"Have your mind on the things that are above"

Chris, I am just and old country boy, no more and no less. I just read a book by Chuck Swindoll titled "Growing Deep in the Christian Life" where he talks about what you just posted.

His quote was....
" When the believer dies, the body goes into the grave; the soul and spirit go immediately to be with the Lord Jesus awaiting the body's resurrection, when they're joined together to be forever with the Lord in eternal bliss."

Is that what you are saying or are you saying something else?
Hello Major,

You may be 'just a country boy', and I just a miner's daughter from the Welsh valley's, but we are known of God, in Christ, and precious.

Praise God!

I believe the testimony of Scripture to be that man does not have an immortal soul: for it is said that, 'the soul that sinneth it shall surely die'. God made man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became - a living soul. The body, energized by the spirit, or 'breath of life', is a living soul: that meaning the whole person.

What is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole wide world and lose his own soul, or his whole being be lost in death, with no hope of resurrection life? Eternal life is the gift of God. Without it, the wages of sin is death,

If the soul is mortal, there is no need to consider it's destination, for when life leaves the body it goes to the place of the dead: or as in the case of the believer, is considered by God to be 'asleep in Christ', awaiting resurrection. 'When I awake' is the language used of those who await the resurrection.

Our life is hid with Christ in God, and when He appears in glory we shall appear with Him. Praise God!

Thank you, Major,
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Ps. Forgive the lack of references, but I am writing this on my Kindle, which is not as convenient as the computer.

Gen 1:26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

Nothing here about a soul being the body and spirit. What I find is "according to Our likeness" and image. What is God's essence? Of course, the Father, Son(the Word) and Holy Spirit. So I see that we must have three also. The Son would be the body. The Holy Spirit must be the spirit. And that leaves the Father as the soul.
I see an analogy in writing.

We refer to the body of the work. Those are all the words. That fits well with Jesus representing the body and the words.

Then we talk about the spirit of the words or the document. As in the spirit of the law, not the letter of the law. This entails the intent or the meaning of application.

That leaves us with the soul of the work or document. The knowledge contained. This is the inner light within us, what separates us from animals. As Matthew 6:22-23 shows: "The light of the body is the eye". The eye here means metaphorically the eyes of the mind or the faculty of knowing.

So we are left with our soul is the knowledge, the capability to know, our meaning of existence, our will. Our spirit is the reason for doing, the impetus for the work. And our body is what carries out the work, fulfills the will and purpose.

Hello Major,

You may be 'just a country boy', and I just a miner's daughter from the Welsh valley's, but we are known of God, in Christ, and precious.

Praise God!

I believe the testimony of Scripture to be that man does not have an immortal soul: for it is said that, 'the soul that sinneth it shall surely die'. God made man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became - a living soul. The body, energized by the spirit, or 'breath of life', is a living soul: that meaning the whole person.

What is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole wide world and lose his own soul, or his whole being be lost in death, with no hope of resurrection life? Eternal life is the gift of God. Without it, the wages of sin is death,

If the soul is mortal, there is no need to consider it's destination, for when life leaves the body it goes to the place of the dead: or as in the case of the believer, is considered by God to be 'asleep in Christ', awaiting resurrection. 'When I awake' is the language used of those who await the resurrection.

Our life is hid with Christ in God, and when He appears in glory we shall appear with Him. Praise God!

Thank you, Major,
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Ps. Forgive the lack of references, but I am writing this on my Kindle, which is not as convenient as the computer.

I enjoy reading your perspectives and I believe we can have a discussion on this.

It is my understanding that the teaching of the Bible is that all people, whether they are saved or lost, will exist eternally, in either heaven or hell. True life or spiritual life does not cease when our fleshly bodies pass away in death. Our souls will live forever, either in the presence of God in heaven if we are saved, or in punishment in hell if we reject God’s gift of salvation.

IF the soul is mortal, how do we explain Luke 23:46.........
"And Jesus, crying out with a loud voice, said, "Father, into Your hands I commit My Spirit." Having said this, He breathed His last."

Jesus, as God's Son, knew He would be spiritually present in the Father's "hands" at the very moment of His death, not asleep in the grave.

Now, doesn't that confirm 2 Corth. 5:6-8 ...........
"Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord—for we walk by faith, not by sight—we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord."

@Big Moose
@Major

Hello there,
You have both made statements of faith in regard to the subject of , 'the soul', as did I in responding to Major's enquiry in my last entry.

