to work towards a cure, to make the unsettled condition right so as to promote healing)...but in James 5 the prayer of faith could be the sick persons confession of Christ and before God, and as for the "shall save the sick" is not the same as to "cure their disease", but sozo or "save"....IMO this could be (not is) to assure their place in Christ's promised resurrection (Christ in you the hope of Glory)...as this is the NT common usage for the term being "raised up"...otherwise why finish the statement with the forgiveness of their sins...I admit this is something somewhat speculative...so what do you brothers and sisters think?

KingJ, though I loved your exposition I would like to point out that two words are usually used to refer to physical healing in the NT...one is iaomai (to heal, to cure), and the other is therapeuo (from which we get "therapy", to work towards a cure, to make the unsettled condition right so as to promote healing)...but in James 5 the prayer of faith could be the sick persons confession of Christ and before God, and as for the "shall save the sick" is not the same as to "cure their disease", but sozo or "save"....IMO this could be (not is) to assure their place in Christ's promised resurrection (Christ in you the hope of Glory)...as this is the NT common usage for the term being "raised up"...otherwise why finish the statement with the forgiveness of their sins...I admit this is something somewhat speculative...so what do you brothers and sisters think?
I agree with you. I would say James 5:14-15 contains both scenario's.

My opinion is that God heals anyone He chooses whenever He chooses!

That same opinion then says that a man or woman does not have that ability today whether they be a pastor, teacher, evangelist or whatever. The healing power of of God's Holy Spirit is NOT a "force" which an individule can call down or upon and demand He do what we ask of Him simple because we faith in God. That to me is blasphemous.

This one is a fun one to dig around in the Scriptures.....

So... Instructive is that Paul lists "Gifts of Healing" in many lists.....
So far as I could find - in his lists, he never uses "Healing" that's not prefaced....
Specifically - here, the greek word for "Gift" means an unwarranted favor - as in like a Christmas present....
It denotes a "Thing" given - and that "Thing" is A Healing.... It does NOT mean an ability to produce such things....

My current opinion on this is that a "Gift of Healing" is like a Christmas present that God gives someone in need..... It is a manifestation of the Divine Sovereignty and Power of God's Mercy and Love in response to the condition of the person needing the Healing.... God may ALSO manifest a healing as a WITNESS to US of His Own Divine Sovereignty and Power.....

Note that None of Paul's lists has "Healer" listed as an Office or a Calling.....
None of Pauls lists list "Healing" in the Verb sense - as in Man providing or administer healing...

Scripture wise - the ONLY MAN who EVER was able to heal 100% on command was Jesus....

Even among the Apostles - "Healing" was a Miracle bestowed by God... They did not have the "Ability" to heal... Not Peter, not Paul, not the rest of the Apostles.... Only Jesus was able to heal 100% of people, any time.
I liked your post because the point you brought is very valid.. Healing is a gift from God to the person being healed.. I can absolutely agree with that.. If a pastor prays for a person and he is healed, then the gift is received by the person who is healed.. But God uses certain people as vessels.. It does not make them "healers". Or God does not call evangelists to host healing crusades (only place to expect healings!!!) As Major rightly said, God choose when, where and through whom healing will come. He can use a person or not use a person..

As a believer, we are called to love our neighbor as we love ourselves.. That is what Lord wants us.. When we are sick, we cry to Lord "Heal me Lord!!". We are to do the same thing when we see someone else who needs healing.. We are to have the same burden.. That is the key point for me to look at gifts of the spirit.. What is our attitude towards those gifts.. It is for edification of the Church.. Love is top among all the gifts.. In fact, love is the essence of the gifts.. Praying for someone to be healed without a love for them - don't think it works that way.. That is why I believe in calling my pastor when I am in trouble than a popular healing evangelist.. I used to do that many years ago.. But as I study scripture more, I understand without love these gifts do not make any sense..

Actually you are wrong. Even Jesus couldn't heal people who lacked faith (Mark 6:5). It says he only was able to heal a few not everyone. The Apostles healed people all the time, through the power of God. When we are saved and filled with the Holy Spirit we have received this gift. Jesus commanded for us to heal the sick, raise the dead and cast out demons. Matthew 10:8. It is a great deception from Satan that people have stopped believing we have the power to heal as well. You keep on spreading those false statements about healing then you will be limited on what God promises He will do through us.

Not that I disagree with you, but your post had me thinking. Mainly the verse you mention where it says "Heal the sick, raise the dead." My question would be who actually needs to have the faith, the one healing, or the one being healed? Does it have to be one or the other? Could it be both? If not, then are we saying the dead that was raised, had faith? Or did the one raising the dead have faith? Great thought provoking post!

Not that I disagree with you, but your post had me thinking. Mainly the verse you mention where it says "Heal the sick, raise the dead." My question would be who actually needs to have the faith, the one healing, or the one being healed? Does it have to be one or the other? Could it be both? If not, then are we saying the dead that was raised, had faith? Or did the one raising the dead have faith? Great thought provoking post!
Great question. Raising the dead only the person raising the dead has to have faith. The reason two have to have faith is because lack of faith will hinder the healing. A dead person is dead therefore no lack of faith is in play. If a person goes around saying it is Gods will Im sick then they will continue or maybe take longer to be sick.

Great question. Raising the dead only the person raising the dead has to have faith. The reason two have to have faith is because lack of faith will hinder the healing. A dead person is dead therefore no lack of faith is in play. If a person goes around saying it is Gods will Im sick then they will continue or maybe take longer to be sick.
Would this be just for healing, or would this apply to all miracles being performed?

I just thought of something..

Let's say there is a family. There is a mother who is in a coma. She has two sons. One of the sons has great faith, and believes God will heal his mother. The other son listens to the doctor, and doubts his mother will be healed. Will the son with doubt affect the other son's faith, and hinder the mother being healed through faith?

God heals us spiritually, physically and emotionally. He cares about our entire person. And, he heals in many different ways, too.

Back