In consideration of my entry, I felt that I came perilously close to breaking a forum rule, by introducing a subject which we have been told to avoid.

This being so, and considering also that the original subject is being lost by continuing this line of enquiry, I will stand by what I have already said, and leave your statements unchallenged.

It is for each of us to bring what has been said to God's Word, and let it be the sole arbiter regarding it.

Thank you both
In Christ Jesus
Chris

"If therefore ye have been raised with the Christ, seek the things which are above, where the Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God: have your mind on the things that are above, not on the things that are on the earth; for ye have died, and your life is hid with the Christ in God. When the Christ is manifested who is our life, then shall ye also be manifested with him in glory." - Colossians 3:1-4

I hope we can have a discussion about the practical application of this scripture.

Hello Grant,
I feel that this subject has by no means been exhausted, and I hope to come back to it.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

@Big Moose
@Major

Hello there,
You have both made statements of faith in regard to the subject of , 'the soul', as did I in responding to Major's enquiry in my last entry.

In consideration of my entry, I felt that I came perilously close to breaking a forum rule, by introducing a subject which we have been told to avoid.

This being so, and considering also that the original subject is being lost by continuing this line of enquiry, I will stand by what I have already said, and leave your statements unchallenged.

It is for each of us to bring what has been said to God's Word, and let it be the sole arbiter regarding it.

Thank you both
In Christ Jesus
Chris

That is fine with me sister. I had no motive except the joy of discussion. Be well and God bless you!

Heb 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
Heb 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
Heb 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant...

(Joh 11:26) And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

@Big Moose
@Major

Hello there,

Thank you both
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Well said. There is not much gained in "You're wrong.........no YOU'RE wrong" type of back and forth arguing.
But I think there is absolutely nothing wrong in stating a position stated in scripture, based on the level of understanding one has.
It is one thing to add something new to the discussion, but to respond just to say you're wrong or state the same idea again for the purpose of disagreement is aggravating and bullheaded.
You, Chris, have not come anywhere close to the latter and I appreciate it.

‘If ye then be risen with Christ,
seek those things which are above,
where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
Set your affection on things above,
not on things on the earth.
For ye are dead,
and your life is hid
with Christ in God.
When Christ,
who is our life,
shall appear,
then shall ye also appear
with Him in glory.’

(Col. 3:1-4)

Hello there, Grant.
The opening post asked what was above for us to set our affection on, and what are the things which are above?

* We know that Christ Jesus, rose ‘far above all heavens (Eph. 4:10), and is set down at the right hand of the Father, ‘in heavenly places. (Eph. 1:20) That He is above, both positionally and in rank, principality, and power and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come. (Eph. 1:20,21)

* Well, apart from the risen Christ, and God the Father, it is there that ‘all spiritual blessings’ await us, ‘in heavenly places’ - in Christ, isn’t it?

* We who are members of the Church which is Christ’s Body, who are being builded together as an holy temple in the Lord, a habitation of God by His Spirit, (Eph. 2:22) we are God’s own inheritance in the Holy Place (Eph. 1:18), and also have an inheritance in Christ Jesus. (Eph. 1:11, Col.1:12)

* We know that at the present time He is patiently waiting until all enemies be placed under His feet, the last enemy being death.

* The Lord promised His disciples that He was going to prepare a place for them, that where He is, there they may be also (in resurrection).
* We know that they will sit with Him, on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
* We know that the Heavenly Jerusalem, will descend out of heaven, to the earth. (John 14:3, Rev.20:2, 21:2), that it has been in the process of being ‘prepared’.
* We know also that He is our advocate before the Father. (1 John 2:1)
* He is also Head over all things to the Church.
So, the Lord is busy, there is much going on where He is.

These are all things which are above, aren't they?
There are probably many more that can be brought to mind.

* There are callings and spheres of blessing other than our own, and each require His attention, both on the earth, in the heavens, and far above all heavens, for He fills all things.

Praise His Holy Name!

These are just thoughts, Grant
Thank you for giving them occasion
to come to the forefront of my mind like this.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
For ye are dead,
and your life is hid
with Christ in God.
When Christ,
who is our life,
shall appear,
with Him in glory.’

Hello there, Grant.
The opening post asked what was above for us to set our affection on, and what are the things which are above?

* We know that Christ Jesus, rose ‘far above all heavens (Eph. 4:10), and is set down at the right hand of the Father, ‘in heavenly places. (Eph. 1:20) That He is above, both positionally and in rank, principality, and power and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come. (Eph. 1:20,21)

* Well, apart from the risen Christ, and God the Father, it is there that ‘all spiritual blessings’ await us, ‘in heavenly places’ - in Christ, isn’t it?

* We who are members of the Church which is Christ’s Body, who are being builded together as an holy temple in the Lord, a habitation of God by His Spirit, (Eph. 2:22) we are God’s own inheritance in the Holy Place (Eph. 1:18), and also have an inheritance in Christ Jesus. (Eph. 1:11, Col.1:12)

* We know that at the present time He is patiently waiting until all enemies be placed under His feet, the last enemy being death.

* The Lord promised His disciples that He was going to prepare a place for them, that where He is, there they may be also (in resurrection).
* We know that they will sit with Him, on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
* We know that the Heavenly Jerusalem, will descend out of heaven, to the earth. (John 14:3, Rev.20:2, 21:2), that it has been in the process of being ‘prepared’.

* There are callings and spheres of blessing other than our own, and each require His attention, both on the earth, in the heavens, and far above all heavens, for He fills all things.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Thank you, Chris, that's a very comprehensive list. Those are most definitely the things that are above, and how wonderful they are!

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenlies in Christ..." - Ephesians 1:3

I feel that if we have our minds on the things that are above, we'll know these spiritual blessings. We'll have a foretaste of heaven, and be in the present enjoyment of eternal life.

This is so great! I really love the points you made about our old man. It's so easy to take our eyes off the things that are above, and search for things that will perish over time. But like Paul says, our hope and focus should be on the things that are above, and the redemption of our bodies on the glorious day Christ will return.

This is so great! I really love the points you made about our old man. It's so easy to take our eyes off the things that are above, and search for things that will perish over time. But like Paul says, our hope and focus should be on the things that are above, and the redemption of our bodies on the glorious day Christ will return.
Welcome to CFS @QueenHonolulu,

Please take a few moments to read the information within the following links.

http://www.christianforumsite.com/categories/your-welcome-pack.104/

http://www.christianforumsite.com/categories/getting-started-learn-how-to-use-your-account.101/

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact any staff member who would be happy to help.

Chris, I am just and old country boy, no more and no less. I just read a book by Chuck Swindoll titled "Growing Deep in the Christian Life" where he talks about what you just posted.
Just so happens I'm reading that book myself... a used 1987 copy. Gotta grow deep in Christ's life.

For ye are dead,
and your life is hid
with Christ in God.
When Christ,
who is our life,
shall appear,
with Him in glory.’

Hello there, Grant.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris
And they are good thoughts!

Welcome! I hope that we will be a blessing to you as I pray that you will be all of us.

Hello @Grant Melville,

How very important it is to keep our minds stayed on Christ, where He is, in heavenly places, at God's right hand: yet how contrary it is to the natural tendency within all of us.

* I woke up this morning to a grey day, one of many that we have experienced during this summer season here in the UK, my thoughts inward looking and reflective. Turning to my Bible, I opened it, and read randomly, without purpose. Feeling be-calmed upon life's ocean, and devoid of inspiration. Then I realized what was happening, and the pit I was on the point of falling into, for it is not for me to indulge in inward reflection, or 'random-ness': for I have a purpose, a wonderful purpose, my life is not 'be-calmed', for there is movement and there is life, vibrant and full of resurrection blessing and hope, in Christ. My inward eye went upward to the hope and promise that is in Christ Jesus, my spirit rose, and joy came, the day was still 'grey', outside my window, but within was 'son-light'.

'Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace,
whose mind is stayed on Thee:
because he trusteth in Thee.'

(Isa 26:3)

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Phil.4:1-9

* Our life in Christ is experienced within 'resurrection life', His life, where there is no 'corruption' as there is in the flesh. We do not have to strive to 'be' there, just recognize that we 'are' there - in Christ Jesus, and rejoice, rejoice, rejoice!

'Rejoice in the Lord alway:
and again I say, "Rejoice."
Let your moderation be known unto all men.
The Lord is at hand.
Be careful for nothing;
but in every thing
by prayer and supplication
with thanksgiving
let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God,
which passeth all understanding,
shall keep your hearts
and minds
through Christ Jesus.
Finally, brethren,
whatsoever things are true,
whatsoever things are honest,
whatsoever things are just,
whatsoever things are pure,
whatsoever things are lovely,
whatsoever things are of good report;